PDA

View Full Version : Just Add Water

Matt_C
14-09-2005, 09:30
Before I start I must emphasise that this is not a criticism of any one person, just an observation of a general trend.

I have been fishing since I was about 10 years old, so almost 25 years now. I started out fishing the Thames for whatever was stupid enough to eat my bait. Moved on to catching roach, bream, tench etc from stillwaters, progressing to pike fishing at Wraysbury 2 during the winters in my teens, finally on to carp fishing about 17 years ago, with a short break in there to get married etc...

Although I now class myself as a carp angler, you will often see me crack out the little 4m whip or a float rod to knock out some silver fish when the going is slow. Hate sitting behind motionless buzzers, much rather be getting the floaters out or fishing with a float to catch something even if (god forbid) it's not a carp!

It amazes me these days that there is no natural progression in fishing any more. It seems that people new to the sport want to go straight in catching 30's and that the man sitting watching his float is considered a 'noddy'. I can bet many of these 'noddies' have more angling skill than your average newbee carp angler.

It saddens me to see younguns, new to the sport, contemplating taking on the likes of Horton and the Car Park. Only wanting to catch the biggest straight away without having the enjoyment and satisfaction of actual fishing can bring.

Is this just another indication of society as a whole these days, wanting everything now without really having to work for it?

I cant help thinking that these youngsters (and some not so young) who go straight into carp fishing trying to catch the big boys actually miss the tru essence of what fishing is all about.

davey1
14-09-2005, 09:53
in my veiw matt there is more money around these days for people to afford to be come an instant carp angler ,i see it alot on my club waters 9 out of ten kids are instant carpers with the newest gear and baits ,but no know how on how to handle fish properly as they havent done the groundwork that most of the older guys have put in over a long time .very sad indeed http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif

mark2002
14-09-2005, 09:54
here here, but we have to live with it as there here to stay

Fagin
14-09-2005, 09:54
Its just called the bug mate. Once you catch your first carp your intrigued by them and want more.

I started out float fishing with my step dad, then i started going on my own to rapheals, and i did that for years from when I was about 5 years old to when i was about 13. I think i still have my first rod which was 6ft long and claret and blue (I liked it cos it was west ham colours), then obviously xmas meant drawing for the argos catalogue and new gear. Then i witnessed someone catch a 13lb common from rapheals, which amazed me. so i found a lake called benskins where i fished paste and corn and caught a few carp to 4lb on the float.

Then i invested in another rod and a bite alarm (the one with the orange needle, still from argos) and used to have one rod float fishing, and one on the bottom, and eventually had a 7lber (weighed in a carrier bag with scales from guess where?)

By this stage i really had the bug and for xmas got my first matching pair of rods, reels and king fisher alarms and set off for a lake in a country park, ([censored] lake for the local people) where i bought a season ticket and sat there virtually every day of the holidays. I would catch naff all but watching adults catching was a learning curve as people opened up to me about rigs, and how to tie them properly etc. Then eventually I had my first take from there, 9lb.

One of the lads i met on there who was my age had suggested we go to slough house, place is rammed with fish. and thats where I started catching loads, infact out fishing most of the adults. From then on I Caught my first double, and fish up to 18lb.

I stayed fishing over there for about a year having up to 40 fish a day, then i did my work experience in County Angling when i was 14. This led on to a saturday job and after a while i was allowed to fish the manor (owned by county).

I was perhaps under prepared for this lake but by now I wanted my first 20 and there was no better place. Werent too long til that was banked (26lb 8oz, JonMiller remembers..... HEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPP"

and then from there the natural progression took over, a few helpful tips from people and then first 30 came. and now chasing one of the 40's / the big girl now.

The next levels for me is different scenarios i.e. Big Lakes, distance fishing, stalking etc.

thicky
14-09-2005, 10:03
This is your life Fagin..........LOL http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Seriously ban all carp anglers under 25 and send the whipper snappers like Kidney1 down to the Thames for gudgeon and bleak bashing experiance......LOL http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Matt_C
14-09-2005, 10:11
Fagin, that's a very interesting history fella.

I agree when the bug gets you it does big style. Thing is many are not happy with catching mere doubles, they have to have the bigguns within 2 years of starting fishing.

Also, in order to get the bug you will normally have caught a carp simply 'pleasure fishing'. Most of the newbees wont have done that as they dont pleasure fish as that is for noddies...

redantnee
14-09-2005, 10:12
I can not agree enough with the comments made on this thread.

I have been fishing since I can remember, stick floating for dace, roach etc Kingston bridge, before they built the waitrose!

I personnally didn't fish for carp until I was 19! Even then i would only fish for them with my trustee float rod.

Since then I have slowly adapted to sitting for hours behind the motionless hangers/delkims!!!!

However my 11 year old nephew, who has been taught how to use the float and feeder is now 'already' addicted to carp fishing, his PB 25lb 4oz! He can not understand why he should fish for the smaller fish as he has the oppurtunity to catch massive carp.

Personnally I find this very sad, as I have spent many years chasing different fish from both rivers and lakes. Everybody on here is always talking about the unknown, yet the majority still fish lakes with known stocks etc.

I think there should be some kind of test/license put in place before you can fish for Carp or buy line, over 6lb bs...

Red!

GazzaP
14-09-2005, 10:29
I am a bit split over this one. I agree that theres nothing like an apprenticeship to gain experience and therefore learn about fish care, technique, rigs, bait, location etc......but, who teaches these kids ? Thats where the problem lies in most cases. I take my 14 year old son with me fishing most times and if he gets things wrong or in a mess, I am there to help and guide (kick his ar5e!). I have seen some youngsters on the bank "fish" all weekend with no adults or supervision and they have no idea what they are doing or how they are affecting other anglers around them. If we teach the kids properly then they learn proper etiquette (spelling!) and can then progress onto "proper" waters that hold proper lumps without upsetting all and sundry. Without proper guidance they will never learn to become part of the carping "society".
Carp will always be there.......kids come and go or grow into big kids. Lets tech 'em properly instead of banishing them all to "day ticket" waters......

Rant over......

NickyH
14-09-2005, 10:31
I started catching roach and crusian carp from the age of 7/8 with a float and a 13ft crappy rod in a lake rammed with pads...We used bread and worms. Then we started on the rivers (mainly Wid)

When we got to about 13/14 we started fishing bigger well stocked carp ponds (the first 20) we used to make out own versions of just about everything (far higher quality than nash :-)

16/17 was when the fun began, overnighters and long trips at the weekend plus cash to fund good equipment and good syndicates.

At 17 I lost my long-term fishing buddy to "disco biscuits" he turned into a shaking mess in months....sad loss, but just made me wiser and more time was spent on the bank....

First 30, first 40 they were all worked for. In my opinion it is the only way to learn. How can you fully understand the value of our quarry if your first fish is a 20 ??

JamesMackenzie
14-09-2005, 10:48
its all down to media and marketing. Just like any other sport/hobby, new people all want a bit of the pie - they feel they are missing out, and to a degree, they could well be (not in my mind they are not). because countless pictures of 2,3 rods and buzzers along with pictures of whacking great carp are all the rage (or so we are all lead to believe), novices are easily led into thinking thats where they should be, what they should be doing.
But those of you that genuinely love your fishing, like me, probably got into fishing by your dad,relative or friend and without any mags whatsoever; probably too young to read them and there wasnt that many big carp pictures at the time either. You learnt to appreciate all the good angling has to offer without the media hype and marketing thats opened a huge doorway for the young/new to follow.
think of it like this as an example, if there were no strories of good, dare i say 'hero', anglers with pictures of big carp from yateley car park lake, how many names would really be on that waiting list? nowhere near as many as there is now!
theres a lot of glory hunters out there now that seem to dismiss the real joys of angling and think they are going to be the next big thing. sadly, to a degree, and thankfully, it wont happen!
Its not just angling though, its happening in other fields too, its just the way times are moving.
i personally love every aspect of fishing, and believe me, when i say im just as happy catching little roach as great big historic carp, i am!

Matt_C
14-09-2005, 10:52
'Who teaches these kids?'

I wasn't taught as such, but learnt from experience and my mistakes, and the many fishing friends I met along the way.

With regard to fish care in my opinion there is no substitution for experience, and yes, how can you gain experience when your first fishing trip is at a day ticket carp puddle trying to catch 20's. The same goes for angling etiquette, although this is really just common sense.

There are practical reasons why, in my view, it is better for an ANGLER to progress 'through the ranks' so to speak, but just as importantly for an appreciation of what fishing is truely about.

Fishing is not just about chucking out a pair of 3oz leads, getting plastered and going to sleep.

It is not a failure to not catch a 30 in your first years fishing...

Matt_C
14-09-2005, 10:55
It would be interesting to see the viewpoint of an 'instant' carp angler (please excuse the phrase) to see the other side of the coin...

rhornegold
14-09-2005, 11:03
So Please explain why should youngsters have do an apprenticeship if they don't need to ?

I started fishing in 1954, a mates Dad took us to Connault waters, tiller bashing.

But even closer to home was a Pond called the " Warren ", it was full of Tench, Carp And Silver Bream.

There I met a Group of Lads, who later became the West Essex Specimen Hunter Group.

From almost the beginning of my life of fishing, Carp were on the agenda, along with other species that lived in the Warren.

As I got older I managed to catch a few Carp and moved on to bigger waters and different species.

Okay, life and times have changed, but does it matter where or what species you start with ?

As long as youngster enjoy fishing and do no harm to the quarry and with so many well meaning anglers about thats not likely to happen, does it matter at all, where they start ?

Bob

Malone
14-09-2005, 11:18
I think that some younger anglers have missed the pleasures that I got from my younger fishing days.

I am not saying it's a bad thing to start with carp but............... I would not have changed my progression from float fishing the Thames, ledgering the weirs, then onto the smaller lakes etc etc. to finally fish for the great Carp that now bless my landing net.

rhornegold
14-09-2005, 11:29
So its Just an Opinion ?

I started Fishing for Carp from the Beginning and still learnt to Trot the Lea and the Rib with a Stick Float.

And continued onto just about every other type of Coarse fishing.

It matters not one iota whether you start Carp Fishing or Trotting a Float on a River, just as long as they enjoy it.

And I expect the next post will be about the instant Carper who give up after they have caught a 20 ?

Well everybody in my class at school fished and I can assure you, that I i'm the only one still fishing ( and the Classes were big after the War).

As long as Youngsters are coming into the Sport what odds does it make where they start.

We all know, they are not going straight to Horton Church Lake, they will progress from the Carp Puddle to the Walthamstow reserviors type fishery and onto a Syndicate if they are Good enough.

Bob

Matt_C
14-09-2005, 11:33
...but Bob, did your fishing start sitting behind buzzers, I think not.

That is my point, whatever the quarry there is so much more to fishing than sitting behind 3 matching rods.

Fagin
14-09-2005, 11:36
[ QUOTE ]
...but Bob, did your fishing start sitting behind buzzers, I think not.

That is my point, whatever the quarry there is so much more to fishing than sitting behind 3 matching rods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fishing is about enjoyment.

If you enjoy sitting behind some buzzers for a weekend then so be it, if you enjoy walking up and down the river with a centrepin then so be it.

Maybe now days carp fishing is the first step of the ladder of fishing, float fishing comes later.

Tadpolepat
14-09-2005, 11:45
Ah, the Total Carp generation. "Of which you are part!", comes the jaded taunt from the corner, standard issue for anyone under 25 with 3 matching rods and a hoody. There are "instants" and "wannabes" in all sports and passtimes, it's just our exposure to the angling sub-species which smears our outlook with such cynicism.

I think, for most, it's difficult to come to terms with change. Perfectly understandable. Like anything we hold in high emotional regard, we cherish the memories and try to protect its future. Everything is on a plate right now - advice, tackle, waters, fish - the magazines perpetuate this to some extent but it's more a reflection of society. There are simply more shortcuts to stardom.

While such a generation also depresses me, I venture that for every member bigging up his Dome-caught 30 at 5 acre Dome-ridden Slurry Pond, there's a kid unable to sleep as his Dad collects worms from the garden. It's up to those who feel they have earned an angling apprenticeship, and appreciate absolutely the passion, ettiquette, and exhiliration gained from those formative years, to pass such values on.

I mock the so-called "noddies", and by this term I do not reference match and pleasure anglers, but those who I feel have missed the boat in terms of life as an angler. So long as their interpretation of angling brings them happiness, then they are merely another obstacle to overcome on certain waters. Such waters do not interest me, so there is no harm done. It must be tough starting out on your own now, with only a thinly layered image being painted of our sport. I feel truly privileged to have experienced that sensational feeling of a gudgeon kicking against my newly untangled line, flanks glinting in the morning sun, but other kids will draw pleasure now in different ways.

I'm off carp angling soon, there's a 30 with my name on it. Let's hope I don't get "distracted" for half an hour like yesterday by those darting dace in the river - there's a 20-year-old Total Carper for you. Don't fear, ladies and gents, so long as we do our bit for the sport by introducing others to all it can offer, then the future ain't so bad... http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif

rhornegold
14-09-2005, 11:47
Matt,

My Carp fishing started with a lesson from Lenny Savage, on casting a bit of floating crust into a hole in the weed.

It went onto fishing nights, watching " Rings " of Silver Paper by Bike Lamp rise up from the ground to the Butt Ring.

Then onto Heron Buzzers ( which I still have in working order) and bits of Silver Paper rising to the butt ring.

Not exactly matching rods as mine were home made J B Walker Mk 1V Carp and Avon Rods.

Times have only changed because some people think Carp are almost another Species to most coarse fish.

The blame for that can be fairly laid at the Single specie Groups and an Elite attitude ?

Bob

Fagin
14-09-2005, 11:49
Any way no carp angler is anything unless he has had a total carp article with the Don.

DeanOr
14-09-2005, 12:55
Good post tad and very true...

My apprenticeship so to speak was started on a tiny little river as a youngster 8/9 trying my damn hardest to catch anything that swam.. It was hard and with my red 7ft spiinning rod from Argos it was harder..

Then onto a few matches learning with the pole, waggler, note i hated fishing the feeder couldnt bare to sit watching a tip.. Could sit down the lake and canal allday staring at a float and winding the roach in.. June 16th was practically cream your pants time!!

Then it changed got to 17 and moved to The oasis that is Thatcham. Meet new people who are into carp fishing and away i go.. During all that time i have never stopped from the beginning not even for women http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif ok sometimes i aint a full timer.

And here i am today..

If you would have asked me all them years ago if i would have fished for carp i would have thought you were mad.. But as you get older you appreciate it more.. I use to be obsessed in catching hundreds of fish in a day.. Now prefer to chill out enjoy my own company and mates and relax.. Carp fishing is what you make it you can play hard ball or just take it easy

Its a good leveller

Fagin
14-09-2005, 13:03
[ QUOTE ]
my red 7ft spiinning rod from Argos it was harder..

[/ QUOTE ]

They always had a free bubble float too!

i remember my mate turning up down the weald one day with what i thought was a breif case, only to open it up and have 2 little tele rods and reels, some massive hooks, a few feathers etc!!

i had a D.A.M Matchwinner rod at the time. The eyes didnt even have inserts.

Nat
14-09-2005, 13:11
I first started catching little minnows and bullheads i think they were, in a net in a stinking stream down the end of my road when i was about 5 or 6, then the fish got large...now they are getting nicer!

What made it special though is NOT knowing what we were doing and not having too many magazines about apart from David Halls mags and Angling Times. But they didnt tell you what to do, they reported.

Now we have the glossy mags and this bloody internet there is no mystery anymore, well there is if you choose to ignore it and take you own path...and you'll enjoy it far more.

Seen many young posters on here asking about everying 'famous' lake around and this doesnt help them at all.

My first real fishing lessons were back in 1985 with Yateley Common Country park wardens, all through the summer holidays and they taught you about catching small fish. At the end of the course we had a match and I came 3rd, Steve Fantauzzi came 4th and he still bears that pain even to this day.... http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It was Freud (And Jan Wzencka in an old Big Carp issue) who mentioned the 'Pleasure Factor', the more pain the greater the pleasure, which we all know is true.

These days someone can literally turn up to a lake with their 'day session pack' catch BIG carp and not be able to cast. Where's the pleasure in that? We know, but they wont know, but they can find out if they unplug themselves.

http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Its out there, you just have to rely on your own senses. http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DeanOr
14-09-2005, 13:12
Brilliant wasnt it.. Never got the Dam one christ they did some good stuff

Even caught on that awesome tow rope line.. Although i had to work hard for em in the early days.. Use to get my dad to buy me the Angling times and mail.. Use to pull the middles out and stick em on my bedroom wall

Proper anorak but i was young and as keen as mustard..

The difference nowadays is the youngsters are missing this and dare i say getting out of the sport before they begin.. Aiming to high growing impatient

Its them early stages that set the tone / desire IMO http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fagin
14-09-2005, 13:17
Yea Argos was big for DAM stuff.

I remember moving onto a whip at some stage aswell, it was bright blue and 5m.

The benetts of sheffeild catalogue used to get the xmas treatment aswell thining about it. Pole floats and all sorts.

and I remember telling the newsagent to add the anglers mail to our paper delivery. My mum went mad when she went to pay.

But i was keen as mustard as a nipper, I was the only one who carried on from my 2 brothers and step dad. Now they all think i am mad for going every weekend. Let alone when they see the realtree stuff.

DeanOr
14-09-2005, 13:17
My first ever attempt at fishing was a disaster,, Bit of string a twig and the bit of metal off the close peg onto this i impaled a tadpole fishing for newts and the like in the brook

Still to this day shocked we didnt catch!!

Bullheads were good scooping em up under the rocks along with the stone loach.. This is getting on for nearly 18 years ago now so wish i could go back to them days

What i would probably get arrested for being childish.. LOL http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fagin
14-09-2005, 13:21
I dont think i would let a 12 year old go fishing on his own now.

One of the bailiffs on both [censored] lake and rapheals actually got banged up for kiddy fiddling.

DeanOr
14-09-2005, 13:22
Same here fagin.. My old man got me into it.. Two brothers (younger) went and they kept nicking my gear.. They have now given up and dont understand why i still go

Something they grew out of.. i will never grow up

Is mad how much the world has changed as well in them years to when we could do what we want.. Man your talking 15 years here thats nothing

Fagin
14-09-2005, 13:33
Corr jus realised I have been fishing for 15 years!!

I'm only 20!!!

You would think i'd be good at it by now http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DeanOr
14-09-2005, 13:48
LOL your an instant carp angler then http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

daz
14-09-2005, 13:53
im only young myself(18) and have been fishing for over ten years allready since i was 5 or 6. started off fishing small stuff with my dad on the rivers then once old enough to go on my own still carried on fishing rivers but changed to pike. and then bream. then when 15 caught first carp and wanted more so for christmas that year i was brought my own carp set, not the best about by far (all nash stuff) and caught plenty and was fortunate that on my first night session i ever did on my own (well was with brother but no adult supervision) caught a 20. then i wanted more and more bigger fish but have caught them slowly. and now have been carping for nearly 3 years and only 5 20's to show which to me is good but others say thats not but its personall preference. but i have got hundreds of doubles as well so feal i have worked my way up. but i still get the match rod out and fish for smaller fish as i still enjoy doing it.

the one thing i hate is seeing kids on the bank with all the gear not having a clue coming over saying can i use a bit of your bait mister. i don't mind helping out the ones which ask and are polite about it but its the arrogent ones which [censored] me off as they demand some of your bait and then cast into your waters, catch one and throw it around the bank.

but i think this is the time we are in and best thing to do is steer clear of the waters they are on and if they do come to the water your on they shouldn't catch to much and get bored sell there gear and try golf.

Fagin
14-09-2005, 13:57
Boil in the bag matey http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif

thicky
14-09-2005, 15:59
The thing is in reality theres no point in castigating the instants as the good news is they come and the go and thank god they tend on the hole to fish carp puddles and when they eventualy arrive at a proper water they last but a short time,normaly moaning about how weedy it is or theres no fish in the lake,or theres no girlie lodge.....LOL http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
On the other hand carp angling can be a great leveller especialy when the foremention instant bags the bigun of the lake.....deep joy.......NOT..LOL http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Alex187
14-09-2005, 16:55
Im only 19 but I dont consider myself as a 'instant' or what ever people on here are calling them. I started tiddler bashing when i was 9 or 10 and after i had enough of that i knew carp fishing was the thing for me, i am very much 'in the ranks' as it has been said before. Totally agree with what has been said before, and even though i may be seen as part of the 'new generation' of carp anglers...when i go fishing i try to treat the wildlife with as much respect as possible and when i do catch a fish i try to take as much care as i can...I will be the first to admit that im still learning this game and i have so far only caught fish up to 19+ but as said before carp fishing grabs a hold of you like no other type of fishing and thats why you see so many youngsters with little experience trying to catch bigguns when they are totally out of their depth.

One day I hope to be successful at the car parks and hortons of this world and yes i am on the waiting list for them so my mission is to get as much experience as possible so when the phone rings and they say your at the top of the list I will feel ready to go...if i dont feel ready to fish these big lakes i will say no and let someone else have a chance as i dont want to risk a fish's health for the sake of having my name in the paper...thats how i see it anyway

Fagin
14-09-2005, 17:46
Well said fella. and remember the little uns are sometimes harder to catch than the big uns.

DanM
14-09-2005, 18:00
Why do you even care about what other people are missing out on? I thought fishing was all doing it for ya self? Enjoying ya self.... Or is this post just somewhere you can show everyone your hardcore 'cos you spent x years fishing for this, and x years for that... I think it's dog [censored] TBH. Each to there own init, if they wanna fish for carp first, let 'em do so! Anyway, who wrote this rule that you have to fish other species before you can fish for carp?

Just my view http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NorfolkBob
14-09-2005, 19:23
met a young lad on the banks the other week who was totally refreshing.

he was hunting out the fish, walking and looking, trying hard. he was intelligent, talked of big fish as a low-double (which to him would be a new PB), stated that he enjoyed catching all fish, was a proper all round angler with the right temperament.

powdered carpers are out there - but the real mcCoy is as well, seek and ye shall find.....

GazzaP
14-09-2005, 19:46
There are NO rules.......just opinions !!!

Markoncarp
14-09-2005, 21:47
I dont think there is any problem with being an instant carp angler. The majority of waters out there are now mainly carp only anyway. Dont get me wrong, I despair that some of these kids may never float fish for raoch and rudd etc, but if they learn angling etiquette and respect for the fish, then Im fine.

The real issue for me is the kids that want to catch their first 20 on their first session. Work your way up, catch singles, try different methods, then try a doubles water where runs may be a little less frequent. Then try for your first 20.. you may have to wade through a few fish for this or wait longerfor a bite, but it will mean something... Then there is a decision to make.... are you after bigger and bigger fish or are you looking for run after run.....

Some of us like waters where we can stalk and wait out the enevitable PB. Some like to fish for runs. Personally I sit in the former section (just as well as I dont catch [censored] all!) Some dont.

As long as an angler respects the surroundings, the fish and the other anglers, well I dont care if he is a carp angler, a roach angler or a bream angler (actually forget the bream anglers... they are all fckunig mental!!)

Nat
15-09-2005, 08:06
I was thinking about this last night (wasnt i Dan) and i thought that we are 'sort of' moaning about something but what are we moaning about? The Instant carpers or the advances in carp angler that a new comer takes adcantage of because his or she doesnt know any different?

When we were young the oldies looked down on us for our carbon rods and bivvies rear drag reels and optonics with volume and tone control.. but at one time they were probably frowned upon by their oldies because of there use of reels (not centerpins) and buzzers, 2 rods, boiled baits etc....so it comes round again...and it will come around again when we are sat in old peoples homes this generation will be moaning about the ones below them.

Lets face it, unless fishing was banned, which some of us would actually love http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif or the more the merrier as there are puddles out there to accomodate the new comers.

http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

troughty
15-09-2005, 08:20
Any one else feel really old with the talk of Argos fishing stuff?

Argos wasn't even around when i started and i think my first proper rod came from Woolworths!!

From 7 to 16 was spent bit bashing and fishing every day of the summer holidays got me up to speed very quickly during these years. I was competing in adult matches at the ages of 14/15 and doing well...then i found carp and it all started to go pearshaped http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And so it has remained for the last eighteen years with a 2 year diversion back to the dark side (match fishing http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) about 5 years ago.

I still love flinging a float out every now and again and only the other day i enjoyed an evenings bit bashing with my parents (who have both fished every weekend in the summer as long as i can remember http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

On a more encouraging note i take my youngster fishing, she's 11 now and doesn't really like carp fishing as it's 'too boring dad' http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My 6 year old nephew is the same and is only happy when he's fishing for tiddlers with a whip. He reminds me of myself as a kid and when i'm round there he just fires questions about fishing for hours. His knowledge is extensive already for one so young and no doubt he will progress into a fine fisherman. I've already been earmarked by his dad for teaching him to trot properly.

I think my daughter will grow out of the fishing which is sad and i won't force it on her but you can tell which kids are going to be anglers and which are not. Sadly she's more interested in pop music and boys!

Children are the future http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jamie
15-09-2005, 08:27
used to remember everyone around the lakes fishing one rod for bits and two for carp but hardly see that at all any more.

think people are frustrated that we think the kids aren't getting the enjoyment that we did as youngsters but I am sure they are in their own ways. As Bob mentioned - there are a few decent little anglers out there that are coming through who have the right ethics and approach to their fishing and it's down to us to help them whenever possible.

kenniff
15-09-2005, 18:13
cheeper than the pub.you dont have to drive home.
you won't get pulled for having a bag of naughties.
you even have the chance of catchin summit.

its no suprise then,that its popular.
raves are popular,but not everybody likes the music.

an objective view,but deffo not mine. http://www.cemexangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif
we've bred a monster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!