PDA

View Full Version : The Crunch Factor

mark100
14-01-2007, 16:27
Do you think the crunch factor in a boilie makes it more appealing to Mr Carp or is it a load of hype?

I have my doubts http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

carp_man_conway
14-01-2007, 16:51
I definitely think there is something in the crunch effect. How much it will play a part in the bait is anyoneÂ’s guess. Why are tigers so effective?? Is it down to the sugars or the crunch?
My personal thought would be yes. If you have ever seen carp feeding on cray fish you will know what I mean, a pack of 5 fish will go through the swim and one or 2 fish will roll on the lakebed as the other fish dive in and snaffle the crays that are darting out from under rocks etc. They give of a serious crunch and I have never seen fish so active feeding over a baited area and the speed which other fish moving in to investigate was something i had not seen before.
Is it the noise? Lets not forget sound does attract fish and from there been 5 fish at the beginning to about 12 in the end something attracted them.

Be interesting to see some more feedback on what people think about this.

RiaSKo
14-01-2007, 16:52
Water Snails and hemp are crunchy, and they sure as hell go nuts on that. SO i guess it could be a good thing to have some crunch (egg shells) in your boilies.

chefie
14-01-2007, 17:01
How about a underwater crunching radio built into the lead????

LADDERS
14-01-2007, 17:03
nuff said!! hence willmotts shellfish b5 http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mark100
14-01-2007, 17:53
Other classic baits are not crunchy such as The Grange, Activ-8, Scopex Squid and DT's Oily Chicken.

Who knows why hemp and tigers are so appealing to carp, may be it is the crunch.

jcbenson
14-01-2007, 17:56
I think it makes a difference. But NOT bcause of crunch. It just so happens that most shellfish shells (used by bait companies as a cheap source of crunch...) happen to be high in chitin, plus some useable minerals and vitamins.

Joephus
14-01-2007, 18:20
The bits in B5 are very hard and course, proper grit rather than hemp seed like crunch.

alanmillard
14-01-2007, 19:22
nothing wrong with a few egg shells thrown in for good measure as well, but add a little salt

doglake2
14-01-2007, 20:31
Anyone thought of sound???? http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif apart from Chefie?

murph
14-01-2007, 20:50
not convinced http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif i thought the egg shell was there as an excuse for not shelling the eggs properly and then made a feature of it

sparklecarp
14-01-2007, 21:02
without wanting too over simplify things, hemp/tigers, ever thought they just like the taste? tigers are usually used as a minority bait over boilies, and hemp is virtually never used as a hookbait! therefore they will not be conditioned too associate those baits with danger as much, and thus feed more confidently because of that. as for eggshells/oyster grit used for crunch in boilies, has anyone actually rolled up the same base/additives only one with shell, one without and fished them side by side for a season? thats really the only way too judge effectiveness or lack of either way.
sparkle x

bigfatboilie
14-01-2007, 21:37
the crunch factor is a major bonus when selecting a bait, carp love to crunch,

I have created a way of treating maggots to make them crunchy and I have caught loads of carp on them. always go for a crunchy bait-

ask yourself- would ' crunchy nut cornflakes' be the same if they were simply called 'nut cornflakes'

bigfatboilie
14-01-2007, 21:41
more to the point-

would kellogs Frosties be as tasty if they were not coated in sugar?

sparks
14-01-2007, 21:55
I am 100% convinced that the crunch factor makes a big difference but is just one of the reasons why the shellfish B5 has been so good.

Perhaps it sounds much noisier to them when eating it and appears more like much of their natural food?

sparklecarp
14-01-2007, 22:12
you cant just say crunchy baits catch more fish, if you fish a crunchy bait all the time, you will only catch fish on a crunchy bait! not saying it doesnt make a difference, but needs to be tested in the way i said above and results compared over a time period, a fishes diet is varied, yes they eat crunchy molluscs, snails etc, but also go mad on bloodworm, and other invertebrates which are far from crunchy, mr bowsher caught bruno on a worm at 50lb+ he didnt seem to fussed about a non crispy worm!

sparks
14-01-2007, 23:32
I don't think anyone is suggesting that carp will not eat food unless it has a crunch factor because that's fairly obvious. The debate is about whether a boilie containing a percentage of crunchy ingredients is better than one without, and having used both extensively for a number of years, I'm convinced that ones with a crunch factor are far superior.

sparklecarp
15-01-2007, 07:36
and neither am i, you need evidence to support it either way,i am open to both, have used both in the past, but never seen a change in results of any sort.
why didnt you say that in the first place, if you have used both for a time period then you can start to draw a conclusion of some sort, and if you think it helps you, then great bet it gives you confidence, which is a massive bonus.
with the sound thing, my mate has carp in a tank at home, and when we feed them, you can hear them crunching the pellets, and thats through the tank! so the fish must pick up something to

mark100
15-01-2007, 08:46
All very interesting, obviously if you are talking single baits it does not matter eg. the worm, but if they eat several they might stay on and eat more due to the crunch and extra enjoyment.

I have to say i think if the bait has top qulaity ingredients that the fish finds highly desirable i dont think it matters.

Look at Premiers Aminos and The Fusion both highly succesful and fairly soft, would they have been even more succesful with a crunch factor. I cant prove it but i doubt it.

chefie
15-01-2007, 11:31
[ QUOTE ]

I have created a way of treating maggots to make them crunchy and I have caught loads of carp on them. always go for a crunchy bait-

'

[/ QUOTE ]
castors?

spence
15-01-2007, 12:26
I use a soft bowers bait that also has the added advantage of containing mini mollusc shells and egg shell included, so they get all the best of everything in every round ball of goodness they consume http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And "THEY" consume it http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Spence