Thread: Beginners Carp Reel Suggestions

Beginner Member

Default Beginners Carp Reel Suggestions

Hey there,

I have been fishing for roughly six months, learning new things everyday mostly from videos and magazines so my knowledge is very basic. I started off with just a float rod which is a John Wilson 10ft mirage with a drennan series 7 reel using all sorts of setups, I am happy with catching anything really as long as it doesn't destroy my reel or rod so I'm using 5.6lb line, the last few times I have been to a fisheries which has mostly trout and carp a few breem and I've been told roach, I use maggots and pellets on my float and I'm constantly catching 3-5lb carp, I'm not complaining but I am worried that my reel just isn't up to the job of these greedy carp so I have gone and bought a basic NGT 2.75 tc 12ft carp rod and I have around 30-40 to spend on a reel, I don't fish in many large lakes but it would help if I had a decent amount of room for say 150m of line on for example just incase I do decide to try a large open area.

What I feel I want from a reel is a rear drag and a free spool, maybe 5 bearings or more, I have been told that a ratio of 5.1:1 is good also for carp and yes that was from Matt Hayes, whether he is just saying that because his reels have that ratio I don't know but I'm open to suggestions in what may be good for me.

Sorry for the long post but I'm fresh out of ideas from most tackle shops I go to don't offer much advice but try to sell me the best reel they have.

Thanks Shadows

Site Regular

Hiya
    I would look at a shimano baitrunner for a good free spool reel and with rear drag , if your not fishing too bigger lakes the 5010 would be ideal.

Look on Ebay for reels or the for sale section on here, there is a shimano 5010 on ebay at the mo for 36.99.
    Hope this helps

Ebay number for the reel is 161011045166

Jeff
    Professional driver paid professional wages? Yeah right dont think so.

Lineaffe vigor 60 baitrunners you wont go wrong for the money,i gave 10 each new with spare spools.I bought them for my kids but have used them many times myself.
    Waiting Patiently ...

Frequent User

Still got 3 shimano 10000 DL baitunners going strong and don't think I'll replace them unless I start fishing to the horizon somewhere.

Site Connoisseur

as per previously suggested, get hold of a good condition shimano baitrunner 5010... and if you're only fishing for the smaller carp i'd stick with the john wilson rod rather than the 2.75 seems a bit overgunned for that?

Ben

As above a 5010 will be perfect but again I'd suggest if your catching 3-6 carp then a 2 3/4 rod will take a lot if the enjoyment out of it.
    He who never fails, never tries anything new!

Beginner Member

What weight of fish is suitable for my 2.75 tc rod? Fisheries I go to have got seperate ponds some with up to 25lb carp, I don't have any of the latest stuff either like a bite alarm or rod pod so I'm just using some bank sticks at the moment, have learnt how to tie hair rigs and what necessary knots I need to use. I got given an abu garcia fr505 I think but the rear drag is broken so having to loosen the spool at the moment hence the new reel.

Thanks
    Shadows

You dont need anything fandangled no matter what anyone tells you...lie your rod on the ground,you'll know when you get one,a knotless knot a running lead or float and some sweetcorn/luncheon meat job done.
    A 2.75 TC will be capable of landing any size fish but smaller fish will be nowhere near as much fun but that said a lighter rod will be capable of landing 25lb fish yet still be more suitable for the smaller ones.
    If you allready own the 2.75 get out and use it, if you feel overgunned you can always buy a lighter tc one,Ngt's and the like are very cheap these days so it won't break the bank.
    Waiting Patiently ...

Site Regular

Second hand shimano baitrunner

Mate don't worry about pods and bits like that. Fish knot less knot hair rigs, with a normal running rig that your used to setting up for your ledger fishing.

If you don't have anyone around you to help send me a pm and I'd be more that happy to give you some more in depth advise.
    He who never fails, never tries anything new!

Lots of good advice above and ill hopefully add to it by saying second hand.

I would recommend anyone to look at the second hand Diawa emblem 5000t (gold) will do all you want, its light, well made, excellent line lay, will last you, will keep its value and most importantly be a pleasure to use.

Basically for 30-40 your in a win win situation. Loaded with 12-18lb Diawa sensor you'll have a sensibly priced bit of kit that will do all you'll ever want, bar the long distance casting of 150+ yards plus which probably accounts for 1% of angling.

I think the Shimano 8010GT Aero is a fantastic cheap reel.

Can pick up excellent examples for around 40

Everything you can want in a reel.

Good luck mate, remember watercraft will catch you more fish than expensive gear.

Tackle or bait boat hire, pm me or see my profile

Second hand Shimano 5000 bait runners have very good history and shouldn't let you down if looked after. Keep an eye on tackle shops having sales as sometimes they have new ones for 50ish. I've got a 5000 gte that has had a hard life on my stalking rod and hasn't let me down once in 10+ years!!

echo the 3000/3500.5000/5010 shimano baitrunner route, there so reliable, best 30-45 you would spend depending on spec ie,gt gte etc. i use the 5010 gt reels got 6 or 7 and use them for most of my river fishing for carp on 1-1/2-2-1/2lb daiwa rods light by today's standards but set up will land most fish.although your arm can ache a bit with a big fish. and daiwa sensor is a great reliable cheap line online for 7.94 delivered.(got some 4lb for the kids last week) invicta angling centre.
    Lee Davison, Period furniture Restoration and constucting In Norfolk.