Thread: Circle hooks a cure?

Site Regular

Default Circle hooks a cure?

Would anyone recommend circle hooks as a remedy for deep hooked Eels? What are the debits and credits? Do the suit a certain set ups better? Any recommendations of brand and size.

Ta

Site Regular

Circle hooks are specifically designed to prevent deep hooking, so yes they are worth a try. You will have to resist the temptation to strike the take and wait for the hook to turn.

I predominantly use Sakuma 445's, but for eels the lighter weight Sakuma 440's are available in sizes from 12 to 3/0.

pm a guy on here called crassus - really does know his stuff about circle hooks and eeling .

Site Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, muchly appreciated.

Frequent User

Can sometimes be quite difficult to remove so suggest you crush the barb down. Used them chub fishing and as already mentioned whatever you do don't strike just tighten into the fish. Bulk are hooked in the scissors

Mike

Frequent User

I have experimented with circles for the last few years and used them exclusively last season, choosing size 2 Mustad Demon Fine, debarbed. Of the ten eels caught, one of 2.6 was deephooked but ejected hook and trace in the sack overnight, did not bleed, and I would assume survived. Certainly full of beans in the morning. The remaining nine, including several 4s, a 6.1 and an 8.02, were either hooked in the bottom lip or in the vicinity of the scissors. Bait was always 4 lobs, halved and fished on a very short hair tight to the hook shank. I missed a fair few runs, but that used to happen on conventional hooks. I left the runs for a very short period, usually around 15 seconds from inception (the time it takes me to get to the rods, as I am old), pointed rod at fish and then merely engaged bail arm and let the fish do the rest. Runs were not left any longer than with conventional hooks-I engaged bail arm as soon as I reached rod each time. There is no need to allow the eel to engulf the lot. As long as the hook is within the jaws on tightening up you should connect. Trace material 45lb Quicksilver using Dyson rig and 4 oz lead. As an aside, the missed runs are likely due to the eel picking the bait up tentatively between the extremity if its jaw and reversing away. Three dropped runs preceded the capture of the 8, most definitely from the same fish-clever devils, eels.

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by sally View Post
    Can sometimes be quite difficult to remove so suggest you crush the barb down. Used them chub fishing and as already mentioned whatever you do don't strike just tighten into the fish. Bulk are hooked in the scissors

Mike
    Thankyou Mike, I did wonder, as an after thought if these would be more difficult to remove. Even more so with Eels. Interesting that you used them for Chub, were there any advantages? Can only remember deep hooking one Chub myself.

Quote Originally Posted by crassus View Post
    I have experimented with circles for the last few years and used them exclusively last season, choosing size 2 Mustad Demon Fine, debarbed. Of the ten eels caught, one of 2.6 was deephooked but ejected hook and trace in the sack overnight, did not bleed, and I would assume survived. Certainly full of beans in the morning. The remaining nine, including several 4s, a 6.1 and an 8.02, were either hooked in the bottom lip or in the vicinity of the scissors. Bait was always 4 lobs, halved and fished on a very short hair tight to the hook shank. I missed a fair few runs, but that used to happen on conventional hooks. I left the runs for a very short period, usually around 15 seconds from inception (the time it takes me to get to the rods, as I am old), pointed rod at fish and then merely engaged bail arm and let the fish do the rest. Runs were not left any longer than with conventional hooks-I engaged bail arm as soon as I reached rod each time. There is no need to allow the eel to engulf the lot. As long as the hook is within the jaws on tightening up you should connect. Trace material 45lb Quicksilver using Dyson rig and 4 oz lead. As an aside, the missed runs are likely due to the eel picking the bait up tentatively between the extremity if its jaw and reversing away. Three dropped runs preceded the capture of the 8, most definitely from the same fish-clever devils, eels.
    Thankyou Crassus, 8lb is a hell of a capture, well done. Size two was alot bigger than I was expecting. Will try them on the next Eel trip, now that I have the the confidence to use them and see how I get on. The ease of deep hooking Eels bugs me and always puts me off angling for them Thanks again.

Frequent User

Hi Stugazi

Used them not for deep hooking but for the 'unhitable' bites which now of course you don't need to hit. You let them hook themselves.
    Out of interest there was talk in the USA to help preserve some marine stocks all anglers had to use circle hooks for ease of removal and avoid deep hooking. Not sure what happened . Will have to check out.
    Crassus. Wow that is some eel, 8 lb+ is a dream. Had loads [well not so many that I would not want more] of 4,5,6's but a 7+ have been conspicuous by there absence. Very well done

Mike

Frequent User

Crassus
    I seem to remember way back in the early 60's fishing from an island around Walton [we had rented a house with our girlfriends] fishing for eels [I'd taken a break from the Savay carp]. We caught 11 eels around 2-3lbs and had planned to swap them for floats from a local tackle shop. Each eel was hooked well down and we cut the line and sacked the eels with a view to unhook them in daylight. Next morning we found that each eel had somehow disgorged the hook which we found at the bottom of the sack. No idea how they did this. Interesting.

Mike

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by sally View Post
    Hi Stugazi

Used them not for deep hooking but for the 'unhitable' bites which now of course you don't need to hit. You let them hook themselves.

Mike
    Genius. Will be keeping that one up my sleeve. A lesson from the master 😊

Frequent User

Stugazi-the size two Mustad Demon Fine is much smaller than a conventional two.

Ditto. All captures bar one were either centre bottom lip (majority) or scissors. Only one was deep hooked. I crush the barb because it can be a nightmare getting a barbed circle hook out with an eel on the end. I used a hair rigged roach head or lobs straight on the hook, although it is /was designed for 'hair' rigging on the long liners, threaded through the nostrils of the bait fish.
    With the boots it was a simple matter of lifting out of water and giving a twist with the forceps-no landing net involved and zero handling, they just plop back into the water.
    On the run I would put the pick up in, let the line tighten and slowly raise the rod.
    Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.

John Maynard Keynes

Need to see some photos of the 8!
    The wonder of the world,*
    the beauty and the power,*
    the shape of things,*
    their colours,*lights and shades;*
    these I saw.*
    Look ye also while life lasts".