Thread: Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Beginner Member

Default Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi To Everyone.

I am a new member to the AF site and I will immediately confess to both never having fished anything in my life and also knowing absolutely nothing about fishing. However, I am actually looking to buy a carp fishing business in Tenerife and I desperately need any help I can get from AF Members to ensure that if I do indeed proceed, that I am armed with the right advice and the knowledge I would need to create an experience that is worthy of carp fishers/ing. So a Big Please to anyone out there who might be prepared to 'very patiently' guide/assist me (in laymens language please) as to what is important and what I should be paying attention to.

It was when I recently started researching this business and carp fishing in general on Google, that I came across an AF member asking other members on this forum about any carp fishing opportunities in Tenerife. The responses to his enquiry from members who had already fished here were very negative in almost every respect and therefore any suggestions that could reverse these adverse opinions would be very helpful - particularly regarding a number of comments that appeared to suggest that the fish were being treated cruelly and didn't appear to be in good condition. Comments regarding the manner in which customers were treated, the lack of site facilities and the condition of the rods, bait etc. I am already very confident I can overcome, however, there is obviously a standard that should be applied to how the fish stock is managed and treated etc. that appears to as equally important and this is initially where I would appreciate your expertise, experience and any advice/comments/suggestions.

Obviously because I don't know anything about carp fishing, I don't really know where to start in giving out any information that may be relevant in asking for your assistance, so please feel free to ask for any preliminary info that will be required to assist me. All I can tell you initially is that the site I am looking at is a reservoir of approx 50m x 25m and it is apparently very deep (I will get more exact dimensions in due course)

I hope that is enough to get some dialogue going?????

Thank you very much in anticipation of receiving some enthusiastic and helpful feedback.

Regards
    Tim Baker

Hi Tim,
    Are you looking at stocking the reservoir with carp or does it already hold carp?
    50m x 25m, are we talking metres here? If metres it'll be fine as a stock holding pond but is too small as a fishery.
    Rich

Ha ha - I'd read the dimensions as miles not metres. Quite some difference which would have a huge bearing.
    Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange that meeting.

Hi mate,

For me if I was starting a business in something I wasn't familiar with then I would take someone along with me that is.

The first questions you should be asking are

How many fish are in the lake and what are the size breakdowns of those fish. You want to ask what types of carp are in the lake, common carp,mirror carp ect ect( do a search and look at some examples). Ideally you will want a nice mixed variation. The next question would be the fishing history of the place. Who has fished it, what did they catch, what can someone expect to catch over a 5 day period.

Generally unless there are monsters in the lake (70lb+) for people to sit it out for, generally anglers will want to have a good chance of catching fish so the lake needs to be sufficiently stocked in terms of numbers to facilitate that. I would research heavily into what the stock levels are on most of the French lakes as they are what you should be aiming for interms of turning a fishing lake into a holiday business.

You need to make it comfortable most anglers like to think they are ray Mears but in truth we all want commfort, good food and good easy-ish fishing when going on an angling holiday.

The facilities need to be spot on. A nice comfortable lodge for storage of food and drink and a place to sit and eat. Again just take a look at what places in France offer and you'll soon see what I'm talking about.

Really to give for exact advise I would need to know a bit more about the lake, size, what's the terrain like, are you planning on supplying some of gear needed ie bivvys bedchairs pods, are you going to have on site bait available.
    He who never fails, never tries anything new!

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    Hi Tim,
    Are you looking at stocking the reservoir with carp or does it already hold carp?
    50m x 25m, are we talking metres here? If metres it'll be fine as a stock holding pond but is too small as a fishery.
    Rich
    Quarter of an acre is not totally unfeasible, but it is on the small side.

Quote Originally Posted by farfromthesun View Post
    True, but i wouldn't travel to Tenerife to fish a 1/4 acre pond!

I dismissed it as miles as I didn't think Tenerife had a ressi of that size, IF it does, then it would def be worth developing and getting over there to fish!

Elite (Gold)

Is that not the size of an olympic swimming pool?

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    True, but i wouldn't travel to Tenerife to fish a 1/4 acre pond!
    Me neither.

I guess it might be the kind of thing that someone on holiday there might be interested in, to get a break from the wife and kids.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart666 View Post
    Is that not the size of an olympic swimming pool?
    Yeah.....lol...lago del noddy...:-)
    Groove with the melody

Frequent User

Quote Originally Posted by farfromthesun View Post
    20 fish in a lake that size for them to hold any size prob even less than that. Gota look at at least a few acres of water to think about earning and running it as a business with overhead costs etc. Test the water quality, look for signs of any natural food, how the place gets its water any problem that you can literally think of try and imagine a solution, there's a lot more things that crop up with a fishery than you would think.