Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best barbel rods for thames

Site Connoisseur

Default best barbel rods for thames

can any one tell me the best tc rod for the main thames and the size of line will also be fishing not in but near wiers sometimes i have a 1.75 tc rod does not feel man enough been looking at korum rods any good

Site Connoisseur

The Harrison 12ft 2 1/4lb tc Multi-Carp is well worth a look.

Elite (Bronze)

I use a pair of martin bowler drennan barbel rods on the thames in 1.75lb and theyve been fine including in floodwater swinging (not casting) anything up to 6oz . They feel more like a rod with a 2lb test if im honest . Lovely rods to fish with

Site Connoisseur

I have a greys prodigy 1.75 it seems a bit soft I might be wrong but I would not put more than a 2.5 oz weight on it it bends over a lot also what size line is best for Thames

Elite (Bronze)

I use 12lb gr60 myself . Floodwater I switch to 20lb braid . I have cast 6oz leads with mine and no problem . But its more of a lob than a cast really . Depends what your budget is really . My 1.75s cover everything I do on the thames .

Have a look at the 30+ Kodex Specimen rod 1.75-2.25 test curve. I got two for the wife from go outdoors at 44.95 each and have been very impressed. I use the Wychwood 1.75 and they match up to these. Have only used on the Wye but am sure they would work on the Thames
    Chris - Stoney and Friends Committee member

Site Connoisseur

As you can guess I am new to barbel fishing Also I have 3 tips with my rod 2 3 4 oz would I use say the 4 oz on the Thames or the other section with no quiver would the 4 oz be for smaller rivers with less flow someone said that the section with no quiver is for float fishing is this correct I am thinking of selling my greys and buying a pair higher TC

Site Connoisseur

Just go with the straight top, can't remember the last time I used a quiver for barbel fishing. It can be used for float fishing (I'd prefer a proper float rod though), but not solely for that use.

Quote Originally Posted by runrun1 View Post
    As you can guess I am new to barbel fishing Also I have 3 tips with my rod 2 3 4 oz would I use say the 4 oz on the Thames or the other section with no quiver would the 4 oz be for smaller rivers with less flow someone said that the section with no quiver is for float fishing is this correct I am thinking of selling my greys and buying a pair higher TC

Agreed with Paul - quiver not required on the Thames. Much of the time you will need you rod low and backleaded to avoid the boats /rowers etc

As for TC is depends so much on the blank - I wouldn't go less than 1.75 though.
    Wanted:
    Fox Stalker IG
    Fox Bonsai IG
    Greys XFlite Carp rod (Original one not a X Flite Plus)
    Issue 74 of Pike and Predators
    A return of the piking pirate on either DVD or VHS

Frequent User

I use Harrison 2lb multi carp for 95% of my Thames Barbel fishing, no need for quiver tips. Used with 12lb big game line. When river is in flood i use the Harrison flood rod with 15lb big game.

Elite (Gold)

If you can find one the drennan 2lb+ barbel rods are superb for the money and i prefer them to the torrix and free spirit barbel seeker and hi s barbel rods that i had and they are less than half the price of them.

Site Regular

Free Spirit Barbel Seeker's - a proper rod

I'm not a barbel man, but have had several whilst carping. They've all given me a proper run-around on 2 3/4 rods and 30Ib braid, so I would er on the side of heavy, especially if fishing in a weir amongst flows and snags. The best of my flukes, a fish just over 14, fought as hard as any carp I've ever hooked.

Frequent User

You could also use a fox warrior barbel rod. They are a bit stiff but some of my mates use them. My fishing partner G Robb uses a Harrison 1 3/4lb for all his Thames fishing in fact all his barbel fishing. Quite a soft top section but plenty of power in the butt section. Some rods are to stiff and you have a greater chance of hook pulls, don't fish to light as the quicker you get the fish in less chance of acid build up in the fish and a dead barbel. ps i have had fish of over 17lb and Guy fish of over 18lbs from the Thames. Good luck.

Fox duo lite twin tip with a 1 3/4 and 2 1/4 tc tops should cover most situations i would have thought

Big river, snaggy, big fish. I use 2.5 test rods and don't feel over gunned.

Site Connoisseur

I use a Daiwa Theory 1.75 tc in normal conditions but use Greys Prodigy TX's 2lb tc when its up and banging through.

The chub Outkast SW 12' 2.25lb TC is spot on for fishing the Thames. Match it up with a Shimano XTEA5000 and 10lb line and you have got a very purposeful combination.

Beginner Member

I'd go with what thommo said fox duo with 2 tops quivers IMO have no place in my rod bag only looking for a wrap round which is defo a barbel bite

What do you guys think of using something like a 9ft 2.75tc stalking rod ? Just thinking the shorter rod may help with boats etc.
    They say that The Queens Dragoon Guards are the worlds most feared cavalry regiment, I tell them that they are right!!