Sorry about the pun in the title but it is true. Six months on and I never in a million years though that I would be this interested in something I never gave a thought to in the past. Fishing never interested me as a kid, but now in my late fifties I can't get enough! You can read the introduction I wrote on this forum six months ago HERE. A lot has changed since then. It was my brother who fished as a kid and I thought he was going to lead the way. As it turned out it is me who is the passionate one, seeking out knowledge and information and soaking it up like a sponge.

The trouble is I don't get as much time to fish as I would like but I am getting more time now the winter is over. I have been concentrating on waggler fishing when I have got to the bank and I can now cast and get the thing almost where I want it. I bit more practise in required yet but I am getting there.

I have been making my own groundbait and boilies on the weekends that I could not get out and have been having some fun trying out different recipes. I have not used the groundbait enough to evaluate its worth but that will come in time. The boilies too have not seen any action yet, but as I am told, the weather warms the water and the fish will start feeding, I will have a go soon.

The other thing I fancy having a go at is dropshotting. Living here in S.E. London, there is not much in the way of places I can fish (and park) on my doorstep. However the Regent's canal is an easy train/tube ride away and I have a permit that allows me to fish it for free so I will be giving that a go over the next few weeks. You can catch up on what we have been doing on my blog, if you are interested. Six months on and it documents my journey into the world of angling...

I mentioned bait making earlier and I wonder if anyone can help me with my next endeavour. Do particular fish like particular flavours? I.e. do carp like sweet things and roach like savoury? (or vice-versa) Or is it venue dependent?

Or does it change with the season, even?

There seems to be dozens of flavours to chose from. How do you (I) know which one to pick or is it just trial and error? Talking to anglers on the bank about groundbait base doesn't work, one will say one thing and then another will say the opposite. This makes me think it is more about having faith in your own choice...

I am now confused - does it really matter? Whatever base mix I use, I add some of the loose feed/hook bait to the mix and that seems to work - I think...

Any thoughts or advice will be welcome. So far I have been using my sweet groundbait mix as I showed HERE.

I am thinking of making a savoy version using Rich Tea biscuits and fine breadcrumb but I am not sure what to flavour it with. How about adding meat? Minced, tinned, hotdog sausages (I can buy them cheap!) and the juice from the tin with, say Turmeric?

I don't know, any suggestions...

Ralph.