PDA

View Full Version : The Million $ Carp

Gristy
19-02-2005, 23:06
Saw in one of the mags today that the american carp society is placing a 'bounty' of a million dollars on the capture of a record fish in the world carp championship.
The question is do you reckon that by offering a prize of this nature it will do any good for the treatment of carp over there, it will quite obviously raise the profile of the the sport, but after the barbaric treatment in the past can you really see the majority of people changing their opinions and treating these fish with the respect they derserve, i know theres one or two US anglers on here who's views on this would be very intresting to hear http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Personally after reading some of those articles on bow hunting etc i can't really see much hope, hopefully i'm wrong but when it comes do to traditions like these it's very hard to change a persons stance on the matter,
Anyone got any views?

karper
20-02-2005, 06:08
gristy i am an american carp angler and this is just my opinion.

it will do absolutely nothing for changing the opinions of the guys who slaughter the carp over here with bow and arrows. they believe it is thier right to do this and it is hard as hell to convince someone that just because they have the right to do something does not mean it is the right thing to do.

another thing you guys on the other side of the pond have to remember is that the only press carp receive over here is bad press. so everything you guys hear is bad . you will only hear about the negative articles and see the pictures of inbred fools with bows in thier hands standing over a pile of dead creatures(carp) who were killed for no other reason than because thier uncle/father told them "carps was bad". there is no positve press over here, yet hopefully. all of this has outsiders thinking all americans think carp are a waste of space in the water. this does reflect the overall opinion here in the states though. there are a lot of people over here who are "closet carpers". they will not say it out loud but they like catching carp and do see them as sports fish; it is like the old joke about fat chicks and mopeds. also there are a lot of american who have absolutely no opinion on them because it does not effect them; one of the major flaws of being born here. basically what i am trying to say is that not everyone over here hates the lowly carp.

what this million dollar prize will hopefully do here in the states is help a lot the "closet carpers" come out and help make a lot of people aware of the sport of carp fishing, national exposure. as for the inbreds we can only hope they only have brothers so that procreation can not take place.