Thread: Live Thames Update - Walton Bridge (No Fishing Permitted)

Default Live Thames Update - Walton Bridge (No Fishing Permitted)

OK, so its not fishing but at least you can keep abreast of the new bridge being assembled (Left of shot). Will it be snag city once they are finished and they've removed the old bridge and its pilings? Or will they dig them out and leave nice holes for the fish to lay up in? The mind boggles

ww.camvista.com/streaming/waltonbridge.html[/url]
    Last edited by rhornegold; 25-09-2012 at 18:44. Reason: No Links

Frequent User

Hi

Cant see the webcam off this device but sure it is good. In answer to your question, the contractors will remove the old structure to 1 metre below the river dredging level. So should be pretty clean (ish).

It will not start to come down until end of 2013 from last I heard.

Ta
    rivertac.org

The TAC received this e-mail reply from the head of the new bridge project a while ago, the 3rd para answers your question -

Thank you for your email.

We are just about completing the site clearance. The public conveniences will be coming down by the end of this month, but not before we have opened the temporary facilities in the newly extended car park. Cafe Gino will also be moving to the car park in the next week.

Once all this is done the 'real' construction work can commence, and it won't be too long before you see the works rising out of the ground.

We won't be removing the old bridges until the second half of 2013. We are required to remove all the structure to a depth of 1.0 metres below the river dredging level, so what is left will not interfere with your fishing.

At present I do not have an approved method statement for the removal of the bridges, but the general principal will be for a crane to reverse across the bridges, removing the sections of the bridge as it goes. So that by the time it reaches the other side there should be no bridge left! We will try to pull out the existing bridge piers, but if that proves too difficult divers will cut off the piers below the river bed level.
    Neil

Walton on Thames PAC - www.waltonpac.org.uk
    Thames Anglers Conservancy - www.rivertac.org

Angling Trust No 43330

Occasional User

Had some big pike under that bridge shame it is going.Never mind.

Having done this kind of work I know for a fact that the divers will not cut off below riverbed level more like an inch or 2 off bed level so do bear that in mind when it comes to fishing there.
    They may get lucky and pull the old piers out but will depend on what crane they have onsite. If they have a vibro hammer and are permitted to use it they could well get them out.
    Also having undertaken many jobs like this on the Thames over the years I would not in the least bit be surprised if they get pushed for time and cut corners.
    We did a wear rebuild that I ended up walking off the job due when the old wear was taken down it was all dumped in the wear pool in a deep hole due to not factoring in the price to move the old metal and wear frame off site so it was cut up and just dumped in the river.
    It's shocking what some of these contractors will do to save time and money.

Beginner Member

But this firm have a webcam watching (see link in first post)...

Having watched the bridge going up day by day for a year or so ive got to say its been amazing watching the work thats gone into it...at long last a proper eye pleasing bridge instead of the ramshackle temporary bridges of the past! When I was fishing Penny Lane in 1990 they were drilling bore holes around the lake to see if the bridge could go literaly through the marina!

Impressive.....

ww.camvista.com/streaming/waltonbridge.html

Just add the w......

Regards Tad.

Ps Thames looks in good nick ATM....

Frequent User

with reference to the condition of the riverbed at Walton Bridge , i should imagine it is immaterial as any fish that were there are long gone , probably never to return ,

Quote Originally Posted by whitetoby View Post
    with reference to the condition of the riverbed at Walton Bridge , i should imagine it is immaterial as any fish that were there are long gone , probably never to return ,
    Probably backed up into the marina there - most of the fish do one this time of year at Walton and nothing gets caught . The bream certainly disappear and the preds follow the shoal fish into the marina .
    The year of the river 30 !