PDA

View Full Version : getting technical

mattpope
02-02-2007, 20:41
Evening all,
you have all probally heard about carp have amazing tatse receptors due to their barbules but i got thinking and am trying to figure out how the moleculess of the scent that our bait leaves gets to the carp, i understand that diffusion is the main procces , but if a carp was 15 yards away from a bait, and could not see it, how would it smell it.
because if we imagine the bait is giving off small molecules off what ever it is made of which gives it its smell, these molecules will be surrounded by millions of water molecules, so how does the bait molecules reach the carps barbules if neither the carp or the bait was moving? http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
hope that makes sense and would be very grateful for an explanation,
many thanks again
Matt

davemac27
02-02-2007, 21:22
A shark can detect one part blood to ten billion parts water. I dont know how I just know they do so I dont bother getting myself tied up in knots and put more thought into worrying about the things I can control.

I went down a similar road a while ago thinking about everything other than what I should of been. I wouldnt worry too much about the things you have no control over mate. Youll only tie yourself up in knots.

stomp
02-02-2007, 21:31
yes to right, you will get yourself in a right ole molecule!!

BROOKS
02-02-2007, 21:35
Got to say, in my experience bait placement is by far the biggest challenge. If the fish is (feeding) 15 yards away from your bait then your bait is in the wrong place to start with.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif

mattpope
02-02-2007, 23:05
ok thanks guys, take all your veiws on board just wondering if anyone knew the actually chemistry side of it.
thanks any way
matt

OldSkoolCool
02-02-2007, 23:22
A carp's body is covered in taste buds mate, the barbules arent really used for picking up the scent of a food source. Thats a shed load of taste buds when you think about it.

I could go into the chemistry side of things but I havent got time to write an essay. Im off down the pond now, spring's on it's way and preperations have to be made, Just not in the daylight if you know what im saying http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif
This carp fishing lark is going to kill me!
Laters.

LTC
03-02-2007, 00:31
im having a stab at this but... say you were walking down the town and you could smell KFC, but the KFC wasn't on top of your head or in front of you,- it was down the other end of the town,- KFC hasn't moved, its the air that does this.- we live/ breath air, carp live/breathe water, water does exactly the same thing for the smell that air does for us, if you follow what i mean, and don't forget that water molecules hold air aswell, so this is where the smell/taste me be held within a molecule of water.
I have no idea if that it correct or not but thinking on the simple and logical side of the track this is how the smell/taste would move about.

blacky
03-02-2007, 01:31
the trouble with carp fishing is the fact that we've all gone into it too far! the fact is that a carp is a wild animal and at certain times in it's life it will need to feed.our love for our quarry makes us think that it's a super intelligent beast that will outwit us and make itself as scarce to us as it possibly can. this in part is true but only to the fact that if we spook it or make it's feeding area unatural it's going to feel uninclined to feed from that spot. we make carping so hard for ourselves by doing the done thing or following the crowd when if we revert to what made us succesful in the first instance of angling, i.e. following our own instincts, our success rates could improve. I don't know terry hearn, dave lane, chris yates, rod hutchinson or any of the top lads of our sport past and present but i bet that they are as good as they are at catching there quarry virtually by single mindness and doing there own thing.i imagine that these gents will have disappeared from there wives and friends for a certain amount of time, or dedicated there lives to catch the fish of there dreams and sacrificied a lot of there life to achieve this.these men have been or are at the top of there game and probably would swap all that for being back to the primeval start of an angler and hunting there quarry undisturbed and back at one with nothing but nature.if you want to achieve this you have to set yourself the objective in your head that you can acheive your goal that you set for yourself then you will do it. if you fish a low stocked inland sea you've got to prepare yourself for blanks, unless your lucky it's not going to happen over night. everyone knows this but the battle is sorting out your head for the onslaught that you give yourself.however, if you spend the time sussing the lake out your chances are going to improve.it's so obvious it's mad! we read the magazines about the latest wonder-rig or watch the dvd's and wonder how the hell we catch these fish but i bet when you first started angling for carp it didn't feel as hard as it did now! i've recently switched back to basic running rigs with standard baits on (worms,meat,corn) and taken my local lakes apart.It opened my eyes to what i'd forgot over the years! remeber, it's only as hard as we make it. don't forget the hunter in you.

JAFFA
03-02-2007, 07:29
Matt,it depends how technical you want to get.

http://www.flexitral.com/research/chemical_senses_complete.pdf

LTC comparision is a good one. The change in P.H levels is what a carp detects.

Mods....I know links are not normally allowed. But its an information link to research papers.

kind regards Jeff

mattpope
03-02-2007, 08:58
thanks all! can always trust this forum,
JAFFA, thats exactly what i wanted cus its the technical stuff that interests me, cheers bud.
many thanks
Matt