PDA

View Full Version : Boilies only or spod mix

Bobby D
22-04-2008, 11:36
When fishing would you prefer to fish over a scattered bed of boilies or a spod mix???

danh4155
23-04-2008, 10:15
spod mix

mark boyle
23-04-2008, 10:19
toughie mate.... i nice little bag of broken and whole boilies sent out with your hook bait can be devestating on some waters and on other a great spod mix will do the business. i do love a big old mix with just about anything you can get your hands on though. it's just seems right dont it. so spod mix for me!

Danny'91
23-04-2008, 10:22
depends on time of year for me

winter - just boilies

summer/spring - spodmix, with lots of different sized particles, hemp tigers , chicks, etc etc.

if i could only use one of them all year round, (which seems to be a common question to ask on this forum lol ) itd be the spodmix. but thankfully i have a choice lol so spodmix. but as above it depends on time of year for me

Bobby D
23-04-2008, 10:27
Do you catch more fish in winter on boilies then dan ?? :p

Danny'91
23-04-2008, 10:28
have done in the past, not big as you know but still more than when using particles only

wates
23-04-2008, 11:03
Real fishing - Boilies only
Pastie bashing for a bit of fun - spod out a load of bits and bobs

mark boyle
23-04-2008, 11:08

haha i was waiting for that! i nearly said it but wanted to be honest with myself. ;)

Blonde_Tim
23-04-2008, 11:14

dont know if this was a joke, but its the same way i fish.................

Boxy
23-04-2008, 11:15
Spring has to be boiles only and lots of them..........
Leave the particles til the summer

wates
23-04-2008, 11:19
dont know if this was a joke, but its the same way i fish.................

No joke, theres just too many bream and tench in my main waters to use all them bits and bobs
The people that do don't catch any more carp, but are up and down all night dealing with snotties etc
Not my idea of a good session

Blonde_Tim
23-04-2008, 11:21
exactly the same, cant be doing with 5 bream per night then work the next day.

wates
23-04-2008, 11:24
I just can't be doing with bream

Medway
23-04-2008, 11:40
Plus your not awake long enough between getting out your pit and going to the pub to do all that spodding lark. :)

thepoise_1
23-04-2008, 15:54
I just can't be doing with bream

Had this at Chertsey big time.. Thought to myself 'Yeah so I'll put more bait out and fish through the bream!!'
Put more bait out and ended up taking my rods out of the water for a couple of hours kip. Soon changed to fishing 90 odd % boilies with other bits thrown in. Hey presto, things started to go good.

So clearly, if you have lots of 'Nuisance' species (ones your not after), IMO a boilie only approach will be better than particles.

However, I feel that particle applied Correctly (which is the key bit) can be effective at any time of the year. Ive caught severaly decent winter fish on a small handfull of hemp, pellets, corn and broken boilie. Also look at how 'Uncle Jim' managed to bag two-tone...Over 25k of partiblend.

If I had to choose one for occassion though it would be the ever faithful boilie because once you get carp on them its difficult to stop them and they will also maintain healthy weights due to the high quality food (hopefully) your feeding them as opposed to the rapid weight gains and losses that arise when they gorge on particals.
Ive written much and wont go into the reasons why a boilie will perform better for longer than particals as it has been covered to death.

I will end by saying though, I assume when you say 'spod mix' you mean particle which is why that was the focus of my reply. If not I prefer a spod mix containing different size boilies..I.E Im 'spodding' out a 'mix' of boilies

Mr_Bump
23-04-2008, 16:13
Currently boilies only, spodded.

Everyone and their uncle on the lake is using spod mix of some description, so Im not.

Boxy
23-04-2008, 17:02
Currently boilies only, spodded.

Everyone and their uncle on the lake is using spod mix of some description, so Im not.

Exactly, just out of interest do you have problems with them not emptying out the spod? I have to use mine as chops otherwise I struggle a bit.

Mr_Bump
23-04-2008, 17:36
With smaller boilies I do get the odd problem when spodding. Occasionally it leaves about a quarter left in the bottom.

It doesnt bother me too much but on occasion I have put a few disovable nuggets in the spod to stop them getting wedged in :)

Russyp
23-04-2008, 17:49
Boilies all the way leave the spodding till summer:clap:

thepoise_1
23-04-2008, 18:39
Exactly, just out of interest do you have problems with them not emptying out the spod? I have to use mine as chops otherwise I struggle a bit.

Only fill it just over half... and aim your tip slightly higher than normal feathering the rod down (do not use the clip). Put enough power into cast to go way beyond marker etc and feather when in position. If anything this will aid presentation as boilies will be scattered nicely.

Or as bump says (if you want a tight little pile in a clear patch for instance) use PVA nuggets in the end.

Hippy
23-04-2008, 19:53
Every article I read about spodding talks about not being predictable and using 50 boilies around the hook bait, but then every time I fish I see loads of people spodding, and few fishing over boilies only.
Personally, I prefer to fish over a scatter of boilies, with maybe a little hemp (and I mean little - enough to loosen them in the spod, or a plamful scattered over a wide area from my boat. It seems to sort out the better fish for me - though I seem to catch fewer fish than some, I've always done well on average size! Pellets and hemp etc are reserved for runs waters or clearing area off weed/silt.

LIP
23-04-2008, 20:51
boilies spring summer autumn spodded,pigeon conditioner baited spodded spots winter,works a treat for moi

Boxy
24-04-2008, 09:44
Only fill it just over half... and aim your tip slightly higher than normal feathering the rod down (do not use the clip). Put enough power into cast to go way beyond marker etc and feather when in position. If anything this will aid presentation as boilies will be scattered nicely.

Or as bump says (if you want a tight little pile in a clear patch for instance) use PVA nuggets in the end.

Cheers fella, and Mr B :thumbs:

Dingle
24-04-2008, 16:31
What season are we in Spring or Summer? Just so I know whether to spodmix or boilie.

:confused:

Bobby D
03-05-2008, 10:41
I just like to say, thanks to all the guys who posted on this thread because after reading ur comments iv changed the way iv baited up and have done really well on a hard water by putting some lumps on the bank in the first 2 months of me joinning my new water!
Thanks guys

:thumbs:

bullasboss
03-05-2008, 10:49
well done bobby d :thumbs:
hope you get many more in the future.

CallumB
03-05-2008, 11:11
:brick: how do u expect us 2 answer that question.. it depends intirely on the lake and sitiuation mate