Thread: Perch

Frequent User

Default Perch

After some advice on fishing for perch. Let me set the scene...

I'm a carp angler and have been for 20 years or so but now and again I may fish the river Wye or go to a local commercial lakes to catch silvers and smaller species. I am by no means experienced in this type of fishing. Anyway, the water I fish is a pit of around 45 acres of which from November through til April you are extremely lucky to see a carp, let alone catch one. The pit also contains some perch and a large number of pike up to mid 20's (although no one fishes for them so maybe bigger!). I have seen small shoals of big perch when out in the boat baiting up for carp, some of which would easily go 3lb and dare I say it but some looked 4lb comfortably. There is only 8 of us that fish the water and we only ever fish for the limited number of carp. So, what I wanted to know, is there anyway of targeting the perch without getting hammered by jack pike? I have tried small lures before but was catching 5lb pike every cast, which is fun for a while but soon gets repetitive! I want to concentrate on targeting perch throughout this winter during day sessions only. Would ideally like to fish from the bank but could use boat if necessary to single them out. What tactics should I be using? Small livebaits? Lobworms? Float fished or on the bottom? The water is generally around 10-15ft with sloping margins and gets hammered by the wind as it is quite open. If anyone has any tips or starting points, your advice would be greatly received!! Thanks in advance

I would probably start by fishing prawns. Unlikely to get a pike but if you were to catch a carp you wouldn't be unhappy.

Frequent User

Quote Originally Posted by TAB View Post
    I would probably start by fishing prawns. Unlikely to get a pike but if you were to catch a carp you wouldn't be unhappy.
    Cheers TAB, sounds like a good starting point. Can they be fished on the bottom or would they be more effective popped up off the deck? Float fishing would be an issue due to wind and undertow

on the deck is fine. They can be flavoured too

Hi

You cant beat a live bait. Pike might be a problem, but you will defo pick the better Perch up , in my opinion.

Croxie

OTE=Clarksee;2323697]After some advice on fishing for perch. Let me set the scene...

I'm a carp angler and have been for 20 years or so but now and again I may fish the river Wye or go to a local commercial lakes to catch silvers and smaller species. I am by no means experienced in this type of fishing. Anyway, the water I fish is a pit of around 45 acres of which from November through til April you are extremely lucky to see a carp, let alone catch one. The pit also contains some perch and a large number of pike up to mid 20's (although no one fishes for them so maybe bigger!). I have seen small shoals of big perch when out in the boat baiting up for carp, some of which would easily go 3lb and dare I say it but some looked 4lb comfortably. There is only 8 of us that fish the water and we only ever fish for the limited number of carp. So, what I wanted to know, is there anyway of targeting the perch without getting hammered by jack pike? I have tried small lures before but was catching 5lb pike every cast, which is fun for a while but soon gets repetitive! I want to concentrate on targeting perch throughout this winter during day sessions only. Would ideally like to fish from the bank but could use boat if necessary to single them out. What tactics should I be using? Small livebaits? Lobworms? Float fished or on the bottom? The water is generally around 10-15ft with sloping margins and gets hammered by the wind as it is quite open. If anyone has any tips or starting points, your advice would be greatly received!! Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Frequent User

Cheers lads, I'll be using a couple of rods so can give both methods a go

Sounds like you're a lucky guy Clarksee - having a water like that with little or no predator pressure. Nothing thrives better on neglect than pike and perch and if you're the only one targeting them then you could be on for some awesome fishing if the fish are as big as you say. In my experience Perch tend to look smaller in the water than they are, so it's possible that you could have a few really serious lumps in your lake.

Air injected lobs or popped-up prawns would certainly be a good place to start, although location is the key and it may well pay you to keep mobile. As has been said, small livebaits are very seldom refused by un-pressured perch, although jack pike can be a real pain. Rather than constantly sacrificing your livelies to the snappers, it may be worth keeping a few in a bucket and only using them once you've located the perch with the worms and prawns. At least you'll know that you're presenting your bait in the right area. In my experience they'll rarely get refused. One major advantage you have if the perch haven't been hammered, is that they'll probably be happy to take baits presented on wire traces. Pressured perch can get funny about wire very quickly.

Be prepared to ring the changes with regards to presentation once you start catching a few. Perch can learn very quickly to avoid baits presented in a way in which they've been caught before. being essentially a shoal fish, you only need one spooky fish to put the whole shoal off. On a number of occasions I've known a seemingly barren swim suddenly come alive when the same bait that's been ignored has been presented in a different way.

Very best of luck in your quest for the perch. Put some pictures up when you start catching.
    I started out with nothing.... And I've still got most of it left!

Frequent User

Thanks for the advice Cyprinius and yes, I am very fortunate to be able to fish this water. I think keeping mobile is a must as I don't think there is a huge amount of perch, I think the pike tend to keep the levels down as there does not seem to be any other species present for them to feed on. Saying that, I think someone saw a chub once but we have never hooked one and I have only ever seen perch, pike and carp. I'm pretty sure there is some special ones providing I can find them and I will be extremely happy to put some pics up if/when I get amongst them!

Thanks again for the advice, I now have plenty to go on