Thread: Broadmoor staff angling club 2015

Beginner Member

Default Broadmoor staff angling club 2015

Looking at joining the broadmoor staff angling club next year, just wondering if anyone knows much about the club or fishes it them self.
    As a relatively new carp angler I don't want to get in a club with hard to fish lakes when I'm struggling to get anything and loose interest.
    I was weighing it up between this and Farnham angling as i have more options, but i would have to drive to go to any of the easier waters, lodge pond etc, and I i would have no chance catching at yately which is a shame as I'm a few miles away. I hear it is really busy as well.
    Broadmoor ticks all the boxes, secluded not many members, nice looking lakes and carp to 30lb, but just want to hear people's views or any other recommendations thy have!

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Site Regular

You'd have to be mad to join there.
    Simon say's

"I will first apologies to everyone that reads this, I have been a pretty inactive member on this forum for some time, I don't normally call anyone out, but now I feel the need to after having read so much drivel over the last year or so. Jeames you are a complete and utter tool, 90% of what you say is compete crap, the other 10% is drivel that only another tool could understand."

Beginner Member

Quote Originally Posted by James Hart View Post
    You'd have to be mad to join there.
    The fact it's next to broadmoor or for the fishing?

he was joking - re. the fact you have to be mad to be in Broadmoor

Beginner Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goose144 View Post
    he was joking - re. the fact you have to be mad to be in Broadmoor
    I'll be keeping an ear out for the alarm if I do fish it put that way😆 no one seems to have any info on it, it's limited to 100 members from what I've heard, i like the exclusivity, but want to know what it's like to fish!

Not seen it myself, but used to work at the local school and spoke to some parents who fished there. smallish lake with a few lillies and a fairly obliging head of pretty doubles to about low twenties is all I can recall - hope it helps!

Hippy has summed it up really.

It's a small lake, ( plus a small pond ) perhaps 4 acres with 25 odd swims, many with lily pads. As a result, when it's busy, it's far from ideal and with lots of lines in the water the fish are cute. A warm summers day and the fish are all on the surface and only get their heads down after dark, once they've figured out which swims have been vacated...lol !!

I have it as an Autumn / winter ticket as it should fish well ( I hope ) when it cools down as it's quite sheltered. Best fished midweek to avoid busy times. There are a lot of commons and a smattering of pretty mirrors in there but generally everything is under 30lb with lots of fish 6 to 17lb odd. Small tench, crucians and bream are also present. The lake has a crayfish problem, they can drive you mad ! Security is good, as you'd expect, but you do have to park over the road and have a short walk to the lake. Inmates move into the new prison ( sorry, hospital ) in 2017 which is currently under construction. The club is hoping to get a car park built adjacent to the lake.
    I fished it quite a bit last winter but caught nowt. I'll try again this year but may drop it next year if I struggle again this winter.

Other than that, it's a pretty, rhododendron shrouded lake but it does have a slightly eerie feel, probably as its in the shadow of the foreboding Victorian institution. Then there's the rumours that the lake used to receive the bodies of dead inmates from the Victorian era.........

Beginner Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dimbers View Post

It's a small lake, ( plus a small pond ) perhaps 4 acres with 25 odd swims, many with lily pads. As a result, when it's busy, it's far from ideal and with lots of lines in the water the fish are cute. A warm summers day and the fish are all on the surface and only get their heads down after dark, once they've figured out which swims have been vacated...lol !!

I have it as an Autumn / winter ticket as it should fish well ( I hope ) when it cools down as it's quite sheltered. Best fished midweek to avoid busy times. There are a lot of commons and a smattering of pretty mirrors in there but generally everything is under 30lb with lots of fish 6 to 17lb odd. Small tench, crucians and bream are also present. The lake has a crayfish problem, they can drive you mad ! Security is good, as you'd expect, but you do have to park over the road and have a short walk to the lake. Inmates move into the new prison ( sorry, hospital ) in 2017 which is currently under construction. The club is hoping to get a car park built adjacent to the lake.
    I fished it quite a bit last winter but caught nowt. I'll try again this year but may drop it next year if I struggle again this winter.

Other than that, it's a pretty, rhododendron shrouded lake but it does have a slightly eerie feel, probably as its in the shadow of the foreboding Victorian institution. Then there's the rumours that the lake used to receive the bodies of dead inmates from the Victorian era.........

I appreciate the detailed response dimbers! So would you recommend it as a yearly ticket, I do shift work so I will often be going in the week so should have any problems with it being busy. Or is there any membership lakes you fish that you would recommend over this?
    As for the bodies, that doesn't scare me, not sure I could do a night there though lol

Beginner Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dimbers View Post

Thanks for all the replies especially dimbers for the detailed description. As I do shift work I get a lot of time in the week to fish so shouldn't have a problem with it being too busy. So dimbers would you recommend it or would you recommend any other local fishing membership lakes? As for the bodies, that doesn't bother me, maybe wouldn't night fish it though lol

set the controls for the heart of the sun

Also a Certain P.Sutcliffe Fishes There
    "LADDERS OBSCURED BY CARP"

Site Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LADDERS View Post
    Also a Certain P.Sutcliffe Fishes There
    Ripped the place apart!

Frequent User

Don't they have a lot of weekend matches though which closes one of the lakes?

And don't you have to fish nuts :0)

I used to be a member there 2 years ago, and were doing some major building work all around the prison and on the roads etc assuming they still are as the amount of work there was on a massive scale. there are 2 lakes, one with skimmers and the "bigger" lake. Not especially hard, main thing is find them. They did love a mixer and zig, would do more bits this way than fishing off the bottom. biggest I had was a mid 20, never seen or heard of anyone having a 30. They have matches on the lake as well if that's your kind of thing. No features really, It used to remind me of an old swimming pool that filled and made into a fishing lake lol Only got the ticket to fish with my old man but had some fun days there with him. They have old riot masks hanging on scarecrows which also is a bit eerie when packed up and walking back in the dark. lol
    Get you some of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Sambarratt22 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies especially dimbers for the detailed description. As I do shift work I get a lot of time in the week to fish so shouldn't have a problem with it being too busy. So dimbers would you recommend it or would you recommend any other local fishing membership lakes? As for the bodies, that doesn't bother me, maybe wouldn't night fish it though lol

If you can fish it midweek then take it. There were some decent anglers there who had the ticket as a back up if they struggled to get on some of the Yateley / Farnham waters if they were too busy.