PDA

View Full Version : Boilee Needles

Lofte
05-02-2001, 20:01
/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif

I dont know about you but I have a real problem with the boilee needles that I buy as they either bend, snap, or shred the hair loop? Do you have this problem? What boilee needle would you recommened to me and why?
Cheers
Lofte

/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif/images/forum/icons/smile.gif

I realy am getting the hang of these smile face now dont you think

Lofte
05-02-2001, 20:20
Cheers Ian

daytimedave
05-02-2001, 20:40
gardner.
cheapie.,amber or green
still going strong
sod all those fancy ones

horse
05-02-2001, 20:46
ive found out by experence that even through the gardener needles are good and strong, they are also very sharp , got one stuck deep in my thumb one night had to get it cut out.The solar ones are the best i had my for years, also you dont lose the stops in the mud.

Dan
05-02-2001, 20:59
solar, although there are two needles and one has a little bend in it which is ideal but the other is as sharp as a spear and if you miss that boiie then your gonna know about it, other than that "pukka"

cheers
Dan

scorpio
05-02-2001, 21:52
I am behind the times here, I still use a long crochet needle, is this the same sort of thing? Not for boilies though /images/forum/icons/smile.gif

Tony

CarponlineEditor
05-02-2001, 21:55
I like the Gardner stringer needle cos it isnt too sharp and it is long enough to fill a stringer in one go. If that doesnt go through a bait then I'm not using a needle I will either tye it on or use a small drill bit.

Andy

Smarts
05-02-2001, 23:03
Totally agree,...my Gardner boilie needle is the only one I've ever bought and somehow not lost in YEARS!

Smarts

Paulm
05-02-2001, 23:14
Its got to be the Gardner needle, as my solar needle (twin ends) broke on me recently!

Paulm /images/forum/icons/wink.gif

sallers
05-02-2001, 23:54
Gotta agree with everyone esle lofte the gardner needle is the one to use

Symon

DanTheMan
06-02-2001, 00:01
has anyone tried the big fish adventure stainless steel ones with the *ball* type end?? expensive yes but they well and truly are the dogs gangooly bits!
Dan the Man
p.s - how do i make my posts have loads of those picture thingys boys???? i.e. mr smiley etc.

Billyo
06-02-2001, 00:07
Oh no, not you too /images/forum/icons/smile.gif Take a look at the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/faq_english.pl?Cat=#html> FAQ</A>'s Dan.

Or there is a thread in 'Your Input' about it under the heading How The Bl**dy H*ll... or something similar...

Bill.

CarponlineEditor
06-02-2001, 00:22
On the subject of threading things, how about letting me know if you have any good ideas about threading tubing. I have just spent bloomin' ages trying to thread shock leaders through some thin sink tubing. What a nightmare lol. Any ideas?

Andy

Billyo
06-02-2001, 00:25
Andy,

Not sure I'm on the right track, being a river fisher, en all that... but have you tried threading a LONG sowing (darning?) needle through it - BACKWARDS, so it don't catch ?

Bet I'm wrong - again !!! /images/forum/icons/smile.gif

Bill.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Billyo on 06/02/01 00:26 AM.</FONT></P>

CarponlineEditor
06-02-2001, 00:30
I have tried a needle Bill but because the tubing is so thin (I only use thin tubing because of the risk of the lead not sliding up it in case of a break) it doesnt work very well. I was hoping someone would know of a good tube threader. Like a very thin wire with a loop in the end. But I dont really want to pay for a 'carp' one if you can get a much cheaper one somewhere else. lol I bet some british carpy manufacturer will get all fed up with me now. heh heh

Andy

Billyo
06-02-2001, 00:32
Electrical wholesalers ?

Bill.

CarponlineEditor
06-02-2001, 00:34
Yeah maybe, worth a try i spose.

scorpio
06-02-2001, 00:36
I use a very thin rod with the hooklink material superglued to the end.... I got the thin metal rodding from a mate of mine, alternatively strip some insulation off some wire and coat the wire strand.... use enough just to get the thickness you need and coat it with some varnish, epoxy resin or whatever with a thin loop at the top.

I dunno if it will work for you but it does for me, I use the plastic tubing.

Oh yeahhh, try sone 50lb shock leader or 30lb amnesia with your hooklink material superglued to it.....

Tony

CarponlineEditor
06-02-2001, 00:40
Hmmm yes sounds okay the wire thingy I will give it a try. The tubing is very thin though.

Paulm
06-02-2001, 01:38
All i do is use some 3lb mono - thread it through the tubbing, tie your leader onto it, then pull it back through. Works a treat.!!

Paulm /images/forum/icons/wink.gif

rhornegold
06-02-2001, 07:54
Andy,
Check out the Match section at your local tackle shop, different size diamond eyed pole threaders do the job fine and the Gardner stringer needle is just right for big lumps of meat.

Bob Hornegold

CarponlineEditor
06-02-2001, 16:35
Oy Bob, Dont start with the meat thing. I have had some of my best carp doing that, not to mention that 17lb Snapper turtle, so we wont mention that. lol

But you are correct the stringer needle is perfect for anything that a needle can go through. Anything it cant go through I am not going to risk my fingers thanks, I will use a drill.

Andy

CarponlineEditor
06-02-2001, 16:37
Oh and on the subject of those really sharp needles, you know the ones with the lethal barb? Well after watching someone get his dad to pull it out of his butt and there was still a piece of his butt on the barb after it had been removed from him, I am not going to use one again. Blimey I still wince thinking about it now. lol

Andy

SAMR
06-02-2001, 18:25
the gardner ones are definately the best, cheap sharp and they just won't bend.
For tubing, check out hutchy's new tubing tool
Sam

alex
06-02-2001, 18:43
I use the Fox needle with the opening lip.

Rivercarper
06-02-2001, 19:22
Gardener Needles are my favourite but then I'm bias.

Crispy
06-02-2001, 20:33
Garnder needles for me too and I'm NOT biased, used them for 10 years plus.

CarponlineEditor
07-02-2001, 09:06
Blimey we will all be taking golfing brollies with us fishing soon just so we can blend in with the management lol

Andy

alex
07-02-2001, 19:58
Nice one Andy./images/forum/icons/smile.gif
Alex.

SAMR
07-02-2001, 20:07
Yeah yeah may look nice on you ian but i can get 3 gardner needles for the price of one of the solar ones.
Sam

alex
08-02-2001, 19:38
I think we should lay off Ian and his bright colours besides I own a solar needle as well.
Alex.

SAMR
08-02-2001, 20:13
OK sorry Ian (again)
no more stick from me now
Sam