PDA

View Full Version : Carp Fishing on French Rivers

Baitrunner
08-02-2005, 11:50
I am off on a 'family' holiday in May, and am going to try fishing a french river for the first time.

Can anyone tell me what I need to buy to fish i.e do I require a fishing licence, where will I buy one and the cost.

Presuming the stretch of river is fishable, are there any rules I should be aware of?

And finally can anywhere recommend somewhere I might be able to get 20kg of shelfies cheap????

Thanks for any help.

Woody69
08-02-2005, 12:39
Can you give a little more information about where you are actually going because as far as I am aware France varies greatly on the rules, but 1 min search on the web I found this:

You will need to buy a licence to fish for carp wherever you plan to fish publicly owned lakes and stretches of river. Private lakes are usually covered by a block permit, but this is not always the case. It's as well to check with the site owner or the guy who sells you your tickets if the national licence is also needed.

Permits are usually sold in nearby cafes, bars, the local post office and, of course, in tackle shops. What you must ask for is "UNE CARTE DE PECHE POUR LA CARPE UNIQUEMENT, S'IL VOUS PLAIT." By asking in this manner you make it clear that that you are fishing purely for carp. Remember the phrase and practice it before you enter the shop. If you can speak French, aim to stress that you have absolutely no intention of fishing for pike, zander and perch, nor do you intend using live or deadbaits. Make it clear, too that you do not want to fish for salmon or sea-trout. If you don't point these things out, your ticket will end up festooned with a myriad of colourful stamps that are completely unnecessary and it will end up costing you double what it should.

If you think that you may enjoy more than one trip in any one calendar year you should buy a yearly licence. However, most areas now offer a fifteen-day "carte de vaccances" (holiday licence) which is about half price.

A standard carte de peche and the stamp that indicates that you have paid the French fishing tax for one county area (known as 'une departement) will cost you approx. £36.00 and entitles you to fish all the public lakes and rivers within that county. You can also buy reciprocal stamps that allow you to fish the public waters in all the bordering counties. These cost just a few francs extra. I strongly recommend that you buy this additional stamp as it open up the fishing in more than half the departements in France. It is called the "Entent Haliautique et Grand Ouest". This entitles you to fish no less than 55 other departements throughout southern, central and north-western France. Excellent value for money. The areas that are not included in the Entent should be ashamed of themselves. Unfortunately they include some of the counties (departements) that are most popular with British carp anglers.

Baitrunner
08-02-2005, 17:36
Up in the hope of some more advice!

DecoyBoy
08-02-2005, 19:36
What River are you planning to fish?

There are plenty of shops around France, Megapeche stores and large supermarkets sell readymades, although they are not the May west.
'Fun Fishing' is the best brand out of the Cheapies, but I would recomend you take your own, and some quality air dryed food baits?

Plenty of 5 and 6oz watch leads, and big back leads are also recomended.