PDA

View Full Version : Slack lines and dropbacks

President_yak
20-01-2007, 20:23
Evening all,
This question has probably been asked many many times but im still not sure how or if it works. If you are fishing super slack lines ie bobbins on the floor or no bobbins atall, would a dropback register?
If someone could explain how itd be massiveley appreciated as im currently a bit unconfident when fishing slack lines http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Cheers guys http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif

woody71
20-01-2007, 20:25
if you fished a heavy running lead the line would tighten if a fish came towards you

LIP
20-01-2007, 21:08
or fish light lead with baitrunner quite tight

RiaSKo
20-01-2007, 21:41
No it wouldnt register.

LIP
20-01-2007, 21:44
yes it would,and does

TipTop
20-01-2007, 22:11
Woody's got it.....my method exactly

RiaSKo
20-01-2007, 22:27
So LIP, you're telling me if he was using a fixed lead with his hangers on the floor and the fish picked up the bait and ran towards the bank, he'd get registration? Rubbish.

junglist
21-01-2007, 07:10
the law of physics says it wouldnt!

When you do eventually register abite even with a heavy running lead who knows how much line the carp may have taken ? 20 - 30 ft perhaps more perhaps less????

J

emblem
21-01-2007, 09:10
if you fish super slack lines on a semi fixed set up you will get NO indication if a fish runs towards you.
by far the best indication if you want to fish slack and bobbins on the floor is, a heavy ie 4 ounce minimum running lead this will act as a pivot point for the line to run through, thus if a fish runs towards you the slack is taken up and line will still be taken from the reel.
if
in doubt get a couple of rods out on a field and see for yourself i,ve fished this way for years in most situations and its spot on if you get it right, i still get takes as you would on semi fixed no probs at all.

BLOWER
21-01-2007, 09:15
it will register because if you use a very light bobbin there is less resistance for the indicator to rise than it is to move line side ways against the water therefor a drop back will show like a normal take, when the bobbin gets to the top and the rsistance is higher the line will move side ways in the water ie if you were to imagins the line going out into the lake and around a tree and backtowards you, if the fish takes and moves towards you you will get a rising take. now remove the tree and the resistance of the line against the water is similar but not as solid. blimey this is difficult to explain!!! hope it makes sense.basicly slacklines, light indicators the indicator will rise whichever direction the fish goes.

emblem
21-01-2007, 09:26
running lead yes semi fixed no try it in a field !

BLOWER
21-01-2007, 10:52
in a field is completely different, because there is no water, water causes resistance against the line, have you ever seen marlin fishing on the tv? the fish can be running at right angles to the boat and still be taking line from a heavy drag, this is because there is resistance between the lin and the water. you can try it in a fiels but make sure the grass is very high and you will see the line catches in the grass near the lead and when you move towards the rod the indicator rises. same as when you cast out and get abow in the line from the wind if were to just wind down and tighten quickly you lead would move before the line straightened

Benny_the_bream
21-01-2007, 12:28
Use an mcf rattler no probs with indication

beadey
21-01-2007, 12:44
I guess he is fishing for Grass carp in the field.....corny i know had to be done.I reckon your spot on Blower.

goldenbollox
21-01-2007, 18:45
Somthing I have always worried about. Never forget fishing in a wear pool in the early 80's with my first ever (semi) fixed lead tied on with 1lb line and loosing three fish on the trot due to them running twards me on a slack'ish line...... think an old Heron buzzer! Ended up using a bit of split reed as an indicator and landed a nice clean 19lb common as the next fish! Since them I have hated slack lines! Keep trying, but just dont have confidence!

PRICER1973
21-01-2007, 20:08
[ QUOTE ]
if you fish super slack lines on a semi fixed set up you will get NO indication if a fish runs towards you.
by far the best indication if you want to fish slack and bobbins on the floor is, a heavy ie 4 ounce minimum running lead this will act as a pivot point for the line to run through, thus if a fish runs towards you the slack is taken up and line will still be taken from the reel.
if
in doubt get a couple of rods out on a field and see for yourself i,ve fished this way for years in most situations and its spot on if you get it right, i still get takes as you would on semi fixed no probs at all.

[/ QUOTE ] i am with you on this one fella.

BLOWER
21-01-2007, 21:20
if you get no indication using semi fixed when the fish has run towards you it is because your indicators are too heavy, this means that physically it was easier for the line to move in the water than the indicator to rise. i agree you will get good indication witha running lead but you will also get indication with a semi fixed.

NickyH
22-01-2007, 11:50
Drop backs are for wimps

Hippy
22-01-2007, 12:10
As blower has said - if you use proper light bobbins, you will get an indication- it takes a lot of effort to move line through water, and the resistance cause the line to be pulled along the route it has settled on and cause the bobbin to rise.