Thread: Pike in Fleet Ponds

Default Pike in Fleet Ponds

Gents',

Many years ago I used to fish Fleet Pond (the larger one of the two) for Pike and had some good fun down there with my biggest going to just under 20lbs. However, I have not been down there for years and wondered whether any of you guys have fiosfed it recently since I don't really want to spend a day in the cold and wet if the stcok levels have now been eradicated.

I have walked round a few times but have never seen anybody fishing for Pike and wondered if you knew what it is like? It is such a shame that the place has deteriorated so much as I have fond memories of fishing down ther during my summer holidays (20years + ago!) and catching tench and bream (and the occassional small carp) all day long.

Regards,

Richard

Site Regular

I'd be interested too, used to live round the corner and spent most of my childhood at the lake in the the mid 80's. My impression is that its silted up a lot since then especially over by sandy bay and by the inlet stream (down from the green footbridge - can't remember the name - that was always the piking hot-spot)

Used to get pike from pretty much all over the lake, especially in amongst the islands (where you weren't supposed to go!) I do remember them being particularly pale and anemic looking, and I've a few photos that attest to that! I'd have thought you stand a better chance on the canal or maybe the small lake - that looks much nicer these days (since they pulled the friggn plane out!) with some nice lilies. No idea if you can fish it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal1 View Post
    I have fond memories of fishing down ther during my summer holidays (20years + ago!) and catching tench and bream (and the occassional small carp) all day long.

Regards,

Richard
    Aaah .... memories!

I used to fish Fleet Great for the pike back in the early 70's. Mainly off the station car park where the tunnels go under the line to Fleet Small. The pike would fry feed on perch then and would gang them up in the tunnel. Watching hundreds of fry climbing the walls trying to get away was a sight to behold. Used to catch the perch on a bare hook with a bit of fluff, leaf, anything really twitched through the water.

Fleet Small I used to fish back in the 60's when it went right up to the road .... its a lot smaller these days. Loads of Tench then.

Fleet Great has always been a shallow sandy water. With chesties you can walk to the inlet from the Basingstoke Canal (the pond takes the run off from Long Valley which is why it is so sandy)

Happy memories indeed! I will be giving it a bash soon and will let you know how I get on as ther are definitely still some fish in there although nobody ever seems to fish it now.

Happy memories indeed! I will be giving it a bash soon and will let you know how I get on as ther are definitely still some fish in there although nobody ever seems to fish it now.
    Not many people fished it then! Good luck.

I feel I might need it!

Site Regular

I fished it last year - lure fished from a kayak and most of it was 18" deep over a similar depth of silt. I only tried a couple of sessions, saw loads of fish activity but couldnt get anything on a lure at all.

Beginner Member

Default Fishing Fleet Pond

Anglers who would like to see the fishing experience at Fleet Pond improved might like to know that we are about to launch a big campaign to raise mega-bucks to restore the pond's biodiversity. If we can raise the cash we intend a major dredging programme and include repair and improvement of jetties among other improvements. Support by the fishing community will be welcomed.

Gents',

Many years ago I used to fish Fleet Pond (the larger one of the two) for Pike and had some good fun down there with my biggest going to just under 20lbs. However, I have not been down there for years and wondered whether any of you guys have fiosfed it recently since I don't really want to spend a day in the cold and wet if the stcok levels have now been eradicated.

I have walked round a few times but have never seen anybody fishing for Pike and wondered if you knew what it is like? It is such a shame that the place has deteriorated so much as I have fond memories of fishing down ther during my summer holidays (20years + ago!) and catching tench and bream (and the occassional small carp) all day long.

Regards,

Richard

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Gray View Post
    Anglers who would like to see the fishing experience at Fleet Pond improved might like to know that we are about to launch a big campaign to raise mega-bucks to restore the pond's biodiversity. If we can raise the cash we intend a major dredging programme and include repair and improvement of jetties among other improvements. Support by the fishing community will be welcomed.
    But who is 'we' ? I know there is a 'Friends of Fleet Pond' society, but if you'd like some support you need to let us know who the hell you are!

PS - might be interested as I spent A LOT of time over there when I was a nipper.

Ditto.

Platinum

Click on his profile lads, there's a link to his website that you may find interesting...........................ficko's

Lufe is like a box of chocolates!

im 2 minutes from the pond so would be interested in helping this restoration programme. had a little spin over xmas but to no avail, always remember the piking being great early autumn just as the temperatures started dropping but havn't heard of much at all in recent years! seems almost unfished these days.

Very true. I will be giving it a go over the coming weeks so will let you know how I get on.

Does anybody know if there are Pike in the small pond behind the Heron on the Lake?

anyone had a go here? used to come here to see Bitterns as a kid but never fished it.