Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canon 600D or alternative advice

Elite (Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by shagnasty View Post
    Get a 600D its well worth the money. I have been using one for a few months and my pictures are much much better with one. Take the time to learn the basics and you'll be surprised how easy it is to work the camera properly using different settings, especially on aperture mode (AF) where altering the aperture (f number ) can dramatically alter the pics. The 600D in my opinion is a great camera for people such as myself who are novices at photography. Failing that use it on auto mode and you'll still get better pics but don't forget for truly amazing pics you'll need a separate fixed lens. I use a yongnuo 35mm one which was 70 off fleabay.
    What are your pics like using the yongnuo 35mm lens? Is it worth investing in one
    Catching carp is easy,its the time in between thats the hard part

Ive heard the lens is pretty good for the money

As said on a 1.6 crop frame dslr a 35mm will be the equivalent of around 55mm, 50mm will be around 80mm so bare this in mind when buying lenses.
    A really good canon lens for fishing is the 40mm pancake lens @ 2.8, pin sharp and an be picked up for less than 100, i dont know if nikon do a similar one.
    Once you get to know what your camera can do you'll have loads of fun with it.
    The A setting on the nikon or AF on canon is aperture priority which means you control the amount of light let in by use of the aperture(called depth of field DOF) and the camera controls the shutter speed and the ISO settings to make sure you get a picture, the smaller the f number the more light is let in and the blurrier the background is.
    For example if you have a 50mm 1.8 lens and take a photo set at f1.8 you will get a really sharp subject and a very blurry background(called bokeh), but at 1.8 if the fish is the subject(your focus point) then you will find the angler will be slightly out of focus so maybe f2.8 or f4 would get both in focus with a blurry background, to get more of the picture into focus set the aperture to f11 or more......have a play about
    I hope this helps or at least makes sense
    Beware the moon........the stairs and the trolley

Elite (Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_C View Post
    As said on a 1.6 crop frame dslr a 35mm will be the equivalent of around 55mm, 50mm will be around 80mm so bare this in mind when buying lenses.
    A really good canon lens for fishing is the 40mm pancake lens @ 2.8, pin sharp and an be picked up for less than 100, i dont know if nikon do a similar one.
    The A setting on the nikon or AF on canon is aperture priority which means you control the amount of light let in by use of the aperture(called depth of field DOF) and the camera controls the shutter speed and the ISO settings to make sure you get a picture, the smaller the f number the more light is light in and the blurrier the background is.
    For example if you have a 50mm 1.8 lens and take a photo set at f1.8 you will get a really sharp subject and a very blurry background(called bokeh), but at 1.8 if the fish is the subject(your focus point) then you will find the angler will be slightly out of focus so maybe f2.8 or f4 would get both in focus with a blurry background, to get more of the picture into focus set the aperture to f11 or more......have a play about
    Also been looking at the canon 40mm,it has great reviews so swaying towards this one and like to keep a canon lens on a canon body,not that it makes much difference I guess
    Catching carp is easy,its the time in between thats the hard part

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_C View Post
    The A setting on the nikon or AF on canon is aperture priority which means you control the amount of light let in by use of the aperture(called depth of field DOF) and the camera controls the shutter speed and the ISO settings to make sure you get a picture, the smaller the f number the more light is light in and the blurrier the background is.
    This is actually one of the clearest guides I have read to help a camera noob like myself get the type of image I want, cheers!