Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best barbel rods for thames

You go barbel fishing on the Thames you catch carp, you go carp fishing you catch barbel. Both pull hard as we know. I now use 2.75tc scopes in 10ft and they certainly don't feel overgunned, but have more than enough grunt to deal with heavy flow ( and flood conditions ), big leads, long chucks and fishing near snags.

Harrison chimera 3s always seem to get good reviews for heavy water barbelling and chucking out big feeders.

I have always seemed to manage with my 11 ft one and three quarters torrixs well enough in all but the biggest flows admittedly lobbing big leads up to six ounces not full blown casting.

Have a look at Dave lumbs website he has got some nice rods on there that won't break the bank too much if your after a harrison blank.

The 13 foot Tri-Cast Legend 1.75 (it does say 1.25but its 1.75) superb rod you feel everything yet it would land a great white

I have the prodigy tx twin tops for a bit of flow have put on 4 oz leads on and are very comfortable doing so but much prefer using my drenans just a much nicer action and a better alround rod imho

Drennan 13ft Extreme Distance Carp Method Feeder. Several separate quiver tips both carbon & glass. Can cast a 5oz feeder.

Tri cast legend barbel rod ,every time can't be beat

I use the drennan power barbell in 2lb tc.perfect for it,even in the floods we had other month,sticking a 5oz lead out no worries.
    the korum rods look good though, but haven't actually seen anyone using them !
    thank your mother for the rabbits...

rex hunt

Elite (Bronze)

One of my friends has the korum rods and they are OK, would never be my choice as the cork feels cheap , and far too many eyes but would be fine for fishing with .
    I'll stick to my bowlers .

Default Tidal trent

I been fishing on the Tidal Trent casting 6 ozs feeders using Fox duo lite twin tip with a 2 1/4 tc top and they were perfect
    Jesus loves you" is a nice gesture in church - but a terrible thing to hear in a Mexican prison

Beginner Member

Default Barbel rods for larger rivers like the Thames

I don't often fish larger rivers however when I do I will use my Greys 1.5lb/2lb TC Multi tip with the 2lb TC tip fitted if I need to swing out a large feeder.
    Else If I'm fishing relatively close in I just use my normal Greys 1.7lb rod.

Keith