Thread: Bit of advice for a beginner on brands in carp fishing

Beginner Member

Default Bit of advice for a beginner on brands in carp fishing

Hi there,

I am just getting into carp fishing and haven't got a clue where to start (apologies if there are a ton of similar posts on this- point me in there direction if there are!) and looking for some advice on which brands to use.

I am looking to build up a decent carp fishing set and have come across a number of brand names when trawling the online websites, such as Daiwa, Shimano, Fox, Greys, Wychwood, ESP, Nash etc. I trying to get a feel for where each of these stack up against one another. I come from a cycling background and its quite easy to distinguish between different brands, normally along price and technical quality and I am trying to understand if the same is broadly true in carp fishing....!!! Would be really useful/appreciated if anyone could share some thoughts/tips

Cheers

Buy what feels right to you and dont read too much into brands etc. We would go on forever if we reviewed each product.

My only advise would be go from well known brands and not maked lke badger etc. Also get advise from the tackle shops etc, normally very helpfull.
    Get you some of that!

its not all about the latest gear etc etc mate....

dont go spending an absolute fortune on stuff you might not use.

get the essentials first, like rods,alarms,reels,nets..and the matts,scales etc etc....start on a smaller scale and build it up.
    learn how to use what you get,and then progress,then you will eventually know what you will need and use.
    fishings a lifelong hobby for most,dont go and burn all your money in one go as you could burn yourself out very quickly.

set a target for YOUR own needs,by that i mean start with a realistic sized fish to go at beforehand,look at the waters close to you,learn some sort of watercraft skills.....speak to other anglers,most believe it or not are willing to chat if you speak politely.
    its a good hobby to be doing,can be very rewarding,and can be a disaster when it goes wrong.....

enjoy the good times,learn from the bad....
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt

Beginner Member

Interesting guys and appreciate the thoughts... out of interest would you see a difference between say a Daiwa, Shimano and Fox or is it all much of a muchness... All seem to have similar price products, I am just getting a different feel with each.

Beginner Member

Thanks both - very interesting indeed. Just to get your thoughts, looking at the websites, names like Daiwa, Fox and Shimano look like big players. Is there a core difference between these guys or is it all much of a muchness... do people tend to like the feel of a certain name and then stick with it?

Generally in carp fishing - buy cheap, buy twice.

consider the second hand market if you can't afford to buy new. don't get caught up in the tackle tart trends either as it will end up costing you a fortune - buy kit that does the job - who cares what it looks like on the bank? the people who judge others on the tackle they are using aren't the sort of people that matter anyway.

If you've never angled before just get yourself a float rod and reel set up, and learn the basics before getting all the gear, and having no idea.

Elite (Bronze) Lea Valley Carper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by farfromthesun View Post
    If you've never angled before just get yourself a float rod and reel set up, and learn the basics before getting all the gear, and having no idea.
    As above ^^, most of us are "lifers" who have been fascinated by water from a young age.

How come you've suddenly decided to take it up? I'm curious.

Developing "watercraft" and hunting skills are everything. Which comes from spending time around water and nature.

Cycling to fishing doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

You cannot buy success in fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lea Valley Carper View Post
    As above ^^, most of us are "lifers" who have been fascinated by water from a young age.

How come you've suddenly decided to take it up? I'm curious.

Developing "watercraft" and hunting skills are everything. Which comes from spending time around water and nature.

Cycling to fishing doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

You cannot buy success in fishing.
    Seems a bit confrontational, lol ?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBarratt View Post
    I thought the same. I'm sure the fella feels welcomed to the world of carp fishing

Back to the OP then all the manufacturers you have named make 'good' products, you probably won't go far wrong with any of them but as suggested I'd look at the second hand market where you won't need to break the bank and you can avoid the buy cheap buy twice scenario that Jamie mentioned. As Mullet says there are a few to avoid also.

If you've got friends who are already in to their (carp or otherwise) fishing then pick their brains or look at joining a local club. As FFTS said you'll probably enjoy yourself and learn more in the short-term with a float rod and pint of maggots. You'll soon know whether fishing is for you or not and if it's not then for only a small outlay on minimal tackle and a club ticket you won't have lost much. There will be plenty of folks at the club who'll no doubt help you out with tackle suggestions if you decide to go down the 'carp' route in due course.

Good luck, and most of all, enjoy your journey.
    Numbers

Elite (Bronze) Lea Valley Carper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBarratt View Post
    Honestly, I didn't mean it like that. Just curious at his post really.

Seemed a bit like me suddenly deciding to take up playing the guitar (despite no previous interest in playing music) and asking what's a good one?

I never meant any offence.

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by tomboe_clapham View Post
    Hi there,

I am looking to build up a decent carp fishing set and have come across a number of brand names when trawling the online websites, such as Daiwa, Shimano, Fox, Greys, Wychwood, ESP, Nash etc. I trying to get a feel for where each of these stack up against one another. I come from a cycling background and its quite easy to distinguish between different brands, normally along price and technical quality and I am trying to understand if the same is broadly true in carp fishing

Cheers
    It is broadly the same, the brands you mention are like Kona, Scott, GT, Trek ie they are quality but have a full range of good low spec usable items to the exotic top of the range stuff. The price range isn't quite so broad as bikes and tackle is not so high maintenance so lots of serious carpers have the top end gear.

Don't start in winter thats my advice, you'll hate it before you even start. Plus winter fishing especially at night requires more kit.

I can fully understand why Carp fishing appeals to people new to the sport, Bigger fish, bit of camping, social with mates etc. So if thats what your looking for out of fishing then crack straight on and carp fish. The advice about fishing for smaller fish first is sound as big fish can be a nightmare to handle if your not used to it and you'll soon become unpopular on waters you fish if your dropping 30's all over the place.

From someone who has fished since very young and only carp fishes for a percentage of my time on the bank i will say there is so so much more to fishing than Carp and if you only fish for them then you are missing out on a lot of enjoyment.

As far as brands go if you consider Shimano, Drennan Daiwa as say Haro, Kona, Mongoose then in much the same way you know you can expect a certain quality of gear throughout the range from Budget to top end.

its a double edged sword.

it all depends on your own personality.

when your new to a hobby, do you stick at it?, are you the type of guy who like to use the better quality stuff?

see, as your starting out, your best buying the cheaper stuff to see if you like it and if your gonna see it through to the bitter end.

but then if you do find you really like it, and are a guy who like the better stuff your gonna have to buy pretty much everythin again.

have fun!!

Getting in to it how?

Friends that fish? Previous angler?

And as with anything, we can't help suggest too much without knowing your budget.
    Cornish Ben, King of the Pasties

Frequent User

I've just got back into fishing this year after a long absence. But I started fishing 15 years ago with a float rod for roach, and then crucians, and then tench/bream on the feeder, then a bit of perch fishing, then carp. I think you will be much better off by starting off float fishing. It will be more enjoyable initially and you're unlikely to get disheartened. Learn as much as you can before you start carp fishing mate.

Beginner Member

Cheers all, really useful insight - and no offence taken Lea Valley Carper. It's all a learning experience - interest came off the back of a bit of fishing on a recent holiday and enjoyed it. As I said, have done a lot of cycling and was just trying to draw some parallels - which probably means being somewhat guilty of buying the gear and having no idea - guilty! What interests me is this point on second hand market which I hadn't really considered so appreciate the advice.