Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon 600D or alternative advice

Default Canon 600D or alternative advice

Guys,

I'm a bit of a point and click kind of camera guy. My camera is almost always on auto settings and I rarely bother using the external flash gun I have.

My mate is very similar but has a 600D and his pics are just amazing. So I'm looking to get either one of these or maybe something similar.

Can anyone offer some advice as I know his camera is now an older model or is it still the way to go without spending stupid money?
    Pink reel seats on your rods?!
    -------------
    "I like netting your fish...DROP OFF YOU SIMMO...."

i use a 600d ( generally on auto ) and im very happy with the photos , flip screen is a nice bonus for framing self takes , bet you can get them at a good price these days , well reccomended by me

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Elty View Post
    Guys,

I'm a bit of a point and click kind of camera guy. My camera is almost always on auto settings and I rarely bother using the external flash gun I have.

My mate is very similar but has a 600D and his pics are just amazing. So I'm looking to get either one of these or maybe something similar.

Can anyone offer some advice as I know his camera is now an older model or is it still the way to go without spending stupid money?
    Get a 600D its well worth the money. I have been using one for a few months and my pictures are much much better with one. Take the time to learn the basics and you'll be surprised how easy it is to work the camera properly using different settings, especially on aperture mode (AF) where altering the aperture (f number ) can dramatically alter the pics. The 600D in my opinion is a great camera for people such as myself who are novices at photography. Failing that use it on auto mode and you'll still get better pics but don't forget for truly amazing pics you'll need a separate fixed lens. I use a yongnuo 35mm one which was 70 off fleabay.

Get stuck in, Elty - it's easier than you think and you will get great satisfaction from taking great shots.

Well I've narrowed it down to a 600d or a Nikon d5200.

Doesn't seem to be much in it between them. I'm being seduced by the higher MP of the Nikon but I know quality comes down to lens and the canon has a better range and all are compatible with older bodies.

-------------

I have the 600d great bit of kit you want go wrong.

Used a d5100 with a fixed 1.8 35mm dx lense for a few years.. The lense is brilliant for the money.. Personally prefer Nikon as I know the layout better etc.. Also find the photos richer somehow, but there is very little I. It in reality. Not sure if cannon do an equivalent lense for the money or not. But you won't find a better set up for trophy shots at a reasonable price imo.. Do not use on auto though as it's basically a waste of money then.. It's very easy to learn the basics
    The wonder of the world,*
    the beauty and the power,*
    the shape of things,*
    their colours,*lights and shades;*
    these I saw.*
    Look ye also while life lasts".

the shape of things,*
    these I saw.*

the shape of things,*
    these I saw.*

the shape of things,*
    these I saw.*

Quote Originally Posted by nwjgoode View Post
    Not sure if cannon do an equivalent lense for the money or not.
    For Nikon the 35 mm is the one.
    For Canon go for the 50 mm.

CANON EF 50mm f/1.8 STM - You'll find it for less than 100 if you look around.

How come the 35mm for the Nikon? I thought the larger the lens; the more light; the better the pic?
    -------------

How come the 35mm for the Nikon? I thought the larger the lens; the more light; the better the pic?
    I wish I could give you an answer based on technical expertise but I cannot - I just have mates with both Nikon and Canon and the best results (for trophy shots) come from the 35 and 50 mm fixed lenses respectively.
    The Nikon gives you better colours IMO but the image clarity is mind-blowing using the Canon.

Canon isn't better than Nikon, nor vice versa. It's all about ergonomic preference. Try and get your hands on both models and see what you like best. Both cameras will take equally stunning pictures.

I went for the Nikon d5300.

Time to learn how to get the best out of it.
    -------------

The lower the f stop rating (1.8 etc) the wider the aperture which allows more light in. Nothing to do with the 35mm, 50mm etc, this refers to how much the lense is zoomed in as such..
    Also as both are cropped frame sensors rather than full frame the 35mm will be the better option in both cases as it works out to around 50mm on a cropped sensor, 50mm comes in around 80mm which is too zoomed in for trophy shots etc. You would end up needing to stand miles back which isn't practical in lost swims.
    the shape of things,*
    these I saw.*

Quote Originally Posted by nwjgoode View Post
    The lower the f stop rating (1.8 etc) the wider the aperture which allows more light in. Nothing to do with the 35mm, 50mm etc, this refers to how much the lense is zoomed in as such..
    Also as both are cropped frame sensors rather than full frame the 35mm will be the better option in both cases as it works out to around 50mm on a cropped sensor, 50mm comes in around 80mm which is too zoomed in for trophy shots etc. You would end up needing to stand miles back which isn't practical in lost swims.
    Aha... there's the technical explanation I couldn't give.....
    Yeah, my mate with the Canon does indeed have to stand like 6 miles away to get the shot - but.... the results are stunning.

I went for the Nikon d5300.

Time to learn how to get the best out of it.
    How did you find it mate? Looking at getting one. Easy to use? Got any pics please?

Yes very pleased with the choice. And getting to learn the functions now which I've found very simple. Having wifi has proved more useful than I thought it would too. Will be picking up a 35mm lens soon too

I've found that it's not just the camera settings but also the background and available light that make a huge difference to how the camera performs.
    -------------

Just jumping on the end of this thread, as Elty already has his answers now (and camera), with the various comments about 35mm and 50mm with you having to be so far back to frame the shot right, has anyone considered or got something wider but not fixed, like a 10-18 on a Canon crop camera
    The first rule of Baitboat Club is you don't talk about Baitboat Club!!!