Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Rant of the day

The latte levvy.....

Another 25p on your cup of coffee....how about taking that 25p off out of the 4 charged in the first place ??

Jokers
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt

Negative people.

Why do they always HAVE to be the loudest. Trying to ram their sad views down everyone and anyone's throat And shouting down anyone who dares to differ.
    Pink reel seats on your rods?!
    -------------
    "I like netting your fish...DROP OFF YOU SIMMO...."

my rant this week, bored sitting at home and just watched a video where a sponsored angler goes to a northern fishery and sets up! he then runs through his rigs and set up and states he is using running rigs with a drop off lead system and shows product.

He thens holds up a 5oz gripper lead, the size of a house brick, and shows how a running rig works and how it will discharge the lead on pick up or in snag/weed! he then goes on over the session to land 7 large carp and i believe discharges the lead every time!

So if he discharged the lead every time that is 2 ****ing pound of lead left on the lake bed after 1 session. times that by how many others following this video!

lead pipework was phased out in domestic households for its detrimental effect so what is it doing to the lakes

Rant over and take a deep breath

Elite (Bronze)

So called disabled blue badge holders who park up then run across the road to the shops
    Pri!!s
    Catching carp is easy,its the time in between thats the hard part

Quote Originally Posted by f15hie View Post

lead pipework was phased out in domestic households for its detrimental effect so what is it doing to the lakes

Rant over and take a deep breath
    It does nothing. Lead does not dissolve in water, otherwise they wouldn't make lead flashing for roofs out of it.

It is the corrosion and oxidisation scales that dissolve, and they only dissolve at pH of 5 or less, in which case most fish we angle for would be dead anyway.

**sam**

Smartarses.....

rex hunt

Quote Originally Posted by sam View Post
    It does nothing. Lead does not dissolve in water, otherwise they wouldn't make lead flashing for roofs out of it.

It is the corrosion and oxidisation scales that dissolve, and they only dissolve at pH of 5 or less, in which case most fish we angle for would be dead anyway.

**sam**
    So what pH is our drinking water?! Your post suggests our water must be pH 5 or less, otherwise why remove it from households.
    Pink reel seats on your rods?!
    -------------
    "I like netting your fish...DROP OFF YOU SIMMO...."

People who press the button at a crossing the don't wait for the green man, so when you stop for the red light they've already crossed, I've shouted a few choice words.
    I'd hit that !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reaper View Post
    People who press the button at a crossing the don't wait for the green man, so when you stop for the red light they've already crossed, I've shouted a few choice words.
    This......at 5am while I'm going to work and not another car you can see for miles....

Why......just why ?

rex hunt

Because i can

In relation to the lead content why has lead basically been phased out of everything petrol, paint and probably more, because of damage it can do to humans but its ok for carp and animals that frequent either our still water lakes with no wash through or slow running/tickover ponds and lakes......
    am i missing something here!

Because i can

In relation to the lead content why has lead basically been phased out of everything petrol, paint and probably more, because of damage it can do to humans but its ok for carp and animals that frequent either our still water lakes with no wash through or slow running/tickover ponds and lakes......
    Indeed you are! But you are not alone... As Troy McCLure once said: Lead paint, delicious but deadly!

Lead in petrol, paint and more is not a solid lump. It is already dissolved/suspended in the medium. Solid lead does not dissolve in water. Otherwise your roof flashing would have washed away. Go outside and check it!

Most lakes usually have a pH greater than 6.5, although it does vary through the day, and rivers are even higher. Decades of closed loop pipe tests revealed these lead corrosion scales dissolve at low pH. Lower than our lakes and rivers.

Without giving too much away I have an article in the next BCSG magazine where I detail a year of research investigation and white paper findings around this subject.

Here are a couple of links to the sort of stuff I read up on:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21458838
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...43135414001146
    http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1608/FRJ-3.2.156

Lots of people have studied this stuff for years. What I have done is simply research their findings and present the information in a way anglers will hopefully understand and find relevant. An ounce of solid lead dropped into a lake does not equate to an ounce of lead dissolved in water.

My experimental 2oz (bare) lead in a jar of lake water has not changed it's total dissolved solids (TDS) reading in a year. Has anybody else studied this subject? I would be keen to compare notes.

**sam**

Elite (Silver)

Because i can

Lead is inert in still fresh water in temperatures below 20c at 1 bar (about 10 metres).
    However there are not many fishing venues with lakes that have anything like that kind of depth, most lakes tend to be between one and two meters deep with possibly depths up to about six meters in some big lakes/gravel pits.
    Leads laying in warm shallower water will not be inert so it certainly can be a cause of concern if a constant stream of leads are dropped off into a lake.

In the UK lead can be used for split shot for sizes 8 and under and for ledger weights that weigh over an ounce.
    I believe the reasoning for that is that should a fish ingested very small lead shot it would do them no harm (probably pass through them) and a fish is unlikely to pick up and eat a lead weight of an ounce or over.

On quite a few fisheries lead weights and even lead-core is banned however most ledger weights for fresh water fishing seem to be coated or made of something other than lead these days anyway in my experience.

Which brings me to my rant; whatever their ledger weight are made of I get really peed off at idiot anglers on the opposite bank to where I am fishing who casts a ledger over to the swim in front of me, I've had this happened even when the opposite bank has been about 180 yards away and I've been fishing 10 yards out.
    I came, I saw, I played conkers.

Site Regular

I thought that the lead ban was swan related

Frequent User

It was Swan related.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad

Elite (Silver)

Quote Originally Posted by andyd View Post
    I thought that the lead ban was swan related
    You are right, originally the ban was all to do with swans. In the eighties some swans and other water fowl were found with lead intoxication and lead was banned in 1987 for use in split shot sizes larger than number 8 and ledger weights up to an ounce.
    It was found water foul were picking up coarse fishing lead shot as well as shot from gun cartridges whilst feeding - it's interesting to note lead shot is still used in shotgun cartridges.

I seem to remember angling was banned at the time on one or two council run fishing lakes because of the danger caused by lead weights.

Of course it was soon realised that if lead can poison water fowl in can also poison fish hence the ban on all lead on a lot of commercials and club lakes.
    I came, I saw, I played conkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Fisher View Post
    You are right, originally the ban was all to do with swans. In the eighties some swans and other water fowl were found with lead intoxication and lead was banned in 1987 for use in split shot sizes larger than number 8 and ledger weights up to an ounce.
    It was found water foul were picking up coarse fishing lead shot as well as shot from gun cartridges whilst feeding - it's interesting to note lead shot is still used in shotgun cartridges.

I seem to remember angling was banned at the time on one or two council run fishing lakes because of the danger caused by lead weights.

Of course it was soon realised that if lead can poison water fowl in can also poison fish hence the ban on all lead on a lot of commercials and club lakes.
    It can't, the issue with swans is that they ingest gravel to help with their digestion, which will include loose shot.

Given than the average shotgun cartridge will spread more lead than many anglers would lose in a season (especially as any lost by anglers would usually be attached to line/snags), I can't help feel that we were somewhat scapegoated bt#y the shooting fraternity...

wait till they find the lovable rogues that have just been reintroduced into the waterways are affected then its death to angling as it gets banned to save the otter!

And another thing.
    What is it with beards at the moment,used to be just vegetarians and history teachers now everyone's dressing like Victorian gentlemen.
    Easy Life

Quote Originally Posted by kenniff View Post
    And another thing.
    What is it with beards at the moment,used to be just vegetarians and history teachers now everyone's dressing like Victorian gentlemen.
    Also......this applies to fishing photos online.....you know the ones....black and white photos with vass waders...pubic face with the ****pot hats.

Then the inevitable comments of

Banger
    Warrior
    Beast
    Well angled mate.you deserve that.

Well.....all those apply to most photos you see on the web these days.....even a newly stocked simmo gets the same treatment.
    Makes me wonder where fishing went wrong sometimes.

rex hunt

Quote Originally Posted by jeames View Post
    Also......this applies to fishing photos online.....you know the ones....black and white photos with vass waders...pubic face with the ****pot hats.

Then the inevitable comments of

Banger
    Warrior
    Beast
    Well angled mate.you deserve that.

Well.....all those apply to most photos you see on the web these days.....even a newly stocked simmo gets the same treatment.
    Makes me wonder where fishing went wrong sometimes.
    Also the wistful/moody face like they have followed through when lifting into the take! its a great fish at least a little smirk/smile even if its just wind