Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: random carpy stories

nice read steve, sound's like you thoroughly enjoyed your 'pilgrimage'

Waited to read this when you'd posted up all three bits, hate suspense!

Lovely bit of writing makes me want to go there even more, as parents live quite close by should have made the effort years ago.

The clay around there is amazing you can walk across fields when it's wet and get to a point where your boots are so caked it looks like your wearing giant bricks on your feet, then in the summer it'll bake as hard as concrete. Fantastically rich though which explains with all the run off why the carp got so big, it would support a supernatural amount of natural carp food. Snail flavoured boilies anyone?

That stretch of the wye by the anchor looks great didn't realise you could fish it so easily, every time i've driven over the bridge i've thought chub and barbel.

Have you got any plans to go back?

Elite (Bronze)

Very good Steve, enjoyed it. Pretty magical experience I reckon.

Northfield, West London: Nie Rozśmieszaj Mnie!!

Cracking read Steve. Liked the piece about your 'Evening Pitch' experiences. Spooky stuff!!
    Nae man can tether time or tide.
    Robert Burns 'Tam o' Shanter'

Angling Trust member 044143

Join the Thames Anglers Conservancy (T-A-C) and help fight pollution and other important angling issues related to the tidal and non-tidal Thames.

Thanks Guys,

Tim and Mark not so much in your field of write ups on this thread but nice to mix it up. You 2 have supplied some fantastic catches past and present and relayed the stories very well and captivate many

Karmalite, Yes I will be going back, I would like to see the Pool in its summer/autumn glory. Plus I'd like a fish from there, I don't want to be a member of the Pitchfords club for too long
    One Eye on the lake, the other's dead!

Platinum
    Where ever I lay my traps, that\'s my home.

Brilliant Steve, and also OG, Strider and Riverside.

Karmalite - Cracking story.

Frequent User

Thumbs up

very enjoyable read. As you say, fishing isn't just about catching fish.

Elite (Bronze)

Blimey Steve I thought you could only just about write your name, I'm impressed
    Any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming

Quote Originally Posted by G_Dell View Post
    Blimey Steve I thought you could only just about write your name, I'm impressed
    Lol, think i'll take a dictaphone next time, thanks mate.

Might do one on Horton around march, got the bug now
    One Eye on the lake, the other's dead!

You mean you've got the bug for writing about not catching anything
    Any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming

Quote Originally Posted by G_Dell View Post
    You mean you've got the bug for writing about not catching anything
    I reckon i could be pretty good at that too

Beginner Member

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post

I stood there mesmerised !
    a rare moment

Elite (Bronze)

Default In for a penny in for a pound.

Go easy on me lads this is an effort I penned from about twelve years ago when fish sizes weren’t what they are today, some of the names have been changed to protect innocent!

In for a penny in for a pound.

As usual the mad rush to get down the lake after work always started at ten to five when I'd slowly tidy my desk close down the PC and watch the door ready for the off. With it being nearly five o’clock I think sod it that's good enough for me and I'm off like a shot. Soon I am screaming down the country lanes I have to drive along to get home, honestly never going over the speed limit once officer! In the front door, kick the wife, kiss the cat, change into my greens, grab some food (crisps and biscuits), bait (ssshhhh top secret) my tackle (all top brands, trust me) liquids (beer, milk, water) baccy tin (cough cough) and head to the lake, having run back indoors at least twice to grab stuff I’d forgotten like we all do! As usual the other Herbert’s that would be doing the night were hanging around having a chat.
    I pulled into the old gravel works car park and bump into Mad Davey Gravy and The Old Rocker. First question as always is 'What have you seen'? 'Fish everywhere up here' was there reply in unison. With The Old Rocker not doing the night I turned to Mad Davey Gravy 'So where'd you fancy' I asked him. “Either in here on the old gravel workings or the one next door' he said. 'Yeah I was thinking the same before I even got down here' I answered hopeful he’d take the hint. 'Well I ain't made up my mind yet plus all the boats are out so I'll leave it a while' Mad Davey Gravy replied.
    With that I started setting up the rods with new rigs and leads (top brands of course), whilst chatting with the others. Mad Davey Gravy wander's off and comes back saying the swim one down from the Wolf Swim on the Irish Bank looked a good bet as well. So he's now very undecided where he’d fish for the night, some would say driving himself mad or even madder!
    As time was getting on I announce it's time I wanted to get my baits out, so asked where Mad Davey Gravy really fancied fishing. He could see I was eager to get the rods out and was pushing him for an answer. Being the pits self proclaimed top rod, he used all his water craft and angling knowledge to make a decision where he should fish that evening.
    'Ip, dip dog sh*t you are not it o.u.t. spells out and out you must go' or maybe it was 'eany meany miny mo catch a tiger by the toe' I can’t remember now. “Bloody brilliant” if choosing a swim was this easy I'd be doing all the time I thought. Anyway with this fool proof method Mad Davey Gravy grabbed his tackle (oh er missus) and headed of down the Irish bank.
    Sometimes when we make our own bait not all the boillies come out perfect and you always get a couple at each end of the sausage that go really wrong, these I usually hand roll into some right old big donkey chokers about 44mm! So I thought sod it in for a penny in for a pound I pulled one of these donkey chokers out the bag and put it on the hair.
    By now it’s around half eight and the boats are going in and the Sailing club was closing down for the night, it was now safe to cast both rods out.
    A short underarm chuck with the donkey choker rod to the right of the swim about 20 yards to an over hanging tree was followed by 25-30 freebies and at last I'm fishing (it's only taken me 3 hours to get a bait in the water). The left hand rod again was a short chuck to the left into a clear spot amongst the weed and this again was followed by 25-30 freebies. Being a big pit a few eyebrows were raised at the short distance of my cast’s, with the regulars often casting and catching at 120 yards plus, I’d show em the way I thought!
    As it was a nice night there was no need for a bivvie just the bed next to the rods. Time to relax get the radio on and open a can of golden neck charmer. Facing the setting sun the sky had started to take on the lovely colours it does, the bird were singing, the smoke was good and I think there may have even been a decent song on the radio for a change, bliss.
    Around nine fifteen the right hand rod screams into life, I'm on the rod in a flash (no mean feat for a big lad like me!) and lean into my yet unseen quarry. This was a lump and the rod was taking on a lovely bend.
    Big Bro was on the Waterways Bank saw what was going on and reels in to come round and offer any help that was needed. Mad Davey Gravy as usual was asleep and took quite awhile to arrive moaning as he always did when someone else caught (selfish git!). Big Bro had already mentioned I may have stepped in something this week (after my 21lb capture two days ago from another of our clubs water) and I think the fish knew this as well.
    Some really nasty snags lay just to the right of where my baits were placed and this fish was being very very understanding. She decided to swim straight into open water missing all the weed beds, lilies, branches, mini coopers, and started plodding around in a deep clear channel just in front of me. A short lively scrap took place but soon she was in the net and mine, oh yes happy days indeed. On the mat this fish looked huge and as soon as Big Bro saw it he informed me that it was a fish known as 'Big Paddle' and it was one of the few remaining originals.
    On the scales she went 24lb and ounces small by today’s standards but what made it that little bit more special was this fish was stocked in 1963, through and through British and older than me.
    You could tell this fish was a right old warrior, a big black shoulder, a scattering of scales that ran either side of the dorsal, three large scales on the wrist, and that tail true to it’s name was huge and virtually black, a lovely big belly, deep red down by the anal fin, and pale gut, deep orange fins, and a big gob that easily accommodated my 44mm donkey choker, a classic looking carp if every I’d seen one!
    The perfectly proportion frame made this a fish very much desired by the membership and I had just caught it, oh yes I did a jig or two! Smiling like a Cheshire cat I held her aloft for some pics, no moody stare at the head shots here, just one happy carper and he’s catch. The picture show’s this as everyone comments that I look “over the moon” to bloody true! She took a while to go back, but back she went to fight another day.
    Big Bro went back to the Waterways Bank after much back slapping, a couple of smokes (cough cough) and of course a brew (or two, or three).
    Mad Davey Gravy scurried back to the Irish bank muttering under he’s breath about how unfair it was someone else had caught!
    Me I just sat there with that big smile and that fuzzy feeling you get after you’ve had a fish, I kept thinking of those famous words from the A Team “I love it when a plan comes together”!
    Mad Davey Gravy had Big Paddle couple of weeks later so that stopped him moaning, albeit from an out of bounds area so we won’t mention that or it’ll tip him over the edge!
    I still fish the big pit occasionally, it’s got a lot harder, but the rewards are there for those who put in the effort. I still winkle out the odd good un’ as well, but it’s the lads I fish with that make it a bit more special than anywhere else I’ve dangled.
    When the fishing’s hard I still dig out a donkey choker now and then just for old time sakes, but to this day Big Paddle is the only fish I’ve ever had on 44mm bait, but hey in for a penny in for pound eh?

nice one BAITY, the sheer enjoyment SHINES through !

come on lads it's cold out there, let's have some warming tales.

A mate of mine is gathering some storys from friends about particular fish in a local pit for his website. He asked me to do one about a particular fish. Its only a short account of the capture but hope you enjoy it.

''It was one of the hottest days of the hottest summer that England had seen in decades. The Carp had finished their spawning ritual for the second time some weeks previously. The lake, as it always was when the fish weights and water level were low, was desserted. I had popped down the lake with the intention of nothing more than a look round. Such was the heat, expectation for anything other than that was low. However the floater rod, net, mat and a bag of mixers were slung in the car just in case. Unsurprisingly the fish were easy to find. There was group of fish around 15-20 in number milling around a series of weed beds in the swim closest to the car park. Despite the blistering heat the fish were active and looked well up for a floater or two. Conditions were far from perfect but a very slight breeze allowed me to drift a pouchfull of mixers over them. I stood in disbelief as the fish immediately began to gulp them down. Two more pouchfulls followed then i hurriedly set about getting the rod sorted. It seemed to take forever with trembling fingers all the time having to stop and fire out more feed. As is always the case by the time the rod was ready to go the conditions had changed with the breeze increasing in strength. The fish were now following the drifting mixers down the lake with me in hot pursuit. Frustration grew as a take failed to materialise despite the fish still feeding confidently three swims further down the lake from where they started. I felt like a complete noddy and was glad no one was about to witness my incompetence. I could only put it down to the fish sussing the imitation dog biscuit i was using as a hookbait. Gradually the fish began to lose interest and drift away. I was beginning to lose hope when i saw a disturbance in the weed up in the swim i had started in. I ran back to find a solitary big fish slurping down the now very swollen mixers that had been held up there by the weed. Out went the controller beyond the weed and then ever so slowly inched back into the path of the fish finally nestling perfectly against the edge. Confidence was now through the roof again as the hookbait now matched perfectly with the pale swollen freebies and the line was hidden away nicely over the top of the weed. Within a minute the big set of lips appeared again only this time it was going straight for the hookbait. As if in slow motion she engulfed the bait, sunk down and turned away from me with float following behind her. I swept the rod up high and fast to get the line off the surface as the water exploded with the fish boring into the nearest weed bed. The fight from then on was uneventful with the fish under gradual pressure just being led towards the net. The actual netting was the hardest part due to the sheer amount of weed aound the fish but eventually it was bundled in. I collapsed in a sweaty mess at the front of the swim and called my mate who was already on his way down. Minutes late he was through the gate and by my side straining for a look over my shoulder into the net. Together we heaved the mass of weed and fish up onto the mat. The weed began to fly as the two of us ripped at it like mad men. The scaley flanks of a large mirror started to become visible and once all the weed was removed what remained was the most prehistoric linear i have ever seen. It was stupidly long and muscular, sporting beautiful chestnut brown colours. Up on the scales she went and turned them round to 33lb 4oz. Obviously she was much lighter than she had been a month or so earlier but do you think i cared? You bet your arse i didnt!''

shes a cracker jon boy

Northfield, West London: Nie Rozśmieszaj Mnie!!

Cracking short story and that kipper is a bit special mate.
    Nae man can tether time or tide.
    Robert Burns 'Tam o' Shanter'

Angling Trust member 044143

Join the Thames Anglers Conservancy (T-A-C) and help fight pollution and other important angling issues related to the tidal and non-tidal Thames.

stunner

Default New Beginnings.....

Not quite up there with the likes of OG'd and Striders etc but for what its worth here's a little tale from me....

Was sat indoors one day flicking through some old books hoping to get that "buzz" as I needed a new water to tackle. Fishing had been a bit here and there over the last couple of years with job commitments and I was desperate to search out a new adventure. A good mate of mine Skizz had been having a dabble over at a real history water that contained some real jewel’s and suggested I picked up Maylins book and have a read about this old Kent water.

Being a Kent boy myself I had read it many times but never felt the urge to get over there and have a crack.....until now.

If I remember rightly it was a very cold January morning when I got the call....
    "Boyley its Skizz..... What you up to?"
    "Cor deary me mate it's a bit early for all that aint it?" was my reply
    "You read that chapter yet?"
    "Yeah, why?"
    "Fancy a walk round...?"

Well Skizz seemed to be asking all the right questions as it was just what I was in need of. Kettle on and digging out the Skeetex and a warm coat was the order of the morning.

Walking up to the shed I could see the grass was frosty and white and shining in the bright winter sun, the sort of bright white that needed a pair of old school eyeball protectors to look at it.... the air so cold only short breaths would allow me to breath without coughing. Once at the shed I took a look at the pond, the ice must have been an inch thick!! The koi were at the bottom with a face only a mum could love looking up as if to say "you bar**** why couldn't you have doubled the depth!”

Seemed like a waste of time for a walk around a lake with the weather how it was but you know what its like when you just have to go no matter what.

Belly all warmed up and I all wrapped up I was in the motor in no time and whizzing my way down the M20 to explore pastures new. The talk in the car was all things carpy as you can imagine. Skizz had been lucky enough to bag a couple the previous season but there was sooooo many more to go at.

Now there wasn't a forty in this lake but for the last few years everyone was hoping the big one may just do it. For me it wasn't about the size as these old warriors were some of the oldest swimming about and one or two seemed to be going each year so this was going to my year to capture a little piece of that history for myself.

As we pulled up at the gate I could see the big pit to the left was frozen over and there wasn't an angler in site. This lake was a tough old water. The big girl rarely making an appearance and some questioning if it was still there or not. I won't go into to much about this water but it was one id be having a crack at some other time but for now the smaller lake at the bottom of the track was where I wanted to be.

"Cor it don't half look good Skizz even in these conditions don't it"
    "Told you boy" It's all about the fish under that ice though mate... that's where it's at"

It didn't half look good I tell ya. Sat in one swim it was the one that stood out in Maylins book pictured with FOUR rods out!! Oh the good old days aye... haha.

The early morning winter sun had just started to break through and the mist was covering the icy layer like a huge ghost as though it was there protecting the old residents below. Well it didn’t have me scared as I new id be back in no time as soon as the ice had gone. Up the other end was one angler fishing in a small part of the lake where the big icy sheet had not quite managed to be able to protect any fish that was brave enough to be sat in the depths here. "Cor some of these boys are keen aint they Skizz" I said.... "So would you be mate if you'd been lucky enough to witness one of these old warriors on the bank".

The angler in question was a lovely fella called Scott (Brother Scott as I now know him). So cold was it that he was all crimson in he's cheeks, staring at he's kettle just counting the seconds until it had reached boiling point. After a pleasant chat we we're soon on our way round to check out the rest of the swims.

We'd been here about two hours now and I couldn't feel my hands or toes but the smile was still planted on my face from the when id first pulled up, although now it wasn't out of choice. It was still there but more to the fact that the cold wind had come into play. Oh I wished id listen when I was young and my mum used to say "you shouldn’t pull faces like that in the wind Mark because you won't be able to get rid of it"...... get rid was the last thing on my mind I tell ya.

"Well Boyley what did you think?"
    "As soon as that ice is gone mate im back!"

Well I didn't manage to get back until early March and it wasn't a bad thing as this water really does shut shop in the winter and nothing had been out. It really did look glorious and there were only two guys on, one being Brother Scott and another fella who I didn't know. Scott was in the same swim he was in the last time I was down and to be honest I didn't fancy that end much so was happy to not see a soul up our end. The weather was still poxy, freezing infact and it was blowing right into where I wanted to fish. Not a problem as that was going to keep the old golden throat charmer icy cold that’s for sure. I know what your thinking but a Stella in the morning warms the old ****les for some even in the winter... ;0)

I was all set up in a swim known as the "Moped" and providing no one else popped in I could control a good amount of water from here. Skizz was set up in "Middle Road" to my right so we pretty much had this end covered. Now in winter id always done pretty well on Zigs and I wasn't expecting anything so I thought id bang them out and see how we go....

Bucket lid behind me - CHECK
    Marker in the distance - CHECK
    Smile still on face - CHECK

And out she goes........ I remember hearing my 2oz weight whistling through that frosty air for the very first time. "Plop".........."donk". Fishing one rod. I didn't want to take the rod out of my hand at the time for fear that should I be so lucky to get a take id be on it. Wishful thoughts but hey im allowed to dream aren’t I?

All three rods out and I was sitting back in my bed chair looking at that chilled can of Stella thinking should I or shouldn’t I? A tea right now surely had to be the best options as I couldn’t feel my fingers! Skizz came walking into my swim the minute he spotted the steam pumping from the bivvie door like a steam train on steroids. Holding that cup in my hand I was sure id made the right choice as the feeling slowly came back into my fingers.

A long while had passed, just sitting there looking out onto the water drinking plenty of tea trying to figure out where they might be holding up, wondering if id made the right swim choice as the only two other angler fishing that were regulars were up the other end.

Nighttime was quickly upon us and I couldn’t see much point in staying up too long as we hadn't seen a bleedin thing all day long and the old bag was calling. Anyone that’s had a curry from the "Dhaka" will know we we're more than spoilt that evening for food, so with our bellies full of tea and a hot chicken tikka pathia it surely had to be time to get the nut down until the morning.

I remember dozing off thinking about those old carp.... had they heard my leads hit the water...... we're they grouped up laughing there gills off at us in the cold trying to tempt one out? These we're wiley old carp and over the years they had seen some of the countries finest and every trick in the book had been thrown at them. What chance did I stand? None was the honest answer....................... Well so you'd have thought right?

BEEP.........BEEP, BEEP

Up like a shot I looked at the middle rod and the bobbin was where it was when id dozed off. A liner I thought. Just as I was about to get the head back down.......BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

The buzzer was nearly chocking itself to death with the bobbing charging at it like a bull to a red cape. Should have seen the state of me tumbling down the bank to get the rod!! Socks on and only in thermals standing holding on for dear life whilst the spool of my tournie was fizzing so quickly my hands were warming up (well maybe not that quick... lol). Finally the fish calmed down and id relaxed enough to put into practice everything I learnt over the years to try not to loose it. "SKIZZ GET UP!! IM IN!!!!!” I still couldn’t quite believe I was playing a fish that I was only dreaming about a few minutes before. With every shake of its head my heart skipped a beat and I could feel the lead knocking about. "Bloody lead aint come off Skizz!!" I'd forgotten to trim the lead clip back... what a Noddy I thought. After the first initial run run the fish didn't cause me too many problem form here on in and in no time was Skizz was at the ready with the net slipping it over the net cord. As Skizz went down with the net he got a big "GET IT...... GET IT!!!" from me right in he's frosty ear hole.

At this time it was around 5am and the light wasn't up enough to see just which one it was id been lucky enough to have on the end of my rod.

"What one??!!! What one???!!!!"

"It's a scaley mate that’s for sure.... it looks like the scaley mirror"

To say I was chuffed is an understatement. How lucky was I to bag one on the first night? After id got the bits and pieces together and got some warm clothes on the pics were done. Luckily enough the light was with us. The weight was irrelevant. I'll let the look on my face do the rest of the talking.......