PDA

View Full Version : Lilly fisheries cowlands lake!

carp.crazy
09-03-2008, 14:39
I am looking for a water for this up comming season thats not to far and has a good head of fish to go at and this lake seems to fit the bill, although a little expensive at nearly 300 it looks good.
I have searched this site for info but nothing has been said since 2005 and they have re-stocked it since then, so am just wondering your views on what its like/how its run etc.
Thanks

gingerbloke
09-03-2008, 18:17
obviously not that well run if they havent updated their site in 3 years! they have got lovely looking stock fish in there, real nice scaly fat mirrors.

carp.crazy
09-03-2008, 19:15
sorry i ment this (cemex) site not the lilly fisheries one,
the lilly fisheries site is quite up to date and has pic's and videos of the lake and the fish, i was just wondering if anyone on here had fished it?

original_geezer
09-03-2008, 21:21
I wrote a 3 page feature on Lilyfisheries in Carp Talk last month all the info was in there Cowlands is a good lake to get on

carp.crazy
09-03-2008, 21:33
Sorry dont have that one, all i know is its got a good head of nice lookiing fish with a few very fast growing simmo's in, ive seen it on google earth and its a sort of 'L' shapped lake and it has a small circular island at one end, a few shallower patches close in and some overhanging tree's.
I dont know how hard the water is, how busy it gets, any probs such as heavy weed in the summer etc.

Any helpfull comments about this lake would be great.

Cheers

Hitchy
10-03-2008, 13:21
Hi mate,

As Gezz said very much a water worth joing for the 300 notes.

Your best bet would be to contact Steve hayes (bunter) his details should be on the lilly site. Hes a top bloke and will answer any questions you may have. And take it from me Steve wont tell you anything but how it is.

Stock wise you have the Simmo's you mentioned, a few walthamstow fish and the mirrors that Lilly partner that are on there website, nice scalley and liner type fish.

I know a few blokes that do and have fished there, its out the way nice and quite. Tends to be quite but can be a bit busier in the warmer months that you would expect, it does also do them in the winter and the chances are you will have it to yourslef or share with a couple of regs.

Is one of the more mature lakes that Lilly offer, speak to Steve mate he wont put you wrong.

Joe

carp.crazy
10-03-2008, 20:03
Have just recieved a PM saying that it can get a bit of a joke regarding the angling pressure as it gets very busy at times, i am looking for a more quiet venue are any of there other lakes better suited?Hasse fen etc?
Or any other syndicates close to bishops stortford??
Cheers

Stumbles
11-03-2008, 09:33
Have just recieved a PM saying that it can get a bit of a joke regarding the angling pressure as it gets very busy at times, i am looking for a more quiet venue are any of there other lakes better suited?Hasse fen etc?
Cheers

You sure your looking at Cowlands i have a feeling your not.
If it has the A120 running right next to it then it isn't Cowlands.
When i walked round Cowlands i don't remember a island at all but my memory could be failing me.

littleian
11-03-2008, 09:51
Cheers

Mate dont believe what people tell you about some places is best to find out for yourself. Speak to steve, have a walk around to see the place.. He has also got an photo album full of pukka fish. He only has up to 30 members inc bailiffs. If you fish mid week expect the place to yourself, weekends you will see others. Hope this helps mate a great place and some nice 30's to be had.

Bassy
11-03-2008, 09:57
I'm fishing the Amwell syndicate on Cemex which is only in Stansted Abbotts. Its only been my first season and admittedly I didn't do too much fishing this year but i did notice that lake 2 gets rather busy. However a stocking program has been in place in lake and its definately looking good for the future. Check out the syndicate forum for info on that. Lake one can be virtually empty a lot of the time with some very nice fish to go at.

There is the club lake in Sawbridgeworth that I have mainly been fishing the last couple of years. A nice venue that will get you thinking (Days only and the fish know it) But the powers that be decided to stock 700 small carp in it on top of what was already in there. I've not fished it since then but theres been reports of a 28 coming out recently and others. There certainly in there and its a nice quiet water. Cheap too but big baits will be a must. If you need any info feel free to pm me.

carp.crazy
11-03-2008, 18:18
You sure your looking at Cowlands i have a feeling your not.
If it has the A120 running right next to it then it isn't Cowlands.
When i walked round Cowlands i don't remember a island at all but my memory could be failing me.

Yeh i followed the link from the website, its only a tiny circular island right down the far end of the lake.

I have spoke to steve and he seem's a good bloke and has invited me to have a look round when i want to get a feel for the place, he told me there are now around 40 members on the lake.

Does any one know roughly how many swims there are on the lake?

scottydog
12-03-2008, 08:05
10 mate i think(from the carptalk piece) - was going to have a look myself

carp.crazy
12-03-2008, 18:06
O right, 40 members with ten swims, that would give each swim a fair amount of water but i supose the prob mite be getting in a swim in the first place, best go and hav a walk round soon to see whats what.

exkingsmeadchef
13-03-2008, 18:08
O right, 40 members with ten swims, that would give each swim a fair amount of water but i supose the prob mite be getting in a swim in the first place, best go and hav a walk round soon to see whats what.

Also does it not have a waiting list in operation?
If so not much use for the coming season, is it?

carp.crazy
14-03-2008, 17:28
Also does it not have a waiting list in operation?
If so not much use for the coming season, is it?

Na ive spoke to steve and he has a couple of places come free.