Thread: Sportex 8 lbs tc catapult spod rod

Frequent User

Default Sportex 8 lbs tc catapult spod rod

Hi, I was thinking of getting a sportex spod rod it's 13ft and 8 lbs test, has anyone used this ?

8lb test curve sounds, frankly, savage.

i use a 4.5lb TC and can only compress it properly with a fully loaded spomb (with hemp and chopped boilies, so relatively dense).

i think that the vast majority of people wouldnt be able to compress that properly to get any distance.
    Complete and utter blanker.

'knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting a tomato in a fruit salad'. B O'Driscol.

Elite (Gold)

The 8lb but has got to be a miss print! You could never compress that so it would be no good.

Elite (Gold)

Depends on the action, if it's a progressive/through action rod that say the top 25% of it bends with a pocket rocket but a large spod or spomb fully loaded bends it right through on a big chuck I would think it would be a very useful tool all round.
    Old enough to retire. poor enough not to.

Frequent User

I have checked it is 8 lbs tc and meant to have a low diameter blank and easy to compress for long chucks. If anyone has used one I would like to get some feedback, thanks.

Site Regular
    8 mtr motorhome in europe been back since 2010

Biggest market for Sportex is now Germany they are mad for them try googling german carp tackle dealers be prepared to use an online translator ,i do not think you will find this sort of tool in the uk i used to be a sportex fan big boys toys had some13 footers at one time ripped the muscles of the tendons
    in my right elbow ended up wearing a neoprene splint for 3 months , (otherwise known as tennis elbow do not know why cos rarely has anything to do with tennis) now heres the rub if stepped up tony fordham 13ft 3lb tc rods can do this what will an 8lb tc spod do bear this in mind cos tennis elbow is painfull .
    I would reccomend a Bruce Ashby rocketeer if you can find one try tackle box if not watch the classifieds bruce ashby sadly died recently so i do not know if production will still carry on if it does go for the 50mm butt ring option try ringing tackle box 1st

Frequent User

Cheers guys for your feedback, I have bit the bullet and placed a order for the sportex rod, hope to use it soon.

How much was it
    Edited for the sensitive prissy meow meows we entertain

Frequent User

T.c means nothing ! in theory a rod might never bend through 90 it's the action that matters and a progressive action is best suited to spodding heavy loads imo.A rod may have a very delicate tip even a spliced tip suitable for mini spods/spombs so disregard the t/c .

That said i would be interested to hear how this rod performs...Cheaper than i would of expected from the sportex stable !
    Waiting Patiently ...

Nice rod for cats - interesting!

Occasional User

8 lbs for spodding?
    i use the Fox Spod with 5,5 lbs with the Korda Skyliner...this is enough

Frequent User

Quick update, have used the rod this weekend with my shimano 8000 reel loaded with 30lbs whiplash braid, my first thoughts are the rod is quite heavy but I'm very impressed with the distance I could smash a spod or lead a lot further than my old nash spod rod. Overall it's a very well made rod with quality fittings and I'm happy with it. My friend has the fox horizon spod rod and we could both cast further with my sportex rod.

Elite (Bronze)

I spent 10 years living in Germany and all the German carp anglers I met thought sported were s##t rods! they all want uk rods! I have massive shopping lists when I went back to the uk.