PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish in Winter

JohnnyBoy
03-02-2005, 14:26
Chaps,

Has anyone got any experience of lake crayfish in winter they would like to share i.e are they still as active as in the summer or are they more lethargic?
Just worried about what baits I can get away with if they aren't so active.
Cheers

Johnny Boy

Boffers
03-02-2005, 14:47
Most definatly not as active as the summer you should be able to fish with no problems but then again it has been mild........

marky_markw
03-02-2005, 14:50
A lake i used to fish had them in and from what i can remember their activity did slow down slightly in the winter and we were able to use softer baits, but did also use tigers as well. Still better to be safe than sorry.

Mitch
03-02-2005, 15:20
I asked a similar question a few weeks ago, as i've just started fishing a lake with crays in.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Most definatly not as active as the summer you should be able to fish with no problems but then again it has been mild........

[/ QUOTE ]

Only fished it the once so far, and every bait was getting hammered by the blighters, even fairly hard boilies. Within minutes of casting out the baits were getting attention from them no matter where in the lake we cast. The only baits that survived the night were boilies that had air dried for over 3 months, tigers and maize (and obviously rubber baits).

Gary.

SteveAllcott
03-02-2005, 20:15
Not as bad as rest of year but can still be a pain.
Saw a group of cormorants feasting on some big ones the other day,one after another they had, it was a nice sight.
Steve...

bivyman
03-02-2005, 23:51
Would it be best to have lots of particles/groundbait to keep them busy with your bait right in the middle of it all away from them?

Gemo
04-02-2005, 04:02
My local canal is stuffed with them .In the summer I found that balling it in with ground bait and particles seemed to keep the crays away. The tench and bream loved it though.

JohnnyBoy
07-02-2005, 10:56
Cheers for the replies. Just did two nights on the lake and the crays were still a real pest. The baits were whittled down so small I had a 6oz roach on what was an 18mm boilie!

Paulharris
07-02-2005, 20:18
Have you tried plastic fake baits? Other than that what i use now is a 20mm boilie that i keep in the airing cupboard indefinately! I kid you not. I put a baiting needle through around twenty to thirty of them and then they live on the floor of the airing cupboard. They go as hard as nails and believe me it works! Hope it's of some help.

Be Lucky,

paul.

Blank_reg
07-02-2005, 20:43
Try tying a piece of stocking (Hosiery, not PVA!) around the bait. Tie it off, cut the knot short and superglue it.

It works for poisson chat and as long as the crays are nibbling it and not crushing it with their claws I don't see why it shouldn't work for them too.

stainless
07-02-2005, 20:53
What about the clear stuff ( dont know the name) that you can put over your Boillies and Pellet Hookbaits to preserve them? would that not help?
sorry just throwing out an idea http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

TrampBoy
08-02-2005, 09:22
not in any way attempting to high jack the thread. But how do you catch them, I live in France now, and quite like the taste of them, I know you can convert a keep net, just dont know how?
Sorry for the SLIGHT change of subject, never know the answer may help you lads as well?! http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Boffers
08-02-2005, 09:42
Just go carp fishing and place your bait in the most hard to reach patch on the entire lakebed the sort that takes about 15 casts to get perfect but absolutely screams carp and I guarantee 100% crayfish will be all over it in seconds!

Smarts
08-02-2005, 13:28
Use a drop net....or make one from the end ring of the keepnet.

I found that meshed baits lasted....Oooo.....5 seconds longer than normal on my last 'winter' trip to a crayfish venue....
Alas....the mesh doesn't protect against the crushing power those little beggars pocess.

marky_markw
08-02-2005, 14:54
Have you tried air drying, then shrink tubing them? works for poissons, so it may give better protection from crays. http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif

JohnnyBoy
08-02-2005, 17:19
In the summer I have been using the Rap It shrink tubing which is really thin and have had some degree of success. Plastic baits have been hammered there this summer so I am giving them a wide birth at the moment.

Cheers for the ideas though, back on Rap It for me

Luffers
08-02-2005, 17:46
I would have thought you would simply want to avoid Crays full stop after your last experiance with them http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Trampboy - get an old chicken carcass bind some string around it (the old woolen style) lower into river / lake and pull up steadily after half an hour - hey presto Crays for BBQ ing http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif