Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigs for Worms?

Elite (Gold)
    The Carp Mecca that is also known as Shropshire

Default Rigs for Worms?

I've been having a play with Dendro's as hookbaits with reasonable success by simply hair rigging half a worm, but feel I could achieve a better presentation. I've been thinking about using a cork ball with chopped worm glued on, Medussa stylie?

So, has anyone used them to good effect before and found a particular way of presenting them successfully?

Regards, Shrop

How I long to be a worm in Shropshire!

Try the large Korda maggot clips and tip with fake maggot to secure further
    One Eye on the lake, the other's dead!Hidden Content

Elite (Bronze) spillerthecarper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shrop View Post
    I've been having a play with Dendro's as hookbaits with reasonable success by simply hair rigging half a worm, but feel I could achieve a better presentation. I've been thinking about using a cork ball with chopped worm glued on, Medussa stylie?

So, has anyone used them to good effect before and found a particular way of presenting them successfully?

Regards, Shrop
    Have a look at this months Carpworld. There is a very interesting article about the use of worms by Frank Warwick and John Banister.

Also in the article it states the following:

"Always use lobworms, as seven out of ten strains of dendrobeaena worm excrete a poisonous mucus, which fish and animals alike steer clear of."

Elite (Silver)

You sure you havent just read carpworld and posted on here with the inspiration?

Along with the new nash brolley you saw in the Johnson ross catalogue that accompanied it?

Elite (Gold)

I got the Johnson Ross catalogue from this months ACF and have yet to purchase this months issue of CW as I was unaware that it was out yet.

But thank you Adam, I'll have to venture out to WHSmith's tomorrow and have a look! Cheers!!

Elite (Gold)

Quote Originally Posted by spillerthecarper View Post
    Also in the article it states the following:

"Always use lobworms, as seven out of ten strains of dendrobeaena worm excrete a poisonous mucus, which fish and animals alike steer clear of."
    I was led to believe that worms were stuffed full of amino acids, which carp, along with many other species of fish absolutely adore?!

I got the Johnson Ross catalogue from this months ACF and have yet to purchase this months issue of CW as I was unaware that it was out yet.

But thank you Adam, I'll have to venture out to WHSmith's tomorrow and have a look! Cheers!!
    I've got a subscription so get it early so not sure if its out in the shops yet. It is though a great article to read and i shall be giving the worm a go on one of my syndicates.

Its out now, yet to read the article but looks informative.

Stop press......................Frank Warwick descovers unbelievable carp bait...............WORMS.
    In an access all areas interview he reveals all and shows us how to hook them Truely groundbreaking.

Who'd have thought worms would catch carp eh, next there will be some magazine expert telling me that maggots are a good bait too, nah thats just ridiculous.

Stick a worm on a big hook Shrop, you dont HAVE to use a hair rig just because your carp fishing.

try this worked well for me take normal 8 inch soft braid hooklink cut big fat lob to suit lenght of hair thread on, tip with small black rig foam and thread the other bit of lob under the hook and push it up,so basicaly u end up with a bit of worm along the lakebed with the last inch hinged up like a cobra

Regards, Shrop
    If you had success stay with it ! dont change it
    i also agree with "carp unit"

Quote Originally Posted by carp unit View Post
    Stop press......................Frank Warwick descovers unbelievable carp bait...............WORMS.
    In an access all areas interview he reveals all and shows us how to hook them Truely groundbreaking.

Who'd have thought worms would catch carp eh, next there will be some magazine expert telling me that maggots are a good bait too, nah thats just ridiculous.

Stick a worm on a big hook Shrop, you dont HAVE to use a hair rig just because your carp fishing.
    Bit of an over reaction if i say so myself.

Have you read the article yourself? Cause the article shows the preferred method, the kebab worm rig, and how they both like to fish it. Neither claim its a new carp bait, but they make the point of it being heavily unused which it is. They also talk about how effective it can really be if used in the right circumstances.

Site Regular

instead of messing about with cork / foam ect hair rig the worm or hook it then inject half the worm with air to keep it from burrying itself in the silt / chod.
    i normally use a size 6 with a fake maggot threaded on the eye of the hook then the worm and another fake maggot on the hair , its similar to the magaligner ,
    i call it the "THE WORMINATOR"

Have you read the article yourself?

Yeah of coarse i have mate, i never miss a Frank Warwick article, they're solid gold
    I mostly love the "look at me wang a method ball 200 yards so i can catch a pasty" articles. If he's talking about using worms i'd wager there are rubber worms about to hit the shelves from enterprise tackle.

Elite (Gold)

Bit of an over reaction if i say so myself.

Have you read the article yourself? Cause the article shows the preferred method, the kebab worm rig, and how they both like to fish it. Neither claim its a new carp bait, but they make the point of it being heavily unused which it is. They also talk about how effective it can really be if used in the right circumstances.
    Just another dig at me Adam, I've learnt to live with it! I'm not as stupid as some may believe! (oh my god! stop press!) I've been tying some rigs up with a ring whipped onto the shank which will allow a big bunch of worms to be tied on with bait floss as well as toying around with the idea of the, 'worm-kebab,' that just sounds awesome! I have some doubts about the effectiveness of the rig and the possibility of the hook blunting with a big bunch of worms wriggling around and doing all sorts of havoc with the presentation of the rig?! Tin hat on; dink, dink!

think spiller was refering to cccccccarp-unit rather than your post shrop-an-oster.
    Complete and utter blanker.

'knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting a tomato in a fruit salad'. B O'Driscol.

Elite (Gold)

Surly anyone who isn't an instant will have fished with worms before? And heaven forbid should anyone have the intelligence to chop a worm up.

I think Carp Units description of the article was pretty much bang on wether he had read it or not..... and I have.

Shrop - I used to use Lobs for perch fishing, but always used dendrobeaenas for bream and tench fishing, a nice big bunch of them with hte tips chopped off.

I used to novel method of hooking them straight on to the hook. With Lobs I used to put a tiny piece of laccy band on the hook afterwards to stop it coming off.

I get enough stress form catching bream nad tench whilst carping without roach, perch and every other species under the sun interupting my sleep on work night over nighters hence I am not currently using them.
    If it's not 150 yards it's not MUNGA Hidden Content

under a float in the edge.
    singysblog.wordpress.com