Thread: Full carp set up on ebay should I buy?

Beginner Member

Default Full carp set up on ebay should I buy?

I've recently started carp fishing with one of my friend, I have been using his gear up till now but really want to get my own. I know fishing gear can get very expensive and I don't really have that much to spend around 200. I know I could buy these bit's from my local fishing shop but the total for everything I need to fish straight away was coming way over my budget when I went in last week, and the guy in shop said I should buy my rods, reels, alarms and basic tackle and build the rest of my set up afterwards but I don't think this is sensible as I'm going to need landing nets, mats and lots of other stuff. I've seen on ebay you can buy full kits with everything included for around 150 giving me an extra 50 for bait and other bits, I know the quality of this stuff is not going to be amazing but I intend to slowly upgrade as I get more onto the sport. What I want to know is do people think it is a good idea for me to buy the full set and slowly upgrade or do as the guy in the fishing store said and slowly build it? Ideally with the money I would buy it all from the tackle shop but this unfortunately isn't possible. Any advice would be great
    Thanks.

Site Regular

Haven't seen the specific sets but I would suggest that they would do the job OK for a couple of years, or have a look at 2nd hand options on Tackle Trader etc.

My first setup was from Dragon Carp and that coped with fish up to 20lb or so for a few years until it was fully replace by more upmarket gear.

The other advantage is that if you decide its not for you after a season or so you aren't too too much out pocket.

Dont do it mate!
    Second hand gear off here all day long mate and what you cant afford you continue to borrow.
    Old fox nash or shimano beats new keenets gear hands down.

I'm the opposite. I say go for it. You've already said you know it won't be the best kit you can get but it will get you out catching fish and as you rightly say you can upgrade as you go. Get it and get that photo album growing
    Edited for the sensitive prissy meow meows we entertain

Occasional User

just buy indidvidual items that you need..

when buying full kits you end up with lots of stuff that you never would have bought

Site Regular

Id pick and choose second hand stuff off hear or the auction sites. There's always someone who can offer an opinion on anything these days. a quick look on fleabay finds a shimano carp rod, not been used for 17 with 3 hours to go. buy this, buy something different, don't worry about matching. second hand net and mat, a bivvy or brolly with holes, so you look more cultured. Good luck.

PS - Avoid anything by Badger.

Elite (Bronze)

Fishtec, buy one get one free, buy two get one free deals all over the place on there gear.

Budget bite alarms, nets, mats, the lot.

It'll all be new, it'll all be yours, and when you spend so much you get free gifts.

Just an idea

Elite (Bronze)

lol curiosity got the better of me, just flicked through the Autumn catalogue.

Nash Hi Gun FR5 reels @ 29.99
    3 Hardware buzzers @ 9.99
    TFG Banshee rod, 59.99 buy one get one free
    TFG mat @ 14.99

Plus a few bits of end tackle to put you just over 150 and get your free gifts of a rig station or large lox box worth 39.99.

Cheap net off ebay and bed, and your pretty much sorted until you start doing nights, then its back to ebay for a cheap bivvy

Site Regular

Where abouts are you joe?
    aint easy being cheesy

Site Regular

I'd go the second hand route mate - when you come to upgrade you'll be able to get some money back from your original purchase to find new stuff. I got cheap stuff at the start and couldn't sell it on. Buying second hand fox/nash etc will mean you are more likely to be able to sell it when the time comes.

Beginner Member

Default Been there done that!

Hi Joe,I did exactly that mate,I sold all my quality gear when my children were young and started again once they were older.I went the Dragon carp route and I must say,it was fine...the stuff is usable and obviously brand new but you can upgrade gradually as soon as money allows,my advice would be upgrade the reels first,then the bite alarms,the other stuff is all very basic but does a job...
    The second hand route is great if youre careful but I find second hand gear pricey plus if your brand new to the sport,you may not be confident in what to go for.

My dragon stuff did a job for me for over two years and I sold most of it on afterwards and recovered a little bit of dosh back.

Hope that helps Joe,good luck.

Quality second hand gear will cost you far more than your budget. Priced my 3 rod set up (everything I own) at half the RRP and it came to 750. No dragon carp crap neither.

You don't need to spend thousands, I have never spent more than 100 on a single item.

With a reasonable small budget I'd be looking along the lines of something like this
    2 tfg banshee rods,(ex demos on eBay just now at 25 each inc post!!
    2 wychwood signature baitrunners again eBay for 47 a pair!!
    Get either a pair of 2nd hand fox micron m"s or a pair of cheap Ron Thompson ones both around 25 a pair,
    Cheap net of eBay 15 quid
    Again unhooking mat for around 15 on eBay again
    So all that comes in around 150 notes and is all perfectly usable gear that should see you good until you save for a better upgrade or decide it's not for you, and still leaves you around 50 quid for your terminal and a bit of bait,hope that helps a little,and good luck fella
    yid army

Site Regular

Go for it mate, better to have stuff that you don't need than to not have stuff that you do need.

Micron M's are seriously under-rated. On my third set now after flirting with reciever systems.

. List what it is you need. How I see it. Rod. 3lb TC whatever 70 Reel Diawa Emblem Gold 70 Diawa Sensor Line 15lb bs 7 Alarm wychwood/ Nash 20 Terminal tackle (hook, lead and lead stop a bit of tubing to help aid with anti tangle and away you go.

I regard line as the all important, the thing holds it together and dictates distance to a large degree. Then the question presents itself what's in front of you? Gravel bars, snags, various silt deposits. The type of reel I like to use tend to be able two hold varies from 12lb to 20lb (although a noticeable difference) between the 15lb and 20lb Indicators 10 eBay Bank sticks buzz bars 20 Landing net 42" 20 Unhooking Matt FOC (make one) foam, dustbin bag, time. Phone with camera. Picnics - what ever you cam supply back 210

It blows your budget of 200 by say 50 but I'd be happy sitting behind this set up.

Work in progress, please excuse me I'm trying to multitask. /:

Have a look on the FB groups, loads of perfectly good gear on their to get you started
    Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away

HW100T .177 Hawke Airmax 8-32X50

Site Regular

I have an old 42" net with a 6ft glass pole thats perfectly usable that you can have dependent on where your based (ie I'm not posting it, too much aggravation for me)