Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Contact from new members.. Beware!

alot of people like me are just trying to get into carp fishing i use the forums for ideas etc but also used tackle to build up my gear cheaply
    if i cannt get the gear i need i cant go fishing hence have nothing to talk about carp wise therfore my post count will remain low and i wont be able to buy gear as im not loaded
    50 posts is a hell of alot i think mabe a good idea to say you cant sell till 50 posts
    but you can buy. then its upto the people selling if they trust a new member or not .
    the people who already sell on here will have a larger market too
    i think the carp world is a bit to cilcky already and to say you have to prove yourself to us by posting 50 posts before you trust us new members is crazy imagine if you had to vist a pond or a lake 50 times before they let you fish youd say sod it wouldnt you
    i think that 99 percent of people who take the time to join a forum are genuine people its a shame that we feel we have to treat people with such suspition
    how about innocent until proven guilty
    instead of we will treat you like a criminal until you prove your not
    here fishy fishy

I recently bought 2 big pits of a seller did it all through pms, Seller was great updating me all the time but to be honest i was wary buying from someone ive never met so decided paypal would be best to cover myself.

Would it not be better to insist if users with less than the 50 required posts stump up fees for paypal.

Also agree with a previous user that if someone wants to rip you off they will do it regardless of posts.

Elite (Gold)

Quote Originally Posted by 123mcmurray81 View Post
    alot of people like me are just trying to get into carp fishing i use the forums for ideas etc but also used tackle to build up my gear cheaply
    if i cannt get the gear i need i cant go fishing hence have nothing to talk about carp wise therfore my post count will remain low and i wont be able to buy gear as im not loaded
    50 posts is a hell of alot i think mabe a good idea to say you cant sell till 50 posts
    but you can buy. then its upto the people selling if they trust a new member or not .
    the people who already sell on here will have a larger market too
    i think the carp world is a bit to cilcky already and to say you have to prove yourself to us by posting 50 posts before you trust us new members is crazy imagine if you had to vist a pond or a lake 50 times before they let you fish youd say sod it wouldnt you
    i think that 99 percent of people who take the time to join a forum are genuine people its a shame that we feel we have to treat people with such suspition
    how about innocent until proven guilty
    instead of we will treat you like a criminal until you prove your not
    How can you have nothing to talk about if you don't go fishing. If you are just starting out you should have a million questions to ask. I personally think the post count should be raised from 50 to 100. Everyone else had to wait, why should new members get any special privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by stuart666 View Post
    How can you have nothing to talk about if you don't go fishing. If you are just starting out you should have a million questions to ask. I personally think the post count should be raised from 50 to 100. Everyone else had to wait, why should new members get any special privileges.
    I personally think if you had to wait for 50 posts to buy/sell as a new member then it should be that for new members now, if by chance it was a 100 when you joined then it should be that now.

If a seller gets a pm from a member with less than 50 posts thats the sellers choice whether or not to enter into a deal.

The person i bought off had his item up over 1 month and it didn't sell i helped him he helped me, lets not punish genuine new members for the actions of others?

stuart i was speaking in the 3rd person i think from my picture you can plainly see i go fishing when i say im just starting out i mean a few years not weeks and its resonses like that which make people not feel welcome
    here fishy fishy

Quote Originally Posted by Twoten View Post
    I personally think if you had to wait for 50 posts to buy/sell as a new member then it should be that for new members now, if by chance it was a 100 when you joined then it should be that now.

If a seller gets a pm from a member with less than 50 posts thats the sellers choice whether or not to enter into a deal.

The person i bought off had his item up over 1 month and it didn't sell i helped him he helped me, lets not punish genuine new members for the actions of others?
    Because it is now 50 it should stay 50? Hell it used to be zero so it should be zero!

Its working but people abuse it, it needs looking at and maybe those that have been here a while have more of an idea as to how it should change rather than those who want it to stay/change because of how it favours themselves.
    Cornish Ben, King of the Pasties

Perhaps it should be 50 post count or 6months since registering, whatever takes longer ??
    We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Had a thread on wanted for a bedchair cover , just had a new member saying he had one and checked out only 2 posts !!! but contacting via PM although I am after one explained he only had two posts so would leave it But it is going on via PM messages so take care trade at your own risk
    Black is the new Camo

Elite (Bronze)

I've found that by pricing the gear I sell on here at a fair and reasonable price should get a fair few pms , giving you a bit of choice as to who to sell to safely . I must admit I try to do a deal in person rather than postage no matter how expensive or cheap , as both people see what they're getting before parting with cash . Saves the disappointment of something being delivered not as stated in the advert . Ie damage , marks etc .
    I've bought and sold lots on this forum and been happy with every transaction , as have the buyers I've sold to . Something I've always made sure of .
    It's defo a good idea for the minimum 50 posts to stay , before being allowed to buy/sell in the for sale or wanted section , and glad that its being watched closely by the mods . Good stuff

Elite (Silver)

IF someone has no feedback via this site I often ask for their e-bay details most who use forums use e-bay at some point if i feel some things not right and then they say they don't do e-bay i pass. I have 1400 all positive on there so people can get a pretty good idea i'm honest. Any item under 20 i'm happy to deal with paypal as gift either way any larger item its bank transfer to me when I sell and paypal and i'll pay fee the other ...the main thing is always send stuff recorded or special delivery because if they say they've not got it unless the post office have a signature they will reverse the paypal payment unless gift of course but you really do have no comeback at all. I've dealt with a few new posters on here with only a couple of posts and so far no issues...

Beginner Member

as said before just because some one has x amount of post dosn't make them trust worthy iv'e only got a few postbut iv'e been a member for years i dont always post but i enjoy reading other peoples post.im just not that computer wise and dont always have time to sit on site as.busy work and home life so i would be counted with the same low life who sole purpose is to rip people off so low posting rule dosn't make sense to me.

Beginner Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Just recenty we have had a few new members join and the first thing they want to do is post on the for sale board or try and get more information on something being sold or wanted to sell you something that you have advertised on the wanted section.

We are doing our best to keep an eye on this and all mods have been informed regarding this problem but it is down to you if you are going to deal with them. We would also loke some feedback from you if you get PMs from new members. Some I am sure are genuine, but others may not be. If it doesn't feel right, the price is well cheap then perhaps there is an issue with that member.
    Hi I'm a new member and I actually found the forum recently when I was browsing round the web looking for places selling carp rods (I have some but hey they are never as good as the next set will be, eh?) First thing I did when something caught my eye the other day was check the seller's posts to see if they seemed a legit community member, just here for the carp fishing chat. So I do get the 50 posts rule.

A suggestion to other new members that are legit - what I've done before on other forums is get people to PM me on eBay and get a reply from me there - so they can see I am a trusted seller and buyer and general okay citizen in another setting.

The other thing I will do just to reassure a seller is pay them pronto (I know that's a risk on my part, but it rather does win someone's trust).

Anyway I had better join the carp discussions if I'm ever going to get anywhere in this section but thought I'd add my comments to the ones saying just because we're new it doesnt mean we are all scammers.

1 down 49 to go.

:J

Beginner Member

Strangely enough before reading the above posts I've just joined this forum because I had to join to be able to contact the member who wants to sell a couple of Diawa Linear-X spare spools. Fortunately I'm not desperate for the spare spools and the only inconvenience I'll suffer is either waiting for some spools to come up on eBay or re-spooling a couple of the spools I have here with me.

I agree sellers here have to be protected but it's not always possible to meet (I'm fishing in Thailand at the moment) so PayPal would seem a reasonable method of carrying out a transaction providing that is a face to face meeting isn't possible.

Finally, Yes, I'm a newbie so finding my way around isn't straight forward so any helpful tips / advice would be more than welcome!

Beginner Member

One thing though is i have found this forum because a member of my syndicate pointed me in this direction
    because some one had some rods for sale.

I would look like i am a problem, looking to buy a product and just joined but i am not
    may be there is a way of having to give out contact details to the mods etc. address and tel numbers

just an idea

James