Thread: Paternoster Rig

Default Paternoster Rig

Just preparing myself for the coming winter in which I'll be targeting monster pike. Looking at a few different rigs for presenting baits in various ways (have always just used running rigs or simple inline floats for live baits) - the paternoster which a sunk float looks interesting however, when carp fishing I'd never fish a rig where the lead can't be lost if the line were to break. With the paternoster (using an up trace) other than breaking the weak link I can't see how the lead can be lost? Would think be class as a fixed lead? And more importantly is it safe?
    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

A pike lost through line breakage is most likely a dead pike to hving trebles in it's mouth preventing it feeding. Thus, dropping the lead isn't seen as vital as in carping. Most pikers use heavy mainline to eliminate line breakage - personallly I have 50Ib braid on my pike rods ATM - the line isn't going to break - the snag just comes in with the fish!

Thanks Hippy. I also similarly use braid was just considering rules stating: "no fixed leads."

Might be possibly to use the Korda heli beads that drop the lead, but not sure how they'd stand up to casting heavier baits?

I think you may need to clarify with the club/syndicate regarding "fixed" leads. A paternoster rig can have a fixed lead.

A sliding paternoster could if snagged - shed the lead - as would a lighter strain lead link as it would break.

I use a running lead on FAS waters which is OK.
    Last edited by Olly1; 28-08-2016 at 19:56.