Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandhurst

Default Sandhurst

Mainly interested in the situation with the weed, it was pretty bad when i fished it back in the autumn and reading previous posts it was a common theme...anyone know if it's been treated?
    Beware the moon........the stairs and the trolley

Think it's still quite weedy mate

Frequent User

Go on the website and ask the bailiff any questions his mobile numbers on there

Site Regular

For all i have been told is, the weed cutter is going in on the 20th April, then the blue dye is going in and this should take care of the weed. My opinion is, this will make it a better lake. Way to many fish being lost in the weed especially to zigs. Any one going down there after this date please could you let me know on here if the weed has been treated. I know some think the weed is great for the water but, this is a day ticket water not a syndicate. So the level of experience varies. Some can deal with the weed and some can't. I would rather the weed not be there. It is better for the carp and the angler's. Anyway hope it happens and then i am sure a lot more people will start going down there once the weed is dealt with. Good Luck to anyone who is going on.

Can anyone comment on first hand knowledge how widespread the weed actually is at the moment ?
    Never argue with an Idiot.............They will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Site Regular

Has anyone been to fish Sandhurst since the weed has been treated. What's it like?. Any updates please Cheers Paul

Frequent User

Hi guys, we were booked on the day they finished cutting and dying the lake. Now there was still a fair amount of weed floating around and the fishing was very poor!

But I'm sure now it's settled, it's probably fishing like it normally does.hoping to get on there in a weeks time.

And I agree getting rid of the weed has to be for the better seeing as it's a day ticket water.

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock_h View Post
    I would rather the weed not be there. It is better for the carp and the angler's.
    It's better for the carp....Why?

Ian
    Founding Member of the Windsor Barbel Catchers

In the shadowplay, acting out your own death, knowing no more,
    As the assassins all grouped in four lines, dancing on the floor....

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by lawman View Post
    It's better for the carp....Why?

Ian
    First, this is only my opinion. The weed in Sandhurst was causing a lot of problems, getting the carp in. I actually removed the lead core leader from Nigels fish, it was all clogged up at the back with weed. And the hooklength could not come off. Loads of carp were being lost in the weed on zigs. The owners probably thought this also so, the weed was cut and treated. It will also stop anglers casting over the weed beds to fish that are crashing and losing loads of line trying to get the fish in through a massive weed bed. Then the swans all get caught up in the line and swan rescue have to come down and take them away. That is not good in my eye's. It makes us look bad. Also i think more bait will go in now the weed is not thete so, the carp will benefit a great deal more. I didn't see any natural food in the ton of weed i pulled in so carp were not gaining from it. The other thing in, most anglers turn up to fish Sandhurst for the first time and they don't know its weedy so they don't have the line or rods to deal with the weed. Now that won't be the case so good managment by the owner. If syndicate my outlook might of been different but, a day ticket water this weedy at 30 a day is not on. Only my opinion mate and nothing more. If i want to fish a weedy day ticket water i will go to Thorney Weir which is a great deal cheaper then going to Sandhurst. Anyone agrees or disagrees with having the weed cut and treated in Sandhurst then have your say. This is what its for. All the best Paul

Hi mate,
    I think what you're saying is, it's actually better for the anglers
    I'll be amazed if there is no natural food that resides in the weed that the fish will feed on.
    All of the Yateley pits over the years have had stacks of weed in and the anglers have to accommodate for that in their fishing, granted you may will have a different 'level' of angler on some of the pits to others.

Ian
    Founding Member of the Windsor Barbel Catchers

In the shadowplay, acting out your own death, knowing no more,
    As the assassins all grouped in four lines, dancing on the floor....

Site Regular

Yeah mate, of course its better for the anglers. Then again you aint got carp getting bogged down in the weed. Inexperienced angler trying to drag a carp through 30 yards of weed, ripping its mouth up. This aint going to happen now that the weed is gone. I fished 4 different swims the last time i was down there, and out of all the weed i pulled in i never saw any natural, whatsoever. And i had a good look. Simply because their is a lot of weed does not mean their is a lot of natural in there. The blue dye going in will probably have the effect of making the fish darker. At the end of the day it seems on Sandhurst facebook page they are more then happy that the weed has been treated. Obviously the owner Nick knew their was a problem. I stand by what i say, i dont want to catch a pb and its mouth is all fkd as it has been dragged through a load of weed or feathered up. I think its a case of. As they say you cant please all of the people all the time. Everyone has their opinion on it. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by lawman View Post
    Hi mate,
    I think what you're saying is, it's actually better for the anglers
    I'll be amazed if there is no natural food that resides in the weed that the fish will feed on.
    All of the Yateley pits over the years have had stacks of weed in and the anglers have to accommodate for that in their fishing, granted you may will have a different 'level' of angler on some of the pits to others.

Ian

Frequent User

I agree and disagree with Sherlock. At the end of the day Sandy is a premier day ticket venue and you have varying levels of anglers visiting. All the problems that were listed on here was created by weed. For the safety of the fish and wildlife The decision was made and not to forget Nick as the owner has to make a living.
    No for the disagreeing side and only because I actually love fishing in weed, if this was a syndicate then Nick would be able to pick the calibre of angler and so look after his stocks. Only my opinion.

Guys you only have to look at linears oxlease! It gets treated and the fish thrive on it.

Well done Nick and the lads on making the decision and clearing it for all abilities to fish

Elite (Bronze)

When Sandy was treated for weed about 7 years ago the fish packed on the weight and less fish were lost.
    daz aka Dwain

Frequent User

Daz, hopefully good news then. I can really only see positives.
    And this is coming from someone who was actually the first group on after the work party and in truth got fxxked over!
    But no reflection on management only on our organisation

Site Regular

They are coming out. Nige's just been out 40lb 8oz, plus a 35lb common. I think when they done the weed and put the dye in it would of been wise to shut the lake for a week to let the fish settle. Should be kicking off now and if they start spawning then the 2 island swims and 28 29 30 31 where they normally spawn in the channel then these swims will get closed. Goos luck mate with your session coming up. Tight lines
    Quote Originally Posted by levi View Post
    Daz, hopefully good news then. I can really only see positives.
    And this is coming from someone who was actually the first group on after the work party and in truth got fxxked over!
    But no reflection on management only on our organisation

Site Regular

Have they not started spawning on here yet?. Can't be far off now.

Any update on how its fishing?
    Once a Fusilier always a Fusilier

Occasional User

Mate of mine done a 24 from Saturday morning. Had nothing and didn't hear of anyone else catching.

I have just done 24hrs on there. I had a Common just under 23lb in absolute mint condition this morning out of the baliffs swim. The fish were showing all over the lake yesterday and I know a guy in the secrets had a couple and there were a couple taken on the road side bank this morning too. So plenty coming out.
    The water still has a strong blue tinge to it from the dye and there is still an awful lot of weed about. Plus some of the stuff thats been cut is drifting around in clumps. That said I didn't worry too much about the weed last year (though not trying to start that debate again. I understand both sides).
    I fish the Bluepool in burghfield every year at least a couple of times and they put dye in there a couple of years ago. It takes quite a while to have an effect and in the case of BP the lake bed was covered with black rotting weed for ages. Plus the water clarity (normally gin clear) really suffered. Which made the stalking pretty tricky.
    But It doesn't seem to effect the fish of their desire to feed so I think it will help in the long run for Sandhurst anglers who don't want so much weed.

Cheers for the updates
    Once a Fusilier always a Fusilier