PDA

View Full Version : when do you oil up your hookers?

joe_h
15-01-2007, 23:05
what time of year do you guys start to oil up your pop-ups, is it even worth it? thoughts!?

cheers

stinkysquid
15-01-2007, 23:54
I glug my bottom bait hookers anytime now, i air dry about half a kilo and soak them all year.
I have a super fruit glug for pop-ups.that also goes in when i buy the first batch about 200 baits to last the years dayticketing.

willstephens
16-01-2007, 08:53
After air drying I soak mine in a little Meta-Mino or Multi-Stim. They both work all year and don't make the bait smell or taste that different really (which i like).

RIVERSi
16-01-2007, 13:00
Like the other guys if you are going to glug baits I prefer an amino rather than an oil. The only problem with oil is it tends to seal your bait and does not allow it to become active or release all the attractors that have been added to the bait. I have seen on a lake before oil soaked bait floating on the surface smelling rather bad because they have gone off from the inside. so that has always put me off soaking baits in oil. It gives the bait a waterproof coating and that is not what I after in a bait.

stinkysquid
16-01-2007, 13:27
I don't just glug my baits in oils, i use salmon oil glugged baits to fish with pellets as hook baits only, i definetly wouldn't be using them in any quantity as feed.
Usually as already mentioned I soak freebies in an amino or a flavoured glug.

luke3
16-01-2007, 15:52
Yeah but using salmon oil etc etc, wouldn't it change the taste and smell of the bait??

willstephens
16-01-2007, 15:56
Use Meta-Mino. Amino based and has a neutral smell.

joe_h
16-01-2007, 17:20
wouldnt that soften the bait, dont all amino based liquids contain water?