Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: random carpy stories

fantastic reading. I read the parts 1 and 2 last night, and parts 3 and 4 just now. when will you will be writing about a different lake? I can't wait to read it!
    Up the toffees

Superb mate beats the usual drivel on here a thousand fold

Default Nice one strider

As Allways Strider a top tale

Legend. Awesome stuff
    singysblog.wordpress.com

amazing read, strider

Fantantastic. Proper old school carp writing a la Hutchy and co. Thanks a million for sharing Strider!
    Take only photo's, Leave only your footprints.

Brilliant read. Captures the very best fishing moments which don't come around too often. Great to be reminded.

Northfield, West London: Nie Rozśmieszaj Mnie!!

Quality bit of writing Strider and stunning fish from a very, very tough venue.
    Nae man can tether time or tide.
    Robert Burns 'Tam o' Shanter'

Angling Trust member 044143

Join the Thames Anglers Conservancy (T-A-C) and help fight pollution and other important angling issues related to the tidal and non-tidal Thames.

fantastic mate, look forward to hearing from you again.

strider - inspirational writing.....very good indeed.....and some cracking fish caught !
    "Rackin' Frackin' Vermit Rabbit".... YNWA...

Proper carping........none of that runs water ****
    Last edited by rhornegold; 06-12-2009 at 19:19. Reason: Bypassing auto censor

should have been working read your story instead. a great read.
    more please!!

Excellent read Strider

Proper Fishing, I was enthralled fella!

Nottingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

good stuff! far better than the drivel in carpworld.

Elite (Bronze)

Nice you aint lost your writing touch Strider, really enjoyed it.
    Hesitantly I offer this meagre offering, if its no good I'd rather you all say as it will save me finishing the story, here goes.

How I longed to gain access to this pit, 9 yrs I’d been on the waiting list then one morning there it was, an invitation to join.
    Quick, pen, envelope, stamp. The cheque was in the post ten minutes later.

Once the ticket and key had come through I was over there for a close season reccy. As the day was warm and muggy the lake appeared quite serene with its heavily wooded steeped sided banks, there were large beds of pads in the SE corner and reed lined margins, what a beautiful little place.

After several laps of this secluded little pit I saw some movement in the far NW corner so hastily but quietly made my way around there. Upon climbing a big old oak tree overhanging the margins there they were beneath me, about 15 or so fish
    twisting and turning in the gin clear water some 7 feet down, the odd one breaking away and doing a quick patrol of the reed lined margins to my left.
    A handful of these fish looked big, over 30lbs and some were commons, quite rare at the time, then from nowhere a very deep looking linear appeared directly underneath me , then turned and made its way towards the centre of the lake on its own.
    Then just along the left hand reed line coming towards me was a mirror, I couldn’t put a weight on it for I had never seen a fish as big before but its size was immense.
    I was mesmerised watching these fish and sat up that oak tree for several hours. From that moment on the lake had me hooked, god how I wanted to catch one of those fish, any would do.

I decided to miss the first week of the season but have a walk over there all the same to see how the land lies so to speak. I took the wife with me, all dolled up as I’d always found anglers to be more far responsive when you have a women in tow. It was funny as I ended up learning more in 10 minutes than I would have in 10 years had I been on my own.
    The first angler I bumped into had a video camera with him and had filmed all the captures since the start, about three fish. One of the fish on there was a fat linear and was reputedly the hardest fish to catch in the lake though not the biggest, I mentally made my mind up that this was the one I wanted.

My first session was the following weekend and upon arriving mid-day Friday there were a few vehicles in the car park but luckily for me there was still a fair choice of swims left.
    As this was my first time on the lake and not knowing much about it the car park swim or disabled as it was known (it would do me well now) gave a good vantage point for most of the water, so this was where I decided to do my first night.
    Once the gear was set up the next task was to find a couple of areas to fish to, easier said than done as after an hour of flicking a 2oz lead around, it became apparent that the swim was absolutely full of stinking black silt or rotting blanket weed. As most of my fishing had previously been done on gravel pits and this, being a clay pit was nothing like I had experienced before, I felt I was in for a steep learning curve.
    After a bit more persistence casting around I eventually found a slightly firmer area some 20yds out, just big enough to get one rod on, but accuracy was required as the spot was tiny and an overcast was necessary due to the depth being fished.
    I eventually found a spot for the other rod, a tiny clay strip some 45yds along the right hand margin around 8yds out but if someone chose to go in the swim next door I would have to move it. Nice and easy to bait though, throwing distance.
    Both spots were covered with around half a pound of tigers with a chopped tiger used on each rod for hook baits.
    Throughout Friday and Saturday nothing materialised other than I did see several fish move in the centre section of the lake, albeit very subtlety. During Saturday afternoon I decided to walk around and sit above a couple of swims on two banks waiting for another to show which eventually one did. I made a mental note of it and lined it up with a feature on the opposite bank then walked back around the other bank and proceeded to climb another tree.
    The angler situated a swim down from the tree I was now sitting up asked if I was looking at the fish that had showed in the centre to which I told him I was. His reply was that it was generally a waste of time fishing there as it was predominantly a margin water and only the small commons tend to get caught in the middle.
    The reason for this was partly due to one guy who the previous year had caught very well fishing close in and his catch rate was head and shoulders above the rest, hence the central section of the lake now being left alone.
    Now, not generally considering myself to be very adept at fishing the margins the middle of the lake was looking an attractive prospect and I felt that with a bit of hard work I could capitalise on this.

Looking out over the centre of the lake

I returned to the car park swim and after a few attempts managed to recast the rods back onto their respective spots. There wasn’t any point putting more bait out as I’d had no indication there was any fish there since my arrival.
    After cooking myself up a decent dinner I settled down for the night and eventually dozed off whilst watching the water.
    Around 6am Sunday morning there were a couple of beeps on the R/H rod , then the clutch started to go. I jumped off the chair, sleeping bag around my ankles and half hopped, half ran to the rod. On picking it up I fingered the spool to slow it down, tightened the rear drag and pulled into it, the 2lb test curve rod hooped over, definitely a carp on the end.
    I pulled it towards me but the fish kited to the right, between me and where I’d hooked it was a large reed bed running along the margin so it was a case of holding the rod at arms length and with a fair amount of side strain I started pumping the fish towards me. Some 20yds out and its right up against the reeds, the stems knocking this way and that as the fish was trying to bury itself in them, all I could fell was the horrible sensation of the line pinging off the reeds, every time feeling like the hook had pulled With my heart in my mouth I applied more pressure hoping the hook would hold, if I could keep its head facing towards me she shouldn’t be able to gain sanctuary and for a very short time she would be mine.
    A few heart stopping moments later she was swirling under the rod tip, her lunges becoming less frequent , I pushed the net out, one solid pull on the rod and she was over the cord and in. With the weighing over, I had opened my account with a nice mid twenty mirror and couldn’t wait to return the following week.

First Blood

The following week I was in a central swim which commanded a large amount of water where the fish had been showing the weekend before, only this wasn’t the weekend , it was Wednesday. I had contracted man flu, particularly bad in the summer and didn’t want to pass it onto my workmates, so here I was.
    This swim just didn’t look like a margin swim at all, it had no apparent holding areas such as overhanging trees, pads, rushes etc, ideal as hopefully it would get overlooked by most.
    After much casting around I eventually managed to find a small clay bar some 75yds out, 11ft on top in 12ft of water and about 4 ft wide with the bar actually running towards me so once located you could pull the lead along it a short way. It was as clean as a whistle, like glass and when feeling the lead down you got that satisfying donk on the rod top. As it was surrounded by dense blanket weed it was ideal and just big enough to get two rods on. I also found a clay hump about 8 ft deep some 50yds to my left and 15yds out so the swim had options. These were definitely going to be the areas that I was going to bait.
    This particular session produced no takes but over the next few weeks I continued to fish these areas and managed to take several fish from them to upper twenties.

It was around late August when I was back in this swim once again, funny enough on a Wednesday but this time I had booked leave from work, two bouts of summer man flu would be pushing it.
    I managed a 22lb mirror on Thursday morning from the 75yd clay bar and then Thursday night I had a very slow take from the same spot. This fish felt like nothing I had hooked before from this lake, there were no long powerful runs, it was just when it decided to it wanted to go somewhere, that’s where it went. It was a very still night , not a ripple on the water and so hot I slept under just the sleeping bag cover. Now due to the night being such a humid one I was sweating before I had the take but now I was playing the fish I was sweating twice as much. It took me ages before I managed to gently coax the fish anywhere near me and every time I tried to get it near the surface it just sailed towards the bottom of the 12ft deep margin, up and down like a see-saw. I thought that if it carried on doing this eventually it would tire, then on another slow but powerful surge it went towards the bottom, turned left and carried on going. The 2lb TC rod was bent double, the 11lb line felt as if it was about to break any minute and the old 55 clutch was singing away in pain. Then the hook pulled.
    I felt absolutely devastated, I’d been playing the fish for some 20 minutes and then it was just gone. I stood there trembling for a while, didn’t know what to do. I kept running over the whole fight , if I’d just done this or hadn’t done that but it makes no odds , if your names not on it then it’s not going to happen. I was convinced that I’d just lost the biggun.
    I had a cup of tea, calmed down and even nearly had to wipe my eyes.
    Eventually I cast back out and laid on the old chair unable to sleep, tossing and turning all the time as you do when such things happen but eventually I dozed off.
    The next thing I heard was a shuffling behind me , on the gravel path above the swim.
    It was another angler who had just turned up for the weekend, as I looked up he asked if I’d done any good. I pulled myself out of bed, fired the cooker up and over a brew told him of the previous night’s occurrence.
    As we were chatting we heard a one toner, he looked at my rods and both bobbins remained motionless, I’d forgotten about the one that I’d hidden at the front of the swim in the undercut margin.
    With a red face I apologised as I picked the rod up and pulled into a fish that had picked up the bait from the 8ft clay hump down to my left. The fish thankfully moved out towards the middle of the lake away from the marginal snags down to my left. Then it stopped and went solid. I looked at my new found friend and he informed me he didn’t know of any snags in that direction, so I pulled harder and once again the fish was on the move, it had obviously stopped, sat on the bottom with its fins out and sulked as they do.
    The rest of the fight was pretty uneventful, the odd lunge here and there and then it was on the top, mouth open ready for the net. It was duly netted by the other angler, who then told me his name was Clive and he was committee member. Oh no were my initial thoughts but after he smiled then winked all was well with the world again.
    With the fish just going short of thirty he remarked that at least it would in some way go towards making up for the earlier loss. He just reminded me and that gutted feeling washed over me again.

Not quite making up for it.

Today, 21:19 #55
    Riverside
    Frequent User

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just posted this little story on the Bow-Loc (net) thread... thought I'd share it here too. The hardest and funniest scrap I've ever had. Hope you like it.

I decided to do a night on my local River Rother in September 2006, as the weather was due to get a bit rough and I have had my fair share of getting battered out my 100 acre coastal pit, yet fancied doing a night. I parked up the scooby-doo and loaded my barrow and toddled approx 700 yards upstream to a nice looking spot. I slung out 4 rods and cracked open a Fosters and settled in for the night. It was as simple as that. 00:40 hours my sleep was interrupted by a screaming run, I picked up the rod and pulled into my first river carp. I had been led to believe that the Rother carp can put up a tussle, so for the first 20 mins I just held on. A further 10 mins later, I had engaged the anti reverse on my SS3000 and had my Amorphous wedged against the instep of my right foot as a knelt. I had both hands above the reel and had my 14 stone bulk leaning against the force of the carp, all the time talking out loud (with the odd swear word thrown in too). Now approx 40 minutes after the bite, I began to think about readying the net. The banks were very steep plus a drop of about 4ft to the water. My faithful Bow-Loc had been lowered into position half an hour earlier, and all of the mesh was submerged up to the spiggot. The net was almost pointing vertically down. I had the beastie ready at last and on the correct lenghth of line, my arms were like lead, but it was now time to lift the net. As I pulled the net up in the water, I pulled the spiggot out of the net section just as the fish came into range! The net sank from sight, and I burst into uncontrollable laughter, as I was now holding a handle with no net... what a clown! I proceeded to put the rod on the rests, loosening the clutch, then stripping to my boxers. I slid down into the margins and my feet sank into the soft clay. I felt with my outstretched foot in knee deep water, the net wasn't where it detatched from the handle! I started feeling downsteam, and fortunately a few yards downsteam my toes felt the satisfying caress of the soft mesh. I sloshed back up to the handle and slid the handle firmly into the top section. Cool as a cucumber, I even pulled the mesh into the clip. I picked up the rod, the carp had gone upsteam a little way, but not too far, and soon afterwards I made my second attempt. As the fish came into range, I waited for the head to hit the spreader, and lifted the mesh to engulf my prize. As I heaved up the net, the cord was lifting on the wrist of the carp and the tail was still hanging on the other side! I quickly lowered the mesh and raised the handle at a steep angle and slid it up the fish to shuffle him in. Phew! It was only then that I was fully aware of what had been on the other end. It was mahoosive (for a river that is) and I began to scream out loud. I hauled the fish up the bank, which due the adrenalin wasn't difficult and placed him on the mat. Bursting with excitement, I started dancing and punching the air, laughing uncontrollably the whole time. 36lb of pure muscle... like I said, a scrap I will never forget!

Laters JP (who needs mags, thanks Strider + OG )

Keep it coming OG, cracking read.
    Cornish Ben, King of the Pasties

that's a great read OG

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Mullet View Post
    Dear Mr Magazine Editor,

THIS is what we all want to read!

Superb, atmospheric stuff; looking forward to the next installment
    Totally agree with the above!

I hope that I'm not alone in prefering stories like Strider's to the normal crap in the mags (not that I buy any!)

I only wish I had the 80,000 to invest in your original idea.........

How many stories like this would it need to make a book? (Or is that what Gaz Fareham is sorting out?!?!)

Anyway........I enjoyed it!

I hope you get the sponsorship from Fox / Korda etc that you so deserve :sarcastic icon: