Thread: Which whip? ;o)

Default Which whip? ;o)

I mainly lure fish for perch, but am considering trying live baiting for them as there are a couple of lakes down my way that don't allow lure fishing

Which whip and what length whip would you recommend for catching livies?

Thanks
    PM me if you need bait boat batteries

Site Regular

Personally I always take a float rod rather than a whip...
    Catching lives to order can be very frustrating as I'm sure you will find out..
    I found the whip very restrictive as many times the lives where much further out.
    A float rod covers all options as there is nothing more frustrating than spending half your days fishing trying to catch a usable size livo.

Sounds very feasible. I suppose I have got used to only carrying one rod and a small rucksack and landing net, so am not used to carrying 3 made up rods, lol

Thanks
    PM me if you need bait boat batteries

Site Regular

I keep my float rod made up in a small fitted sleeve for 3 piece rods.. Means its not to much of an effort to take..plus you can grab that and a bucket and go catch the lives before taking all The gear out.
    Greys do one now I believe..
    This time of year a whip should be sufficient its more the winter when catching 'good' size lives is a bit more challenging.

Site Regular

Sheps, I use either a 5m whip or an old 10ft float/ledger rod for my snatching gear. I've an old abu 501 on the float rod, just less bangs & tangles than a normal reel, but choice is your fella. Either on just gets banded & lobbed in the quiver.

90% . . . . . . . .... . Bait:............... 9% . . . . . . . . . . Luck:............. 1%

A little 3m whip has always done me, I even have one of those poundshop 2.2m things in my Pike gear with a little box of bits and a made up pole rig, just in case.
    If keeping the gear right down is a priority sheps, a little whip is the way to go. If you're handy, you can even make a "Reducer" that will allow you to temporarily add your landing net pole (And thus 2m of length) to the whip...
    Make Bait...
    Not War...