Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghost Stories whilst fishing

Default Ghost Stories whilst fishing

Seeing as no one can get out at moment, thought I'd start a thread. It will make interesting reading on these cold fishless nights.

Some years ago now whilst fishing a water called Rooksbury I had had a few fish
    . I was the only one on the lake at the time. The lake in question is totally surrounded by trees. There is only one entrance in and out unless you want to get wet.
    It was 1st light and I was sat drinking my 1st brew of the day when I saw someone walking around the far side of the lake. I didnt really think about it much ,other than I hadnt heard him pass me. I was on the 1st swim as you entered, so anyone coming in had to pass me. I watched him in the far corner walking behind a tree to the next swim but he never came out the other side. thought it was strange but again didnt give much thought to it.
    Later that morning one of the lococals I know popped down. He asked if anyone else was down. I told him I didnt think so and about the guy I had seen earlier but hadnt passed me on way in or out. He started laughing and informed me I'd probably seen old derek, a guy tyhat died of a heart attack whilst fishing that swim I'd seen him in. Apparently a few people have seen him.
    Things like this dont scare me because the dead cant hurt you.....its the live ones you got to watch!!!
    Finely tuned tackle

Frequent User

good story.

I remember one here a while ago about some bloke who was stood looking at the lake, and looked to his side to see someone in a highwaymans outfit (i think) stood next to him, then disappeared. Can anyone elaborate ???

Had a mate once who was fishing a nice little syndicate middle of no-where, very dark at night though !

he swears he woke one night feeling a little odd, like there was someone there....

then he said he could suddenly feel what he thought were hands on his face, cold and wet !

he couldnt move and then the hands seemed to disappear.........then nothing

There was no one on the lake apart from him, i turned up in the morning to find a freaked angler !
    It aint the size of your rod, its how you dangle it in the water !

well until now ive never told anyone about this story and too this day i cant explain it - well one night i was sitting in the bivvy when i here starnge bleeping noises in front of the bivvy near the water-guys i was scared!!!!!!!!!! the high pitch noises had me soiled
    put me off fishing for life i tell you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Not quite a Ghost story but freaked the hell out of me!!

Was on the river in a little spot that I have done many nights in and never see anybody as there is only one way in and out of the swim, Its quite over grown and I have to sit in amongst some tall reeds, anyway was about an hour after dark when I just had this strange feeling that someone watching me, I looked over my shoulder to find a man in his thirtys, bleach blond (white) spikey hair just standing stairing at me, It scarred the life out of me, I said you alright mate, you made me jump.. He said are you fishing, followed by a few more stupid questions before dropping in the weirdest questions I have ever been asked, First one was 'are you married' then 'have you ever had an affair' at this point I was getting freaked out and just said what is this thirty f*ing questions, he said sorry and walked off...
    I packed up lightning fast and headed the only way out of the swim downstream, its a narrow path with no other way off it unless you cross the river, two swims down I met another angler who I have fished with a few times along this stretch and he never saw anybody that night, The guy would of had to of walked past him to get to the swim I was in, after telling him, we was both heading off to the main road pretty quick...
    Have never fished that swim into darkness since!!
    "Lifes A pineapple in a cupboard"
    Gone Fishing.

I have had several encounters with ghosts over the years some friendly some not so friendly, I have been pulled out of bed by my feet, had someone sit on the end of the bed, had someone watching me when I was a kid from my bedroom window when I was in the garden playing, had terrible dreams about something hiding in the attic waiting for me to be alone in the house.
    Mum said it was something she had experienced over the years, and she has had some serious things happen to her. I have been out in the middle of the woods on many occasions due to my job and woken for some strange reason only to feel very uncomfortable as if someone or something was there in the dark.
    Only once when I was fishing did I have a ghostly experience, and that was when I was fishing a lake in France, been there for a couple of days during which it was really nice and peaceful, there was an old ch‚teau nearby riddled in bullet holes, ruined from the second world war. Anyway this lake is on a French Army training area so it was pretty secluded.
    During the late afternoons though I had the feeling that someone was watching me from the woods at the far end of the lake, each day at the same time I would get the same feeling, usually around dusk, and from different areas as if whatever it was, was getting closer.
    I remember wakening on the last night of my trip, outside the bivy it was very foggy and I could hardly see the dim glow of my bite alarms, I decided to make a brew, and as I flicked on the lighter the sparks silhouetted the face of a German Soldier helmet on peering into my bivy from the darkness outside.
    Next morning I packed up and went home not before speaking to some old French Estate Warden who told me that the old ch‚teau had seen some fierce fighting when the Americans liberated that area of France, the Germans had fled into the woods only to be ambushed by a patrol in reserve, all were killed and they were buried around the lake. Donít think I will fish there again, but there are plenty of other spooky waters out there thatís for sure.

I had a night on Ricketts mere, now i fish a lot of nights on my own, i am not afraid of the dark, and spend most of my life out and about. Nights in woods, camping, rabbit shooting on foot after dark etc, so to be alone in the dark is not a problem, i actually feel more scared walking down my local high st at night. Anyway...
    So i have done the night, no problems at all, i had not had any takes that night and was in the bag all night, when (now im not sure if i was awake, or dreaming at this point) i heard something walking around in the grass behind my bivvy. So i layed still, just peeping out of my bag, and straining to hear. It was just before dawn, about 5 in the morning, when i swear that a dark shape of a person walked right past the front of my oval brolly, i sat up quick smart, grabbed the hammer i keep under the bedchair and jumped out shouting ready to have a small row with whoever was snooping around my rod's. I knew nobody else was on the lake, and there are no houses or reason for anyone to be there except to fish. So to my amazement on belting the torch into the swim and me shouting...nothing...just my rods and swingers on the floor where i left them...i even got the 2m candle light out and swept the meadow i was fishing from, nothing....now that scared the sh*t out of me....maybe it does not sound that bad...but it certainly made me think about doing nights on my own again. whooha, getting chills thinking about it....
    Uh....what....what do you mean your rods gone........ Ricketts and chigbrough bailiff.

Wish i hadnt read this just before going to bed

some great stories....keep em coming
    Finely tuned tackle

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie R View Post
    well until now ive never told anyone about this story and too this day i cant explain it - well one night i was sitting in the bivvy when i here starnge bleeping noises in front of the bivvy near the water-guys i was scared!!!!!!!!!! the high pitch noises had me soiled
    put me off fishing for life i tell you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    you dont get many runs...i can tell lol
    Finely tuned tackle

i won't do this story justice, but me and a mate were fishing frimley pit3 years ago on a summers eve, it was a dead flat calm, bright day, we were all cast out and set up when a kid appeared behind us without making a sound, he asked a few questions etc and mentioned buying some bits from the tackle shop at prices that were about 10 years out of date, then without a sound he was gone, with that the sky turned black, the wind started howling and the heavens opened down on us. The following day we noticed a plaque on pit 4 about a young lad that drowned years previously 2 that exact day!

spooky as....
    Finely tuned tackle

Frequent User

i have seen stuff a few times and i beleive in this stuff. im convinced that they only appear to a few people as many have never seen anythin and ones that have seem to have seen more than one....spooky

I love ghost stories, keep um comin fellas.

im used to fishing on my own and the only time ive freaked out was when i was fishing a lake in sweden for afew hours after dark. i was quietly sat next to my rods when what felt like a hand or giant spider ran up my back. surrounded in pitch black woods no one could creep up unheard, i reeled in and left, feeling unnerved and violated

Nottingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

was fishing a pit in derbyshire some years back'when i was woken in the small hours by what sounded like a full on medievel battle behind my brolly! later found out the ancient bridge next to the pit is where bonnie prince charlie is said to have turned back and headed for home in 1745.

My brothers were fishing a place called Stafford Moor a few years back, the lakes are right on the edge of Dartmoor and its quite a secluded area to be hearing a baby crying in the middle of the night then the sound of a shotgun being fired, followed by no more crying baby sounds.

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by bigupgazza2009 View Post
    was fishing a pit in derbyshire some years back'when i was woken in the small hours by what sounded like a full on medievel battle behind my brolly! later found out the ancient bridge next to the pit is where bonnie prince charlie is said to have turned back and headed for home in 1745.
    wouldnt be swarky by any chance??

Not so much a ghost story but one to make you chuckle.
    On a syndicate I used to belong to (fishers pond) a couple of new guys joined from slough. Now these guys were big guys! The lake is very secluded and wooded. I had been fishing the day but had to go home for family party. Having chatted to the 2 guys,I said I'd be back in the morning to fish and I expected they would have a few in the night.
    Next morning I arrived in the car park to find the 2 guys asleep in there car. I tapped on the window to ask why they were sleeping in the car and had they had anything. They then proceeded to tell me about the nights events. They had heard roaring and growling coming from the woods behind and had legged it to the car and stayed there..I started laughing, tears streaming down my cheeks as I could see how scared they were. They asked what was funny and i told them that behind the woods 2 fields away lies Marwell Zoo and sometimes you can hear the tigers and if you dont know, it sounds like somrehting in the woods.
    Finely tuned tackle

Site Regular

Quote Originally Posted by molly View Post
    My brothers were fishing a place called Stafford Moor a few years back, the lakes are right on the edge of Dartmoor and its quite a secluded area to be hearing a baby crying in the middle of the night then the sound of a shotgun being fired, followed by no more crying baby sounds.
    probably a fox or deer that met it's end well known shooting area up there