Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Game Destinations

Elite (Bronze)

Eh Up Ads,
    How's it going?
    Thank you for the info, I had a look into Florida Keys and they have the blimmin' zika virus too! I've researched the granny out of it recently and think I may have found the right trip... I've been conversing with them over email last few days and it's looking like a goer... Once booked I'll stick a link up on here as I suspect one or two may fancy it in the future... Looks a pretty special outfit...
    Cheers,
    E.T.

Elite (Bronze)

Trip booked... Not sure why but I must admit to having a few nerves about it! Three days live aboard shared between one other angler, the missus and me... Click the small Union Jack top right hand corner for the English site... We're off to Rodrigues... A tiny island 500km east of Mauritius... www.rodfishingclub.com

Site Connoisseur

Great find Toddy! With that kind of trip anythings possible. Looks a great professional operation that I'm sure will be memorable. Good luck, glad you're sorted 👍

Elite (Bronze)

Cheers, Munich, looks decent, eh? The emails going back and to have been nothing short of info packed and very professional... Nine world records to the boat speaks volumes too... It would seem that just two sport fishing boats operate from the island and apparently there is only a little commercial fishing, if any... It's a real slice of adventure fishing that makes the old ticker pick up just thinking about it... We'll be 40 miles out on the Eastern bank, proper isolated in the middle of the ocean! I liked the mix of species and methods they offer, should make for a fun trip and a bit more interesting than three days solid towing plastic... I'd love the missus to catch something big, that would make my day...

Site Connoisseur

The night fishing should be really interesting with Dogtooth, Sharks and Broadbill all possible. Do they take fly gear with them? Something special catching a Broadbill on the fly at night but it is achievable. Those big GT's are a proper fish that'll pull your string, one of my favourite fish to have a battle with on correct gear. When you going and how easy is it to get over there from Mauritius?

Elite (Bronze)

I've not seen fly gear mentioned and think the main focus is a mix of trolling, jigging and bait fishing... I'm more than happy to leave it to the skipper, as he's the one with the knowledge and experience of the area... As I understand it, the night fishing is dependant on weather conditions, as there is an average 2.5m wave height and it can get windy! We are going at the end of March, right on the new moon (uncertain if that makes a difference but I'm told they don't run trips when conditions etc aren't right...) I'm crossing my fingers that the weather is sensible, just a risk that has to be taken I guess... Getting to Rodrigues from Mauritius is easy, direct flights there and back three times a day... We are a few nights in Mauritius, then the side trip to Rodrigues, and finally back to Mauritius for a week, 16 days total... How come? Been tempted by what you've seen?! I'd love a big GT, the battles look ballistic!

Site Connoisseur

Looking at the satellite images of Rodriguez the topography looks great. Huge drop offs into clear water close to the island and spines that gradually drop away. Be interesting which areas he targets.
    Yeah I'm interested! Roughing out a 3 week trip for next year, tentatively looking at something like Kenya then Mozambique then SA. If one of those has to be scrapped it's a great option to do your trip for a week. Cheers for the heads up.

Elite (Bronze)

Are you using google maps to get the satellite imagery, mate? The trip I'm on goes out to the Eastern bank which is 40 odd miles from Rodrigues, but longer trips go out 95 miles to the Hawkins bank... I'm not sure if we will stop and fish on the way out, do some trolling en route, or exactly how it will work... There is another skipper on the island who targets GT's in the immediate area... What fishing are you considering in those areas of Africa? Sounds like a superb trip to mix in a bit of safari etc...

Frequent User

Great thread and has brought back memories of many places I have worked over the years.

Without sounding like a grumpy old man be very carefull of anything you do in west africa as they do like a bit of robbery with violence there.

As also the east cost of africa.

the mozambiqe channel is quite a doggy place as well and the further north you go the worse it gets from a safety point of view.

We had people looking after us offshore and onshore all the time there.

However we did see large fish jumping there not sure what but they where the size of donkeys and that was at a few hundred yards range. Happened a couple of times. This was two years ago as I spent nearly 9 months there working.

Elite (Bronze)

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment in being aware of danger, I can't help but think of living life in a bubble, never seeing anything but the locality in which someone grows up... I've only ever been mugged twice, once in Melbourne by "fake" police, and once in east London, a few hundred yards from my flat, by two lads with a bat... I've travelled to Cambodia, Laos, Fiji, Canada, all over Thailand, Malaysia including Borneo, NZ, all over Australia, extensively in Europe and probably quite a few other places too that escape me but... To experience the planet, different cultures, fishing experiences, incredible scenery, and get an appreciation of our little world, then there is often an inherent risk of being "a long way from home." Who knows what may happen? It's all a part of the nervous excitement of a new experience... Had a few drinks tonight, so forgive me, and I'm sure you know all of this only too well, given your description!

Our kid was out in The Gambia and Senegal within the last month, he said it was absolutely fine, despite what the mainstream media may portray... I'm not for one second suggesting that the world outside of the U.K. isn't without danger, depending upon where we go, just as the same is true in certain parts of the U.K., but my experience is that most people are okay, so long as a streetwise approach is taken... Trust gut feeling, if it doesn't feel right, then forget it... If it feels all good, then crack on and live a life...

Site Connoisseur

That's the way I've always approached angling abroad Toddy. Often the best angling destinations are in poorer more volatile areas of the world. So eyes and ears always open with a cautious approach and enjoy it.

Frequent User

Fair points gents but when you have been asked for a donation ?? at as many airports in africa as I have over the years then your view is always tainted. In all fairness the air ports are much better as they have clamped down on it. Espically Lagos.

Guess the basics of using your eyes , being polite and friendly to all and never flashing loads of cash will get you along way.

Happy traveling.

Elite (Bronze)

When crossing the border between Laos and Cambodia via a boat, it's quite a funny situation because your passport is stamped for exit on the Laos side, then you take the short boat trip to the Cambodian side, at which point you are kind of in "no man's land" without the necessary entry visa... Anyhow, when I did this, the border official at the Cambodian side sternly said "one thousand dollars to enter" despite my visa being in good order... In the end it was, of course, a wind up, but there's nowt like standing in a situation like that and wondering what to do next... I gave him a few dollars and was on my way... Then there are the speed boats down the Mekong that are basically made of balsa wood and you are issued with a crash helmet before getting on board... 50-60mph down a shallow river dodging semi submerged boulders and rocks... It's travel, things happen, it's a privilege to be able to experience them... It's a big old world out there...

Elite (Bronze)

Some good info here for anyone looking for a charter... http://www.marlinmag.com/choosing-ch...&dom=fb#page-7

Elite (Bronze)

Well, we had a top trip... We were a little unlucky with the bill fish in that they didn't seem to be about in any numbers, we raised just the one sailfish but it didn't strike... No sign of any Marlin... We were also hooked up to some nice 25kg class yellowfin that were munched by sharks during the fight... Have to wonder how big the sharks are out there to take such a big fish in one chomp... 😳 We caught plenty in the end, best being a 40kg dogtooth tuna for me, and another of 45kg for my g/f... Top trip, really wild and isolated angling with a great skipper and crew...

Little video here... https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyP...&v=MwP2-heDvCM

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Mullet View Post
    Well, we had a top trip... We were a little unlucky with the bill fish in that they didn't seem to be about in any numbers, we raised just the one sailfish but it didn't strike... No sign of any Marlin... We were also hooked up to some nice 25kg class yellowfin that were munched by sharks during the fight... Have to wonder how big the sharks are out there to take such a big fish in one chomp... �� We caught plenty in the end, best being a 40kg dogtooth tuna for me, and another of 45kg for my g/f... Top trip, really wild and isolated angling with a great skipper and crew...

Little video here... https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyP...&v=MwP2-heDvCM
    lovely fishing in a big swell, nice!
    from the skool of hard knocks and the university of life

Site Connoisseur

Great little video Toddy thanks for sharing. Unlucky with the billfish but that's angling, got a decent stand up technique going there! All smiles judging by the video and that's all that counts. Dropped onto a couple of days tuna fishing and a couple of days beach fishing in South Carolina in May while the Mrs is working out there, can't wait after watching your video! Anywhere else planned?

Elite (Bronze)

Cheers, Munich, it was good fun, also an interesting (but quite basic) place to visit with very little tourism... The trip this week had two Marlin of 80kg and 150kg, plus a dogtooth tuna 35kg, as well as some bigger yellowfin upto 20kg, so it just shows it's luck of the draw what comes along... As you rightly say, that's fishing! We were also getting our live baits snaffled by sharks, which again impacted the fishing... I suspect the sharks (and indeed whole ecosystem) do well due to long lining being banned in the area and there being almost zero commercial fishing either...

Sounds like you have a nice couple of days lined up there... My next specific trip of any duration may possibly be in La Gomera, although there is talk of another mate doing a trip somewhere next year for his 40th... I'll definitely be looking to do the odd day on holiday but as with all this type of fishing, cost is the major issue!

Elite (Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Saint View Post
    lovely fishing in a big swell, nice!
    Indeed, good fun and no land in sight..! It was about 2.5m swell, which is apparently the average in this area of ocean... The boat was specially made for fishing there, with double the usual thickness of hull, taking what should be a 22 ton boat to 30 tons... It is a fishing machine, very stable indeed and we always felt perfectly safe. ��

Site Connoisseur

I'm looking at Costa Rica in November anyone have any first hand /reliable info about the shore fishing? Mrs likes a bit of trekking so anywhere both can be combined would be great. Thanks in advance.