Thread: Trakker Big Z brolly repair

Elite (Bronze)

Default Trakker Big Z brolly repair

Hi guys,

Have suffered a slight leak at the end of the season around the bell cap area on my Trakker big Z brolly.

Currently have the brolly set up in the garden, have completely cleaned the brolly & infill panel plus have put 2 coats of fabsil on the brolly, also have removed the bell cap & before replacing it have put a liberal amount of clear sealant under neath it plus around the base of the bell cap & have allowed 24 hours for the sealant to cure. Bell cap was reasonably straight forward to gently remove, has a grub screw on the side of the bell cap, put in alan key & used pliers to gently undo the grub screw.

My question is there something or a product ? which i can put on the underneath on the brolly fabric around the bell cap area, as this area of fabric can weaken & get slighty thinner over the years with plenty of use ie: the amount of times the brolly gets put up & taken down on each session, quite a few times each season. Also UV rays from the sun can also have an affect on this area of fabric.

Also have i done enough to try & cure this slight leak?

Have used this brolly system a few years now & am rather attached to it, problem has only appeared the last couple of sessions towards the end of the season.

The measures i have taken so far, i will not know untill i use the brolly on the next session to see if i have managed to stop the slight leak or not.

All help would be much appreciated.

A lot of the time proofing alone will do the trick. With the old 50's the leaks tend to come from the material around the bell cap, it wears thin,you can probably see some daylight through it.

I've tried a few different things and my favourite is "original tear aid" it's self adhesive, clear,waterproof,breathable and stretchy. What i do is cut triangles and stick from one tape to the next (inside the brolly) ..the weak areas at the top in between the tapes.

Having used aquasure/seamgrip etc it by far the easiest and the tidiest way imo..you hardly notice it

Waiting Patiently ...

Frequent User

Hi

I repaired mine with the rubber bits from a puncture repair kit.
    Lots of cutting into small pieces and gluing but works so far

Mark

Elite (Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by Gormski64 View Post
    Hi

I repaired mine with the rubber bits from a puncture repair kit.
    Lots of cutting into small pieces and gluing but works so far

Mark
    Hi retro,

Where do i get this original tear aid from? what does it cost?

Thanks for help so far guys.

Elite (Bronze)

No worries, just found tear aid on Ebay, just ordered a 12'' x 6'' strip, arriving Thurs or Fri this week, can put what i don't use on brolly repair away for future use.

Gone for type 'A'

Looks like great repair stuff, hopefully will stop the slight leak.