PDA

View Full Version : Colnmere Fish???

Yappi
15-11-2001, 19:19
I saw Lewis mention on another post something about rmc buying or owning the fish in colnmere, and that netting has begun for them to be removed from there and put in an rmc water?
Is this ture Ian?
Sounds bl**dy good to me, where would they be stockd if this is/was to happen? How about the North, cant think of a better lake for them to go in really, and it would defintely get people back on there. The North will be brought back to its former glory, (although it wil never be the same without Baz).
Yappi

SAMR
15-11-2001, 19:40
I know that RMC were offered the fish but i'm not sure whats going on now..........
I think that if the fish were taken out of colnemere for whatever reason, they should be put into a big lake where there is very little angling pressure, and i don't think that they should be told where they have been put, keeping it secret if you like because everyone is going to flock to try and catch these fish if they are put into a fishable venue. Saying that, at the end of the day thats my opinion and i think that RMC could get shed loads of money if they put them somewhere and told the world about it.
Sam

LOUGHNANE
15-11-2001, 21:37
yappi,
i have to agree with SAMR on this one,u could be putting them at risk putting them into north lake-its not what their used to.they are used to a huge,unpresured water,which is extremely rich.
anyway,we're not sure RMC are gettin them yet.
*scott*

Hippy
16-11-2001, 09:14
They really should go somewhere huge, and unknown, preferably with no other carp. RMC must have somewhere?
Then again, it'd be nice if they would stay where they are, the ultimate challenge!

Ian_P
16-11-2001, 09:52
Post deleted by Ian_P

Yappi
16-11-2001, 15:46
I would rather fish for them in the mere, but if you abide by the rules, your not allowed to fish the mere.
If rmc buy them, then fair play, Im not moaning, because it gives you the chance to relax and enjoy fishing for them instead of having to sleep in the bushes etc.

DanCleary
16-11-2001, 16:16
there was a fish kill on this water early in the year, and a lot of the larger fish died. would rmc really want to take that risk with these fish? i doubt it.

Garth
16-11-2001, 16:19
Rumours Rumours

james
16-11-2001, 16:57
Is this the same water that Terry Hearn wrote about in his book??
James

Garth
16-11-2001, 17:01
It certainly is James

james
16-11-2001, 17:04
Ok, Wasn't sure.
Has the big one been out recently( the 48lb one)???
Thanks
James

jimshelley
16-11-2001, 19:15
hi,
iam shocked that anyone would take those fish ,as they are pukka boyz and are for who dares.if it werent for that w..... the teacher who sold them out, as he gave up carp fishing.personally they should stay there and not be restocked .theyve had enough this year with some of there m8s dying ,remember this spring.leave them be for who dares.
uncle jim.
KIR.

Tenchy
16-11-2001, 19:57
Too right Jim,leave em be.Only the close season that theyve got a prob with anyway...sssi...no trouble after the 16th June...no trouble.... apart from the stinging nettles,brambles,wild rose bushes,wierd animals and the fact that for much of the time the carp just dont appear to eat!
Tel

Garth
19-11-2001, 10:41
Exactly, leave alone!

they have grown to what they are in the lake they are in, and to move them would be a shame.

Leave the Mere as it is!

Lewis
19-11-2001, 10:48
Jim

Not often we agree anymore but...........it must be best (for her health) to leave her be in her proper home....

However, i just realised , does this mean you wont ever get a silverwings ticket if she does go in there??? (someone get me a ticket!!!!)

Klewless

PS theres been no greif on the carpark lake lately (like days of old) - wonder why???

Stick
19-11-2001, 11:20
Too right chaps, leave them in there.

yes, I couldn't agree more Lewis, the Car Park is back to normal for some "mysterious" reason.
Let's hope it says that way.

elvis
19-11-2001, 11:33
i think that they should stay put! fish of that size should be left alone in their established habitat and not be moved to another water. ive heard that quite a well know organisation was moving the fish????? but whoever is doing it should not be allowed to do so

jimshelley
19-11-2001, 12:38
lewis,
thats right, wonder why ? ,someones on ya case boyz.wink wink.
its amazing you aint got the guts to speak to me like that on the bank,s..t stirring as usual.
wait and see ?????????.
love
uncle jim.
KIR.

Lewis
19-11-2001, 12:57
Wink wink - check your pm's geeza -wink wink - errrr - wink wink - ?????????????

Klewless

Garth
19-11-2001, 13:10
Now then children!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lewis
19-11-2001, 13:12
Sorry papa!!!! not the cupboard again - please!!!!!!

Paul
19-11-2001, 13:53
Oh dear degenerating into another [censored] thread/site...

Crispy
19-11-2001, 14:08
Leave the mere fish where they are.

We should all put our efforts into rescuing the Sonning fish!

Crispy

Lewis
19-11-2001, 14:23
Which ones - perhaps we could get em all out - Deans farm / the Thames and return them to there rightful home - then set up machine gun posts all around Sonning and do anybody that looks like they wanna dig it - especially if they're wearing JCB's

Alternatively, we should roll over and accept that once again ANOTHER great water is gonna be adversly affected by the powers that be..........

scorpio
20-11-2001, 00:20
RMC have an excellent private message facillity,,,,, wink, wink, wink, wink.....

Markoncarp
22-11-2001, 16:40
Sorry Ian, you were right. Apologies, must of been out when this was first posted. I still stick by my first comment which is Jesus!

Id just like to know what can be done to stop these fish being moved?

Pricey
22-11-2001, 16:47
Sorry but some of the entries in this post are a little vague..

So are the fish definitely being netted (been netted) ?

Would have to say it would be a mammoth task as well as a shame

Can't really see it being worth the effort to them

Lewis
22-11-2001, 16:57
Eh - not worth the effort - have you seen the fish in there!!!!

Appparently English nature and Blenhem have attempted netting 'm twice now...........

shame that angling syndicate cant be sorted on the mere - that way everyone would be happy (as long as the anglers were considerate to other interested parties.....) oh in a perfect world.....

Klewless

Pricey
22-11-2001, 17:02
oh yes..they've been seen..
I meant not worth it too some muppet bureacracy to net em..mind you then again..

Did they succeed in their efforts ?..hope they drowned

Calvin
22-11-2001, 18:49
Don't know about the second netting but I believe the first yielded one small pike. Word I hear is they are going into Priory.

ps Anyone know who owns the hastily abandoned bivvy they spotted?

Garth
23-11-2001, 09:33
Leave em where they are, I would not want the Black Mirror to become a circuit fish, getting caught 3 or 4 times a year! Its an immaculate, stunning carp which should be respected and left alone!

DanCleary
23-11-2001, 10:37
Calvin, when did they find a bivvy?

Calvin
24-11-2001, 18:35
On the first netting, a few weeks back

DanCleary
26-11-2001, 16:26
ok, cheers.

sam
26-11-2001, 16:54
if they do get netted and moved, the *only* place for them to go would be wraysbury 1. its just across the road and shares the same water table. a good replacement for mary. the *only* replacement for mary.

i couldnt imagine if they were put in the north or the car park. they would make so many mistakes and get caught all the time. too much pressure from too many good anglers. not fair at all. at least in wraysbury one they would stand a chance. similar venue, same water, same food, same planes going over etc etc.

after all, we put mary in and he disappeared, apart from one capture at 28lb, until he was 43lb six years later.

failing that, dump 'em in the queen mother ressie!

**sam**

Garth
26-11-2001, 17:06
I reckon Wraysbury would be good, but the problem is when fish are placed in a lake they go on the 'Munch' and will get caught alot. I really don't want the 'Black Mere' to go the same way as the 'Royal' forty - A lovely fish, which gets hammered and now looks really tatty!

How about burghfield? Put the 'Eye' and the 'Black Mirror' in there! 2 50's and a mid 40 common - hhhhhmmmmmmmm

Sorry dreaming again!

Markoncarp
26-11-2001, 17:09
Garth. You probably know a lot more about these things than me from the sound of your posts, but if its true that these fish go on the munch when put into a new lake, how do you explain the K1 stockies that have been put in recently, hardly any of them have been out.

There are other examples but these are the most recent ones I can think of.

I agree that Wraysbury would be a great venue for them. Considering they WERE RMC fish in the first place.

ATB Mark

Garth
26-11-2001, 17:22
Good point Mark!

I don't really know to be honest! It may be to do with the fact that the stockies are virgin fish, ie have never been in a lake before, and have never seen bait or being fished for? I am not sure though! As Sam will tell you though K1 is a strange water!

Anyone any ideas?

LOUGHNANE
26-11-2001, 18:56
if RMC where to get them,a big lake it would have to be such as kingsmead island lake,wraysbury or burghfield.any others?

Yoda
26-11-2001, 19:05
I think they should be left where they are, and it is time that the angling bodies, english nature, and the rspb etc sat down and talked about how we can preserve these old gravel pits so that we can all benefit, and not end up in the situation we have now with colnemere and sonning.

LOUGHNANE
26-11-2001, 19:20
yoda,i agree but the nature reserve people are goin to argue that the fish were illegally put in and shouldnt have been!so what can the angling body do?
they dont want anglers on there and it seems the only solution is whats happing now-that way the 2parties might be happy if everything goes to plan.
what u think?

SteveAllcott
26-11-2001, 19:25
The remaining mere carp, could never go in a premier carp water, last winters floods gave the mere about 15 small tatty river commons , they have some kind of virus, this killed several big mere carp, some of the survivors did not look well for the first half of the year. BEST LEFT BE, not worth the risk to any established fishery.

LOUGHNANE
26-11-2001, 19:35
steve,
any carp caught this year?all the carp there special but did any of the big girl pass away?

Yoda
26-11-2001, 19:35
I'll tell you what I think, to many of these so called do gooder organisations are blinkered in there belief of the perfect world, well here's a scoop, "THIS WORLD AINT PERFECT" I wish it was but it's not, so they should get out of there lofty towers and work to making it a bit better for everyone, not just the flower lovers, or the bird watchers, but everyone including carp anglers, why are anglers always portrayed as the second class citizens of the countryside, I wrote to the BBC Countryfile program concerning Sonning, they never even had the decancy to reply, i'm sure they would have if I was talking about the possible loss of the second biggest oak tree, and not the second biggest carp. There must have been a way to resolve the situation at Colnemere, surely they could have made some swims and sold a limited number of syndicate tickets, or allowed fishing at certain times of the year when the plants are not in any danger.

spelling mistakes, should of concetrated more at school!

Hi Steve, have to speak to you soon.

SteveAllcott
26-11-2001, 19:47
A handfull of very big commons, the scaley mid 20 mirror, All witnessed dead, and sadly may be the linear. Leave it be. Like yoda says "you wont see me right". Whats the problem with that, its always been that way...

james
26-11-2001, 20:54
how big are very big commons?
how big was the linear then?
James

LOUGHNANE
26-11-2001, 21:35
JAMES,
THE LINEAR WAS 40+

its sad whats happening but if nothing can be done,is there anything positive to come of it?

RichardThompson
27-11-2001, 00:26
The scaley mid twenty, not the one which Alan Tompkins named Swiss Roll. That fish was gorgeous, probably the epitamy of English carp for me, as it was a home bred carp, hand raised from spawn from a Mere original.
The EA should leave the place alone, netting it will only cause more than necassary stress on the precious SSSI eco system around the lake. Practically breaking their own rules.
As in regards to Sonning how about getting a petition going, some positive action concerning this problem would be good. All I've heard so far is moaning, if you don't like something a local council is allowing bloody complain about it. If enough people complain, then an enquiry has to be done. Don't let them walk all over you. Be active, do something about it.

RT

Garth
27-11-2001, 08:49
Well said Steve, leave em be!

Its not worth the risk of losing the big girl by attempting to move her!

DanCleary
27-11-2001, 08:58
the linear was the one dave mallin had last year in weeklies, pukka fish, think the photo won him the gardner classic carp.

truelly all lovely fish, but should be left alone, if they are put anywhere it would probably be silverwings or wray2 as they are close, but I doubt rmc(wray2) will want them, big ? over there health. maybe silverwings wil take them, after loosing the pet?

who knows???

Lewis
27-11-2001, 10:29
Garth - thought i should correct you on the Royal Forty/tatty statement - I think you'll find that the lake really doesnt see that much pressure - the tatty condition of the fish (normally mid summeron to autumn) is more likely a consequence of the poor water qualty in the pond at this time - started agfter reconstructive work on the dam allowed lots of scalping dust (lime?) to be washed in the venue off the dam........ also at the same time the weed went missing - add to this the fact the nutty carp sqeeze through a 6inch gap between a sunken tree and fence........ last capture of the summer and she was a lake record so she cant be that bad now!!!!

Klewless

Garth
27-11-2001, 11:05
Lewis,
She still gets caught 4 or 5 times a year more than she used to, when she was an unknown fish! Not all those marks and blotches on her near deathly look, are down to anglers, but I bet some are!

Maybe the pale look was just down to that guys really nice bright green jumper - LOL

Dav
27-11-2001, 15:40
The big girl only came out once last year!! I think the reason shes been out three times this year (hooked five) is because of the stockies, they are certainly making her work for the food, which looks like a good thing, 'cos shes putting on the weight!!

I think on average, she comes out twice/ three times a year. I dont think thats a lot of captures, i think Bazils' average was six!!

Keep it real!!
DAVE

riverwhy
30-11-2001, 22:36
if carp anglers had been able to leave the water alone in the close season, & if a rare duck's nest hadn't been destroyed by someone's attempt to get at the carp during that time, then maybe the formation of a small syndicate might have gained some support from English Nature, & other bird watching groups... We were nearly there, until that happened.

jimshelley
30-11-2001, 22:46
riverwhy,
thats a shame .please enlighten us more to wot happened fella.
uncle jim.
KIR.
ps,aint got a ticket and never seen it apart from photos,yet(just for the record).

clogga
30-11-2001, 23:42
riverwhy,

please give us more information! these things happen and surely this could have been worked around. if a syndicate was formed things like this could be controlled?

Clogga

Billyo
02-12-2001, 01:25
nice to have to on board 'riverwhy'......

would you ever consider fishing for these fish again? (if, of course, you have in the past /images/forum/icons/wink.gif)

Bill.

LOUGHNANE
03-12-2001, 16:43
any more news on the netting?

riverwhy
04-12-2001, 08:46
years ago i used to train gundogs. We had a saying - it takes many months to train a gundog, but only a few moments to ruin one. The same could be said about negotiating with bodies who at best have no interest in angling or anglers, at worst are against them. When you spend months, or even years, trying to convince not one, but 3 of these organisations that angling can be beneficial to a water, that angling is not harmful to the environment, it only takes a few stupid actions to completely ruin that. That's what happened at Colne Mere. They just couldn't leave it alone in the close season.. it's all about greed & glory isn't it. Would anyone have fished Redmire in the close season? Would anyone have fished Savay in the close season when it had one? Or any other carp water for that matter.
BillyO asked if I would fish there again. The answer is no... but I'm sad that it could never be run as a proper syndicate - it could have been the best water in the country, one of the few real carp waters left..

Lewis
04-12-2001, 10:27
Interesting perspective - but considering there was never angling actually allowed i think the logic is how can it have a close season when there is no open season (like aying and yang thing geeza!!)!!!! Also i was always lead to believe the landowner would NEVER allow angling there again anyway

The main reason NOT to fish there is that they can and will prosecute you using the SSSI legislation that still enforces the March 14 to June 16 close on all SSSI venues (although i suspect it was drafted specifically for SSSI's that are open specifically to fishing.....)

Klewless

riverwhy
04-12-2001, 12:47
<<< but considering there was never angling actually allowed

that isn't true...

<<<i think the logic is how can it have a close season when there is no open season

and that logic is seriously flawed...

<<<Also i was always lead to believe the landowner would <<<NEVER allow angling there again anyway

not now they won't... they've had too much aggravation

btw.. watch out for that teacher.. he is very devious.. as some of you probably know

Lewis
04-12-2001, 12:57
Ooooh - handbags at 20 paces....(LOL)

Of course your right - it used to be on the Redland Angling scheme - but in my time span its always been a no no - next -

How is that logic flawed - easy to say but you havn't explained why???As far as im concerned the EA legislation say's its up to the land owner - i assume you have never gone against the landowners wishes and fished in the close or open season on there? and lastly.......

Don't you think they'd had enough back in the day when people where printing there own permits!!!!!!! and claiming they had permission...... we are all facing the consequences of actions prior (and including) more recent activity on the mere and it could be construed as short sighted to ignore all previous deceptions (activities)

Yours (more interested in the BTW bit....)

Klewless

Tenchy
04-12-2001, 15:56
That last paragraph was excellent Lew...nailed!!!

Fishboy
04-12-2001, 16:50
Byelaw 6 Coarse Fish Close Season

(d) "Specified Sites of Special Scientific Interest" means those areas which have been notified by the Nature Conservancy Council for England or the Countryside Council for Wales pursuant to the provisions of section 28(1) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and which are also listed in Schedule 3 to these Byelaws and shall include parts of areas which have been so notified if only parts of such areas are so listed.

(2) The annual close season for fishing for freshwater fish-

(c) in all waters in the Specified Sites of Special Scientific Interest and the Broads;

shall be the statutory period that is the period from and including the 15th day of March to and including the 15th day of June following.

(3) In all other waters there shall be no statutory close season for freshwater fish.

SCHEDULE 3 (BYELAW 6)

SPECIFIED SITES OF SPECIAL SCIENTIFIC INTEREST

In this Schedule a group of two letters and six figures identifying or associated with any point represents the map co-ordinates of that point estimated to the nearest one hundred metres on the grid of the national reference system used by Ordnance Survey on its maps and plans.

BEDFORDSHIRE

Felmersham Gravel Pits (SP991584)
Houghton Regis Marl Lakes (TL008235)

BERKSHIRE

Rapley Lakes (SU889653, SU901647)
Heath Lake (SU829652)
Swinley Park & Brick Pits (SU895675, SU905670)
Thatcham Reed Beds (SU507665)
Wasing Wood Ponds (SU578636, SU583633)
Wraysbury & Hythe Gravel Pits (TQ014737)****************************************

CAMBRIDGESHIRE

Fowlmere Watercress Beds (TL406454)
Grafham Water (TL150680)
Holme Fen (TL205895)
Little Paxton Pits (TL200637)
Stow-Cum-Quy Fen (TL515527)
Wicken Fen (TL555700)
Woodwalton Fen (TL230840)
Dogsthorpe Star Pit (TF213025)
Nene Washes (TL200977, TF395029)
Ouse Washes (TL393747, TL571987)

CARMARTHEN

Machynys Ponds (SS512980)
Bishops Pond (SN445209)
Laugharne and Pendine (SN290070)
Llyn Llech Owain (SN568152)
Llyn Pencarreg (SN537456)

CEREDIGAN SOUTH

Falcondale Lake (SN570499)

CLWYD

Llyn Creiniog (SH927652)
Hanmer Mere (SJ453392)
Llyn Bedydd (SJ471391)

DERBYSHIRE

Carver's Rock (SK330227)
Hilton Gravel Pits (SK249315)
Ogston Reservoir (SK376602)
Morley Brick Pits (SK389418)

DORSET

Frome St Quintin (ST585035)
Arne (SY966880)
Blue Pool and Norden Heaths (SY937833)
Chesil Beach and the Fleet (SY496885, SY683734)
Ham Common (SY981907, SY983914)
Hartland Moor (SY948855)
Holton Heath (SV946902)
Hurn Common (SU125015)
Lodmoor (SY688813)
Lulworth Park and Lake (SY861838)
Morden Bog (SY915910)
Norden (SY944837, SY950833)
Poole Harbour (Brownsea) (SZ022880)
Povington and Grange Heaths (SY890840)
Rempstone Heath (SY990849)
Sandford Heath (SY938902
Stoborough and Creech Heaths (SY933846)
Studland and Godlingston Heaths (SZ030845)
Talbot Pit (SZ063931)
The Moors (SY950870)
Thrasher's Heath (SY971838)
Warmwell Heath (SY755871, SY864874)

EAST SUSSEX

Ashburnham Park (TQ695148)
Ashdown Forest (TQ450300) - Pippingford Lakes only
Eridge Park (TQ576344)
Herstmonceux Park (TQ650107)
Pett Level (TQ903157)
Rye Harbour (TQ935180)

ESSEX

Glemsford Pits (TL840464)
Epping Forest (TL475035, TQ405865)
Abberton Reservoir (TL970180)
Colne Estuary (TM075155)

GLAMORGAN

Psygadlyn Mawr (ST168669)

GLOUCESTERSHIRE

Frampton Pools (SO753073)
Soudley Ponds (SO662112)
Cotswold Water Park (SU000930 - SU200990)

GREATER LONDON

Mid Colne Valley (TQ043896)
Brent Reservoir (TQ217873)
Denham Lock Wood (TQ055863)
Ruxley Gravel Pits (TQ474700)

HAMPSHIRE

Alresford Pond (SU593331)
Avon Valley (Bickton-Blashford) (SU150100)
Bramshill (SU766605)
Fleet Pond (SU822551)
Lower Test Valley (SU360153)
Shortheath Common (SU775366)
Southampton Common (SU415145)
Titchfield Haven (SU539035)
Warren Heath Ponds (SU769599, SU782588)
Castle Bottom to Yateley Common (SU815587)
New Forest (SU298081) - Hatchet & Cadnam ponds only

HEREFORD & WORCESTERSHIRE

Ashmoor Common (SO852467)
Bittell Reservoirs (SP018750) excluding Lower Bittell Reservoirs
Grimley Brick Pits (SO840605)
Hewell Park Lake (SP010690)
Upton Warren Pools (SO935672) excluding The Sailing Lake (SO913672)
Brampton Bryan Park (SO360716)
Berrington Pool (SO509630)
Flintsham and Titley Pools (SO318589, SO325595)
Moccas Park (SO341425

KENT

South Thames Estuary & Marshes (TQ770785) excluding Beckley Hill ponds (TQ717741)
Holborough to Burham Marshes (TQ712618)
Medway Estuary & Marshes (TQ850720) excluding Stoke Angling Club reservoir & sectionof the Delph Ditch (TQ835751) and Abbot's Court northern 2 lakes (TQ795723)
Oldbury & Seal Chart (TQ571558)
Romney Warren (TR085262)
Sevenoaks Gravel Pits (TQ522569)
Stodmarsh (TR222618)
The Swale (TR000670) excluding Murston pits southern 3 lakes (TQ931649)
Walland Marsh (TQ960240)
Dungeness (TR050180)
Marden Meadows (TQ762445)
Orlestone Forest (TQ982350)
Sandwich Bay (TR353585) excluding Cottington Lakes (TR357532) & Finglesham Ponds (TR340535)
Scotney Castle (TQ690350)

LEICESTERSHIRE

Blackbrook Reservoir (SK458174)
Barrow Gravel Pits (SK568166)
Buddon Woods & Swithland Reservoir (SK560145)
Cave's Inn Pits (SP538795)
Empingham Marshy Meadows (SK956093, SK957087)
Frisby Marsh (SK686174)
Groby Pool & Woods (SK521083)

NORFOLK

Didlington Park Lakes (TL777963)
Dillington Carr, Gressenhall (TF971158)
East Wretham Heath (TL910882)
Gunton Park Lane (TG221345)
Sea Mere, Hingham (TG035012)
Stanford Training Area (TL870940)
Thompson Water, Carr & Common (TL930955)
Wretham Park Meres (TL902918)
Westwick Lakes (TG273274) excluding Captain's Pond

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE

Higham Ferrers Gravel Pits (SP945686)
Pitsford Reservoir (SP780708)
Twywell Gullett (SP947775)
Yardley Chase (SP857540, SP841553)
NORTH BRECKNOCK AND WEST DINEFWR

Fforddfawr Mire (SO187401)
Dinefwr Estate (SN610223)
Llynoedd Talyllechau (SN631335), Lower/Upper Talley Lake

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE

Clumber Park (SK622744, SK643773)
Holme Pit (SK536345)
Rainworth Lakes (SK583583)
Thoresby lake (SK630703)
Welbeck Lake (SK580729)
Attenborough Gravel Pits (SK522341)
Misson Line Bank (SK715961)

OGWR BOROUGH

Kenfig Pool and Dunes (SS797815)

OXFORDSHIRE

Wychwood (SP335168)

RADNORSHIRE

Cwm Gwynllyn (SN945692), Gwynllyn
Llan Bwch - Llyn Lake (SO119464)
Pentrosfa Mire (SO059597), Pentrosfa Pool

SHROPSHIRE

Berrington Pool (SJ525072)
Bomere, Shomere & Betton Pools (SJ504078)
Brown Moss (SJ562395)
Cole Mere (SJ433332)
Fenemere (SJ445228)
Marston Pool, Chirbury (SJ296027)
Oss Mere (SJ565438)
Shelve Pool (SO335979)
Sweat Mere and Crose Mere (SJ434304)
White Mere (SJ414330)
Morton Pool & Pasture (SJ301239)

SOMERSET

North Exmoor, Pinkworthy Pond (SS770360)

SOUTH PEMBROKESHIRE/PRESELI

Stackpole (SR976945) Bosherston Lakes

STAFFORDSHIRE

Aqualate Mere (SJ770205)
Chasewater Heaths (SK039080)
Cop Mere (SJ802297)
Doxey & Tillington (SJ906245)
Maer Pool (SJ789384)

SUFFOLK

Benacre to Easton Bavents (TM537855)
Cavenham/Icklingham Heaths (TL755733)
Lackford (TL890710)
Lakenheath Poors Fen (TL701827)
Minsmere/Walberswick Heaths & Marshes (TM465662, TM465735)
North Warren & Thorpeness Mere (TM460594)
Sizewell Marshes (TM466638)
Stallode Wash, Lakenheath (TL675853)

SURREY

Ash to Brookwood (SU920540, SU956545, SU958555, SU945537)
Bookham Commons (TQ128565)
Chobham Common (SU973648)
Epsom & Ashtead Commons (TQ181602)
Godstone Parks (TQ353516, TQ360509)
Hedgecourt (TQ355403)
Langham Pond (TQ002721)
Ockham & Wisley Common (TQ082585, TQ084592, TQ078595, TQ070585)
Papercourt (TQ035563, TQ035569, TQ042565)
Puttenham & Crooksbury Commons (SU915464, SU890453)
Staines Moor (TQ040730)
Vann Lake & Ockley Woods (TQ156392)
Whitmoor Common (SU985535)
Thursley, Hankley & Frensham Commons (SU885405, SU915410, SU855405)

WARWICKSHIRE

Alvecote Pools (SK249050)
Brandon Marsh (SP385755)
Coleshill and Bannerly Pools (SP200860)
Combe Pool (SP392794)
Middleton Pool (SP190983)
Stockton Railway Cutting and Quarry (SP440650, SP444643) excluding The Big Quarry Pool
Ufton Fields (SP383615)
Ensors Pool (SP348903)

WEST MIDLANDS

Edgbaston Pool (SP054841)
Sutton Park (SP098974)
Swan Pool and the Swag (SK040019)
Fens Pool (SO920886)

WEST SUSSEX

Arun Banks (TQ029100)
Arundel Park (TQ015082)
Buchan Hill Ponds (TQ245343)
Burton Park (SU977177)
Cow Wood & Harrys Wood (TQ270299)
Ebernoe Common (SU977270)
Forest Mere (SU820300)
Shillinglee Lake (SU968311)
St Leonards Ponds (TQ200308)
Wakehurst & Chiddingly Woods (TQ334316, TQ348323)
Waltham Brooks (TQ025159, TQ021152)

WILTSHIRE

Coate Water (SU188820)

Lewis
04-12-2001, 17:11
Fish boy

I got the same info pack from the EA i reckon - must of taken you ages to type that lot out - we salute you - shall i check for typo's (hehehe)

Klewless

P.s. Is it me or does that lot mean the same as i was getting at.....
P.p.s Nice try Alan.... (LOL)

CashsShoes
04-12-2001, 17:16
Mr Fishboy

First prize for the reply people are least inclined to read.

Mr Shoes

BTW you'd never guess that was AT previously would you?

samstyle
04-12-2001, 19:15
which means that colnmere has a close season so anyone fishing it at that time is breaking the law, regardless.

LOUGHNANE
04-12-2001, 21:50
ye,lewis your sayin how can they have a close season when your not permitted to fish there??

CashsShoes
05-12-2001, 01:19
There really is an ECHO around here.

Tenchy
05-12-2001, 08:26
Strange that Priorys close season runs through the winter instead of the spring now...the result of a 3yr battle between Blenheim and English nature.Maybe the "rare ducks" nest at different times here to what they do at the Mere,or could it be that the "rare ducks" are only about in the winter.Dont think that any ducks nests were destroyed at all,otherwise EN wouldnt have give in and allowed fishing on Priory during the spring.In fact,EN actually requested that the close season on Priory be moved to cover the winter months INSTEAD of the spring.Cant think what rare ducks nest in this country either....i know of plenty that overstay,migrate through,whatever,but actually nesting here i dont think so.
What are we talking here...tufty and pochard were about all i ever saw,and most have them have returned back to Canada by April/May.Never saw any rare duck on the Mere through the spring months,and considering we were more dressed for the occasion than those silly birdwatchers ever was,turning up by the coachload and dressed like a load of mototway workers...how do they ever see anything at all!Besides,most have them have come straight from an office and couldnt tell a moorhen from a coot.
Tel

Garth
05-12-2001, 11:07
Why can angling be 'Allowed' on Wraysbury 1 & 2 and not the 'Mere' Ian? It it all down to the land owners?

Lewis
05-12-2001, 12:26
Ian

Do you know where we can peruse this info ( or even better any chancethat you can put up a link to the applicable EC website)

many thanks

Klewless

Lewis
05-12-2001, 12:41
I work for DEFRA (have done for years and years)!!!!!!!!!!!

will post link to info ASAP (if someone tells me how......)

Lewis

Garth
05-12-2001, 12:54
Go Lewis, Go Lewis!

riverwhy
05-12-2001, 12:56
Fishboy sent a long email that I think proves conclusively that CM has a close season. The logic that you are trying to apply to prove it hasnÂ’t got a close season is falseÂ… perhaps to ease your consciences? Perhaps some of you canÂ’t make the moral distinction between fishing a water in its legal closed season, & fishing it during the season. Maybe IÂ’m just old-fashioned - I still believe all waters need a break. That break was abolished for reasons of greed.. nothing elseÂ…

There has been fishing allowed since the Redland daysÂ… the water has had several different owners since then.. I've spoken with all of them at one time or another. Lew - if you knew it in Redland days then I presume you were at the meetings that were held to try & get the site protected when the threat of infilling was very real.. ???

Rare birdsÂ… if you never saw any rare (or perhaps it is more accurate to say unusual in the locality) birds over there then I can only assume that perhaps you too canÂ’t tell a moorhen from a coot, though I do sympathise with the point about mob-handed brightly clad birdwatchers, who caused more disturbance in half an hour than a few anglers did in a weekÂ… In my time there I saw little egret, bittern, hobbies, wheatear to name but a few. As for ducks.. you only saw pochard & tufties?? You must have had your eyes shut. The place was alive with ducks at times, the more common ones, plus goldeneye, smew, goosander, garganey, gadwall, wigeon, shoveller, teal, mandarin, ruddy duckÂ…
The reedbed that the garganey was nesting in was was decimated after someone decided to make a swim there.

I was in close contact with all the bodies concerned when I was last involved with CM, which was 4 or 5 years ago now. I had won English Nature over after 3 years of talking to them & meeting with them, & was on very good terms with North Surrey Water . From what they had told me (& I can only go on that) the formation of a syndicate looked a distinct possibility. I had convinced them that anglers actually cared for the environment, & this took some time. You can imagine, after all that careful negotiation, how I felt when the nest was destroyed, and someone started cutting trees down to make swims.. Then people started fishing there in the close season, (can we agree it has one? – it’s a legal thing, not a whim…) not just occasionally, but virtually full time & caused the (then relatively new) owners so much aggravation, getting them into trouble with English Nature, that they just gave up on the idea of allowing fishing altogether. Their main aim since then has been to take the fish out, not an easy task. Maybe I could have got things back on track, but it just seemed too much like hard work. Full time anglers were determined to continue to fish there in the close season, even if it was going to jeopardise the prospect of legal fishing there in the future. Some of these people even had the front to say how much they cared about the water! Ha! . How much effect the close season fishing had on the decision never to allow fishing there I don’t know – but I wouldn’t have taken the chance – it is a very special water, could have become a brilliant water if managed properly

Anyone who tackles Colne Mere for the right reasons, and respects the wildlife there enough to leave it be in the close season has my admiration (& I think there might just be one or two people like that??). It is a bloody hard water, in every possible way, though full-time fishing makes things easier, leaves little to chance in the end. When I say the right reasons, I donÂ’t mean just to get fish in the papers for a few more moments of glory. I can see why those people would fish there in the close season.. it would be a damn sight easierÂ… no weed to speak of, much easier to locate the fish, we almost used to hand-feed them in the close season, but we would never dream of fishing for them. Morals though, it seems, have gone out the window for the sake of dubious reputations.
I know IÂ’ve had some criticism for things that happened at CM, even been blamed for things that happened when I was nowhere near the place, but all I was trying to do was to get the various bodies to allow it to be fished, so it wouldnÂ’t be lost to fishing forever. That, I think, is a lot more constructive than the things that most of the other people concerned have been doing.
I even heard that anglers were still fishing over there when the fish were dying, still fishing for them – about sums it up really doesn’t it….

Not that it matters what I say, as, according to Mr Shoes no-one is going to read this anyway..

Pricey
05-12-2001, 13:25
I've read it mate and its a very difficult situation. while I can understand, to a degree, the desire to fish there at all costs, I agree that a lot of very selfish and unneccessary actions have ulitmately destroyed the potential of a very special place and the efforts by people such as yourself..

A very sad indictment of our sport today..as you say for all the wrong reasons.

Garth
05-12-2001, 13:38
Well put AT, I think the whole situation is rather sad, and I for one hope that things work themselves out like you, very genuinely, seem to want them too. Maybe you should try again; explaining the situation at present and explaining any rules would be adhered too on the formation of a syndicate.

I have never fished the 'mere', nor have any inclination to with the situation as it is. I have walked around on several occasions, and do recognise how special the place, and the fish are. I hope they are not lost!

Crispy
05-12-2001, 13:39
It seems to me the few have spoiled it for the many again, but I wonder what the TRUE facts really are, I can't imagine that the blessed few that have had the chance and the balls to fish it would have disresepcted the place on purpose, if at all, I don't think it's right to point the finger without hard evidence.

Mind you, who knows the truth about anything these days, when you hear some of the stories surrounding certain captures it does make you wonder, still, nothing to do with me, it would be a shame to loose the fish though.

Crispy
ECHO

Lewis
05-12-2001, 13:48
Al

I'm not here to argue your valid opinions (where all entiltled to them) but i will put another side of the debate across (wow ...wot an essay to repond to....)

Para 1 - the distinction i see between close season angling and non close season angling on say Savay Redmire etc is clear cut as angling is permitted/controlled on those venues......i would point out once again that there is NO angling permited on CM....how can it have a close season???? Also how many of the fish where actually caught in the old close season - very very few i thought

I do agree that in situations where fish recieve constant pressure then the Close season is a necessary recovery period for all the wildlife in/around a lake

Para 2 - If I could drive aged 7 i might have been there!!! (sad para m8......) I never knew it back then but i am aware it used to be on Redlands (which is what i thought i'd written)

Para3 - i think this is for Tel's response - i'm not a twitcher (or even close) although i try to appreciate the aesthetic pleasentries of our feathered friends.... therefore - no comment (if i did i'd have to make it up!!!)

Para 4 - I recall that you claimed to have a syndicate 'on the verge' back a few years ago (it never happened and in fact i spoke to the EA and EN and both lots virtually laughed me off of the phone.....) . We always assumed your ploy was that we'd all think we had to lay off or you wouldn't let us in your syndicate (if you do get one going can i get in please.....).

Wasn't it around this time 'someone' showed the EA where all the swims where?? (who then hacked great big paths to all the swims causing disgusting damage to the bankside??)..........

I strongly agree that anyone destroying vegitation and/or damaging the ecosystem around lakes should be banned from angling full stop FOREVER........

i think that people try to blame individuals for situations contrived through the build up of a negative set of circumstances..... this seems to be one of those occassions.

I know when people i knew where dangling on there (i havnt visited there for a numberof years now) we would make a point of keeping the place tidy - picking up other users rubbish ( and sh**)....you see we ADHORED the place too....it really is very special.....obviously not everybody has fully appreciated what it is there (ie if they have inflicted the aforementioned bankside vandalism....) but for you to imply we didn't care for the lake is misleading - The fish in there are to quote a tired old phrase 'Jewells in the crown of English Carp angling' - i believe thats were you confuse self centred ambition ('sake of dubious reputations....) and the desire to capture what are some of the most magnificent fish anywhere......

As for myself, i would dearly love to go back one day but after the raids etc it all seemed all a bit to clicky....

respectfully

Lewis

DanCleary
05-12-2001, 13:59
could maybe we bring this subject to a close, because you guys are blaming a FEW people who you do not know and do not have the correct FACTS either.

You guys seem to think that a few guys were fishing on there this season, including spring, and cutting the place to bits - wrong is all I will say

how many people do you KNOW have been dangling a line on said banks, without naming of course?

Lewis
05-12-2001, 14:04
I CAN CATEGORICALLY STATE THAT MY RESPONSE DOES NOT HAVE ANY BEARING ON ANYONE WHO'S FISHED THERE THIS YEAR - MAINLY COS I AINT BEEN THERE FOR AGES - AND IM SURE THATS NOT WHAT ALAN INTENDED EITHER.....

PLEASE LEAVE THE THREAD OPEN AS I FOR ONE HAVE FOUND IT VERY INFORMATIVE AND INTERESTING

LEWIS

Garth
05-12-2001, 14:10
I agree, but it also seems to me you are both fighting the same cornor. Lewis if you work for DEFRA, and AT you have made all the relevent contacts before why not join forces and try and do something constructive. I would also be willing to do whatever I could as would many other anglers!

DanCleary
05-12-2001, 14:12
lewis, i didn't say to close the thread, just change the topic some what. You all seem to be trying to lay the blame, but you don't seem to no where to lay it.

Lewis
05-12-2001, 14:14
How about it Al - i'd be more than happy to help you out - even if it was just doing letter writting or somefing similar..

Lewis

i promise i only fished there a few times and never caught anything anyway.....LOL

Lewis
05-12-2001, 14:22
Dan: I will reiterate a point i made in my earlier contibution........

<<i think that people try to blame individuals for situations contrived through the build up of a negative set of circumstances..... this seems to be one of those occassions.>>

I thought we where openly discussing the historical events that have lead to the current situation...not conducting za witch hunt...
Chilling

Lewis

Garth
05-12-2001, 14:24
Dan, I think the subject is both interesting and informitive, and if anything good comes out of it then it will have been worth it!

There you go Al, cards are on the table, and I would also love to help!

CashsShoes
05-12-2001, 15:39
>Not that it matters what I say, as, according to Mr Shoes no-one is going to read this anyway..

On the contrary Mr T., your reply was most informative unlike the one that reproduced irrelevant facts that were outside the bounds of this discussion. It seems that a number of people have read you view point.

Mr Shoes

Kroneys
05-12-2001, 22:28
It seems to me that AT seems to like to point the finger at everyone but himself.I seem to remember his articles in carpworld with pictures of his rods between the reeds ,which were a man made gap!Also talking of man made swims having fished on the mere myself i have seen evidence of bankside disturbance from the days of AT and JH.
As for anglinig while the fish were dying wrong again!The fish died prior to anyone fishing this past year.I removed and buried some of the originals that sadly died.It seems to me that you have had your day on the CM (and well published in carpworld too.) So stop moaning about whats been going on over there recently when you havent got a clue! Unless as i suspect you have inside information from the EA! You yourself say you would never go back, so why on earth do you keep harping on blaming anyone and everyone who has ever stepped foot on the mere apart from yourself and your mate who was the first to bring CM into the public eye and the EA's attention? So if you did not want other anglers to be walking the banks of CM you should have keept your trophy shots to yourself! I care very deeply about the mere and its fish, as do others.All i can say is that everything that you have heard has all been hearsay because how many anglers have you spoken to who are actually fishing over there ? You have not spoken to me !

riverwhy
06-12-2001, 09:45
<<It seems to me that AT seems to like to point the finger at everyone but himself.I seem to remember his articles in <<carpworld with pictures of his rods between the reeds ,which were a man made gap!

Not made by me though kroney - I only ever fished natural swims or in gaps that were already there. I can categorically say I NEVER cut down any reeds. . I know who did though. I had good reason to keep the place looking as if it wasn't being fished - like you probably...

<<Also talking of man made swims having fished on the mere myself i have seen evidence of bankside disturbance <<from the days of AT and JH.

From 5 years ago? Such as.. ? Remember, we weren't the only people fishing there in those days - the full-timers hadn't arrived, but there were other people fishing from time to time. And don't forget the teacher - remember what I said about him. Like I said, . I had good reason to keep the place looking as if it wasn't being fished.

<<As for angling while the fish were dying wrong again!

Only repeating what was told me by someone I consider extremely reliable.. but then I don't suppose anyone would admit to fishing for dying fish would they...

<<.It seems to me that you have had your day on the CM (and well published in carpworld too.)

Those articles were published when the water was known to all.. it made no difference. You seem to have read them, but you don't seem to have understood them. I never once named the water. It was spread by other people.

<<So stop moaning about whats been going on over there recently when you havent got a clue!

That's not what I'm doing.. I made just 2 points about recent events, the first the fishing for dying fish, the second close season fishing. You say the first didn't happen... hmmm... Are you saying the second didn't either?.

<<Unless as i suspect you have inside information from the EA!

I have no contact at all with the EA, & since I stopped fishing CM, none with EN, nor the owners.

<<You yourself say you would never go back, so why on earth do you keep harping on

excuse me, but I am not harping on - this is the first time I've spoken about CM for almost 5 years.. is that harping on? You seem to be raving on like a man with a conscience...

<<blaming anyone and everyone who has ever stepped foot on the mere

did I say I was blaming anyone & everyone? I don't think I said that. I even said that I admired people who fished it in season, for reasons other than glory & ego. I suppose though, that if there are none of those, then maybe I am blaming anyone & everyone...

<<apart from yourself and your mate who was the first to bring CM into the public eye

yes, that's what it takes isn't it, the capture of a big fish to bring a water to some people's attention. No thoughts of going out & looking for a water like that to fish it & to find out what's in there for yourself

<< and the EA's attention?

I wasn't the first to bring it to EA's attention, but I was the first to bring it to the attention of EN. If I hadn't it might well be a dumping ground for some very nasty materials by now.

Where were you then?

<<So if you did not want other anglers to be walking the banks of CM you should have keept your trophy shots to <<yourself!

You might note that I did exactly that, until the place was well & truly known. I had no control over what JH did.. he's a grown up. I didn't agree with him publicising the black mirror. He knew that. I was extremely secretive about CM, even with friends.

<<I care very deeply about the mere and its fish, as do others.All i can say is that everything that you have heard has <<all been hearsay because how many anglers have you spoken to who are actually fishing over there ?

Can you tell me what you mean by "everything"?

the reason I entered this thread was because someone asked the question why will they not allow angling on CM. I've answered that to the best of my knowledge, which is all I can do. I am going on what I was told by EN & the owners, with whom I probably had closer contact than anyone. With hindsight I do suspect the owners were leading me up the garden path in order to get my assistance. I'm not very happy about that.

Whatever you think, the biggest thorn in the owner's side has been the close season fishing. But you wouldn't do that I'm sure, caring for the water as you do...

<<You have not spoken to me !

I have now

Paul
06-12-2001, 10:18
About 10 years ago, I was told of a small lake in Sussex which had basically not seen a angler's line until a year earlier when a friend of mine re-discovered it. A loverly water not much more than an acre in size with a stock of classic looking mirrors. Not monsters; upper doubles being the biggest, but quiet fishing. An abundance of wildlife including badgers, deer, snakes etc,. We respected the lake by using one rod each, no buzzers and sensible. Totally overgrown banks, all you could wish for.
That was until another carp angler stumbled on the place, then it was four rods bivvy...you know the score. Soon the undergrowth was being hacked down, bare mud baths appeared on the banks, line strewn from lily bed to lily bed. Litter left in the bushes, and then his mates turned up and appointed themselves ballifs!
Like CM there was no official fishing, unfortunately modern day carp fishing lacks any morals, the desire to catch fish at all cost and the lack of respect for other anglers is common place.
On another thread there is an argument over who deserves to win a cup and who doesn't. Words fail me...
Unfortunately modern day carping doesn't lend itself to common sense, I expect almost every angler problem than Ian has to deal with concerns a carp angler. I don't know the answer...all you can do is move on and smell the roses along the way.

Pricey
06-12-2001, 10:37
Nice post Paul and too true i'm afraid..

Its always good to know that such pockets of tranquility do exist, and always will (especially in the North)..but sadly yes, some are spoilt..

I think the problem with CM basically is it is too close to the "circuit" waters where it appears the essence of carp fishing has been lost and replaced with a level of driven competitiveness and glory seeking where it appears the welfare of fish and their environments, more often than not, are not the primary concern.

Regretably CM has been such a casualty..but attempting to make scapegoats of individuals will not turn back the clock..

riverwhy
06-12-2001, 13:11
hi Garth

<<I agree, but it also seems to me you are both fighting the <<same cornor. Lewis if you work for DEFRA, and AT you <<have made all the relevent contacts before why not join <<forces and try and do something constructive. I would also <<be willing to do whatever I could as would many other <<anglers!

I think it's all too late now... AAMOI how many fish are left there anyway? Have any of you caught or seen any lightly scaled Leney type fish that would be around double figures?
Which fish actually died? Has anyone seen the BIG common? I don't mean the 40+... I mean MUCH bigger......

Pete
06-12-2001, 13:20
I was always under the impression the 40+ (Dave Mallin caught) was 'the' big common??

Pricey
06-12-2001, 13:21
Riverwhy,

Check your PM

riverwhy
06-12-2001, 13:31
no that was probably one of the 30's i had years earlier.. the BIG common almost certainly weighed 50+ in 1990, maybe even bigger...

anyone seen it? Maybe it died.. the biggest mirror died about then..

Pricey
06-12-2001, 13:35
Mate..

Do you know how to check your private mail ?.

LOUGHNANE
06-12-2001, 13:40
riverwhy,
why dont u give us a list of the fish that were in it.....a brief history so to speak.about the big common and the big mirrror that died?
cheers*scott*

Pete
06-12-2001, 14:23
I must just say, regardless of who is right and who is wrong on this thread, I thoroughly enjoyed the Carpworld series you did Alan, one of the best I've ever read. I think most of us harbour the hope of one day finding our own undiscovered place, complete with fish of mythical proportions. We rely on those intrepid few to give us hope!!

DanCleary
06-12-2001, 14:37
i think there is only three mirrors left, not sure on the commons. quite a few died.

riverwhy my comments about people on this thread blaming people in regards to the nest, was not aimed at you. I still think that it's probably the dog walkers as there is more of them than anglers walking around the water. oops forgot to say that one of the local dog walkers like to carry a pair of cutters!

Dav
06-12-2001, 14:54
I have to agree pete, i also enjoyed the articles. They were some of the first i read (still got them in the bedroom infact). Even then, when i was about 14 i wanted to know what lake it was. Definately had an effect on me becoming a carp angler!!

Keep it real!!
DAVE

Shep
06-12-2001, 16:22
Totally agree with you Dav and Pete, the articles AT did in carpworld were awsome - I remember at the time dying to know what the water was, but this was all before the internet grapvine. - Shame Carpworld has nothing of that sort of calibre in it these days.

By the way IMHO though the topic is sad this has been the most interesting and informative thread there has been on the forum I reckon. - gripping stuff.

Shep

Pricey
06-12-2001, 16:29
I personally found a Leney common dead (around 20-25lbs) earlier this year around March time..however was present on a weekday during July/Aug when I had the plesaure of seeing around 11 fish including 30+ commons...that said I have yet to see the black mirror, Linear or big common

I recently spoke to an angler fishing this water who claims to have pulled out a dead common that was 38-39 pounds..extremely dark..which he said looked much bigger in the water..

I hope this isn't the fish you refer to.

I myself have never fished this water but take pleasure in frequently visitng and observing its inhabitants..its just nice to be there.

Kroneys
06-12-2001, 21:12
No, you haven't spoken to me and you say you haven't visited CM in 5 years but you seem to have all the answers from your "reliable source". If your source is so reliable that he knows all that is going on over there - why do you need to ask everyone else what originals are still left? Does your source really know what he is talking about or is it, as I suspect, someone just trying to stop anyone from angling on CM.

It is easy to say that you only brought CM up because you were asked but if you had been asked when you were angling the water I am sure you would not have made any reply. Now it will only affect others and not yourself, you appoint yourself "Guardian of the lake". If you are that concerned - stop drawing attention to it. Don't fool yourself that not naming the water doesn't encourage people to walk the bank and break the trees while they are tryjng to see what is going on. Your righteous concern comes a little late; good articles - maybe, harmful - definitely.

You may believe I am "raving" but those who know me would tell you that I am only like this when it is something I feel strongly about. Mad - just as much as anyone who angles CM maybe, raving - no.

Just to show you I'm not all bad, I will fill you in where your "reliable source" could not. The big common that you talk about is long gone but, in any case, was not as large as you thought. The common that Dave caught was one that you caught, as I can tell from your pictures, which is still a low to mid 30 common but was a little spawny at the time.

riverwhy
07-12-2001, 08:34
Pricey.. re PM... that's my home address.. I don't check it that often... I'm at work right now.. you can get me on [email protected] if you want

riverwhy
07-12-2001, 09:41
<<<No, you haven't spoken to me and you say you haven't visited CM in 5 years but you seem to have all the answers from your "reliable source". If your source is so reliable that he knows all that is going on over there - why do you need to ask everyone else what originals are still left?

Which proves I donÂ’t have all the answers, so you are wrong arenÂ’t you. I never said I did.
Are you not also being a little naïve? Just because someone hears or even sees that people are fishing while the fish are dying (and I KNOW they were… they were seen, and someone has already talked about an angler finding what sounded like a recently dead fish while he was fishing over there) it doesn’t mean to say he would know exactly what fish were in there. It takes a little longer to see that than it does to establish whether someone is fishing there, or at least it does me. Maybe you are better than that, in which case, my compliments.

<<<Does your source really know what he is talking about or is it, as I suspect, someone just trying to stop anyone from angling on CM.

That is ridiculous. How would reporting that anglers were fishing for fish when they were dying stop people fishing over there? Seems a funny way to go about it. The people who want to fish it do so, it seems.

<<<It is easy to say that you only brought CM up because you were asked but if you had been asked when you were angling the water I am sure you would not have made any reply. Now it will only affect others and not yourself,

ErrÂ… me bringing it up? I seem to recall there were about 50 posts on this thread before I even got involvedÂ…

<<< you appoint yourself "Guardian of the lake".

[censored] - I donÂ’t have any interest in it since the full-timers & glory hunters, ever keen to be seen in the weeklies with their latest trophy, got on there.. Everything I did was in consultation with the owners & EN, to try to get legalised fishing there. DonÂ’t you think that would have been a good idea? I put enormous effort into that. Have you tried? If so, what have you done? IÂ’m doing nothing now, except talking to you people, explaining what happened. And that because someone asked.

<<<If you are that concerned - stop drawing attention to it.

Was it me who put you onto CM?
As I said, there were plenty of postings on this thread before I got involved.. It isn’t me that’s been putting fish in the papers the past 5 years or so – how about you? Don’t kid yourself that people don’t know where they come from. How about TH’s book? Are you having a go at him too?

I see you didnÂ’t answer my question about close season fishing.
Nor did you tell me where you were when the lake was under serious threat of infill.

<<<Don't fool yourself that not naming the water doesn't encourage people to walk the bank and break the trees while they are tryjng to see what is going on. Your righteous concern comes a little late; good articles - maybe, harmful - definitely.

More [censored]! You think people didnÂ’t know about it by the time those articles appeared, when people like TH, DM, SA were fishing it, to mention but 3Â… if you think that you are living in cloud cuckoo land - probably spent too much time on the mere ;-) Many well known anglers have been aware of the lake for years, some of them fished there, but not for long. You will no doubt appreciate why. Some of them even put fish in there.

<<<You may believe I am "raving" but those who know me would tell you that I am only like this when it is something I feel strongly about.

Come out from behind that pseudonym then maybe we can judge. You all know who I am, I made that pretty obvious – a 3 year old could have guessed it.

<<<Mad - just as much as anyone who angles CM maybe, raving - no.
Just to show you I'm not all bad, I will fill you in where your "reliable source" could not. The big common that you talk about is long gone but, in any case, was not as large as you thought.

I don’t believe you ever saw it. If you had seen it you would know that it was as big as I thought. If anything my estimate was conservative - that fish was nearly 4 feet long – I only saw it once, from about 2 feet away.

Those articles – they were written to try to inspire people to go out & find other Colne Meres, to look for their own uncaught monsters. Not to jump on the Colne Mere bandwagon after the hard work of other carp anglers. Are you going to condemn every angler who has ever written about a lake with carp in it? The story was worth telling. I judged myself to be in pretty good position to do so. People were interested. To those who enjoyed the articles and have been kind enough to say so, thank-you.
I am not trying to be a “guardian of the lake” a quote you borrowed from TH. I am merely trying to point out that the close season fishing has done the anglers cause great harm in the eyes of EA, who really pull the strings there. That is what they told me anyway. I can honestly tell you that after a long time trying, & many many consultations & phone calls, even visits to the water with them, that they were impressed enough by what I had to say that I got them to agree to allowing controlled fishing over there. That is the truth – it only remained to convince the owners, but at that point things started going wrong, for reasons I’ve already outlined. Whether you believe that I don’t really care – I know what happened – I was there.

I have respect for anyone who tackles CM, though a little less for those who do so in the close season. They are, mostly I think, anglers I could be friends with. But if you want to make me an enemy for trying to save what could have been one of the best waters in the country so that people could fish it without looking over their shoulders all the time, then that is up to you.

riverwhy
07-12-2001, 13:00
sorry... last paragraph should have read EN (English Nature), not EA... makes quite a difference...

harvey
07-12-2001, 14:43
This thread just about sums up why I am getting increasingly dissillusioned with the bounty hunter direction carp fishing is going in.

Anyone I have ever had correspdence with regarding Blackwater the Secret Pool, agrees that it was and still is, one of the finest pieces of angling journalism to appear in any magazine. To see AT savaged on here, along with the bitterness eminating from the thread, is appalling and very very sad indeed.

I remember AT saying that big Roach were a species he was being increasingly drawn to. It's hardly suprising reading some of this lot is it.

Crispy
07-12-2001, 15:04
I agree with you there Harvey.

I'm glad I can disappear to my new water next year and get away from it all.

Crispy
ECHO

DanCleary
07-12-2001, 15:12
have to agree Harvey, those articles were great, and big pity we haven't really had any articles of that quality since, and one of many reason why I don't purchase that particular magazine anymore.

Eric
07-12-2001, 15:41
This thread really does show how low carp angling in the UK can go and why I was not sorry to leave it behind.

I will agree with others, in that Alans series of articles on Colne Mere were the best things published in many a year, I would like some one to point out some better ones.
More worthy of Warterlog than Carpworld.

Eric.

Pricey
07-12-2001, 15:43
I would love to read these articles..can anyone help ?

Ads
07-12-2001, 15:54
also would like to read them again now, can anyone advise Carpworld no's to save time.

Thanks

Ads

andyd
07-12-2001, 16:28
I'm sure AT would be able to confirm but from what I can remember I think it was serialised over 5 articles that started around October 99, no idea of the C'world numbers.
It was these articles that stimulated my desire to go Carp Fishing again after a break of 15 or so years.

Eric
07-12-2001, 16:31
I think they were early '99 and ran in 6 parts.
Don't know the numbers as I cut them out and threw the rest of the drivel away.

mike_willmott
07-12-2001, 16:48
Credit where it's due - not only good substance to write about but a very gifted writer to write it. AT, I can remember you telling me about Tim's reluctance to publish the articles in question, if you remember I was most surprised. Perhaps Tim (being very shrewd and I don't blame him in his position) realised how much controversy they may cause at a later date - but then again, perhaps all the more reason to publish them! Who knows?

CM .... A very special place indeed, not many left but believe me, there is one or two. Personally, I sympathise with AT on the whole subject and I don't blame him for trying to protect his own fishing (and put others off) during his time. Perhaps we're all a little guilty of doing this over the years. However, I can also understand the attraction from other anglers wanting to fish the place, many of whom I consider as friends. To me, the closed season is still the big grey area in this whole debate though, but unfortunately, ethics and morals, just like beauty, are in the eye of the beholder and can be shaped to suit.

It appears that everyone wants to achieve the same goal here, what a shame it's too late to start pulling in the same direction.

Garth
07-12-2001, 17:09
Right, if I found a water with the stamp of fish in CM, I would do everything in my power to both protect it and keep it quiet. I don't believe there is one angler who reads this that would not do the same. AT was just protecting his fishing, his paradise.

To me it does seem strange. AT fished the lake for all those years, along with JH and as far as I can establish there was no trouble. No problems with anglers being arrested, no close season fishing, no netting, no fish dying in numbers etc etc

Why are they all happening now? Is it because of a small minority of thoughtless anglers? I bet it is! In every aspect of the sport you find them. They leave litter, have no respect and generally p*is people off.

The fact that fishing is not allowed, full stop, on CM means that unlike normal, these idiots can not get away with it. Now before I get slated, I know it is not all the anglers fishing there, but 1 is enough.

Its a shame to say, but the anglers have ruined it for themselves. Whichever was you look at it. One angler or ten, especially on a water with no fishing, doing something wrong ruins it for everyone.

Tenchy
07-12-2001, 18:26
Riverwhy,when i first started it was during the open season,summer time,and you flipped...remember.Not that i blame you - after spending some time on there i understood exactly why you were so protective about the place,i got pretty protective myself.....I was about to say its strange what a fish can do to you,but in this case i think its the lake.The Mere is a very strange but special place.
For what its worth i used to try my hardest to make it look as if nobody had been there,and that meant making sure that no damage was done to any of the trees,reedbeds,shrubs,etc.I even used to put pebbles over my bankstick holes before leaving(sure you still found em a few times...).
I absolutely loved the place and would have never caused any damage.I wrote about the destroyed areas of brambles i saw in my book and it seems that
the teacher was the one .We created so little disturbance that he felt it necessary to make a few swims of his own,cutting paths through the bushes/ brambles and destroying birds nests in the process,just to make the lake appear heavily fished.Now that is sad.
On the birds front....im afraid im nowhere near as clued up as you Al,but i did see plenty of unusual ones,and often saw the hobbies chasing moths towards evening time.Unfortunately i found one on the path one morning,still alive,but obviusly in a state of shock.Couldnt find any visible damage but i suspect it had hit a tree branch whilst on the wing.Found the nearest birdwatcher,gave it to him and he took it away somewhere.
Think i was probably there at the wrong time to see all those species of ducks,although ive got to admit i would have only recognised half of them( nice 1!).Did you ever see the stoats...once watched one catch a rabbit in the long grass by the snaggy point,pucka stuff!
How about the close season move for Priory.....strange isnt it....i mean,surely it shares the same bird populations as the Mere and Wraysbury 1 and 2. Wraysbury 1 falls into the same sssi category as the Mere so i dare say that it has a similar bird population,seem to remember it being open the spring i spent on the Mere though................
I think that if you was to ask EN when the Meres close season is they would tell you that it has a permanent one,lasting all 12 months of the year - there is never an open season.
Like you say Al,you saw lots of unusual birds during your visits to the Mere-even though most of your visits were during the open season??? When you saw those unusual birds did you feel as if,sat there quietly like you was,that you were disturbing the birds with your presence.....i for one didnt.The Meres close season runs all year round as officially no fishing is allowed on there full stop.Being realistic,i doubt if its possible to visit the Mere at any time of the year without coming into close contact with something or other thats rare or unusual,be it a feathered friend,a moth,an orchid or even a snail...........but we all did it.
Respectfully,
Tel

riverwhy
07-12-2001, 19:42
First, Mike, Tim was never reluctant to publish those articles, on the contrary, we almost fell out because I wouldn't write them! What he wanted though was a 2 parter. How could you do that with a 2-parter? I couldn't agree to that - it had to be on my terms or not at all. I think JC had got more involved then & I think the length of each piece surprised even him (average about 5500 words per article I think¡K)

<<<Riverwhy,when i first started it was during the open season,summer time,and <<<you flipped

Hi Tel - I guessed you were Tenchy¡K you've been getting about a bit. Congrats on all the fish even if you are a full-timer.. :-) ...

Yes, I remember alright, as well as I remember our first meeting after I noticed you watching me from the first swim as I was putting a marker out on a hot spot. Sh*t myself I did.. :-) I just put the rod down sat on my bag & pretended I wasn't doing anything much, remember? And you saying you were just looking around, with a bloody great bag of hemp in your hand :-) I hope you noted I paid you respect in the series. Oh yes, someone showed me your book some time ago - loved the cartoon, me & my dog :-)
Anyway, the following morning I hooked and lost 2 carp in 2 hours - never fished it again¡K And of course I remember the next meeting, you & Dave Mallin, you trying to hide, DM standing out like a pig's head at a muslim banquet! Well, you know why I acted that way. I'd stopped fishing it - the owners had said if it was kept quiet there would be a good chance of legalised fishing. Anyone going over there was going to jeopardise that. I was desperate to get the fishing, & whatever you think, would have called you if I had¡K but you wouldn't have been allowed to full-time it. :-) (anyway, how come you're not out fishing now????). People think I was only trying to get the water for myself. That's untrue. I'd had 5 years on there, I was about ready to walk away, but I knew the tremendous potential of the water. I didn't want it lost to fishing forever. I wanted it in good hands. You know how the place gets in your blood. I've since realised that the owners were stringing me along. They were telling everyone something different it seemed. They drove me mad!

<<<For what its worth i used to try my hardest to make it look as if nobody had <<<been there,and that meant making sure that no damage was done to any of the <<<trees,reedbeds,shrubs,etc.I even used to put pebbles over my bankstick holes <<<before leaving

:-) I used to do exactly that

<<<I absolutely loved the place and would have never caused any damage

I know that. I really don't believe anyone who I met over there would cause any damage (except.. I'm 99.9% certain that reedbed with the nest was flattened by an angler. I know who too) but anyway, that nest aside, I think people can be over-sensitive about these things sometimes. It really wouldn't have hurt to trim a branch here & there. I'll tell you a story about the teacher¡K this is what he allegedly did when someone had set up a small watersport centre near his home, which, of course, he objected to. Allegedly he went there often and found piles of rubbish, which he allegedly reported in order to get the boaters thrown off. This went on for some time, & when eventually someone checked through the rubbish, amongst it they found, allegedly, several empty used envelopes with his name & address on¡K (sorry about all the allegedly's - can't be too careful can you.)

<<<.Did you ever see the stoats...once watched one catch a rabbit in the long <<<grass by the snaggy point,pucka stuff!

Yes, stoats, but more weasels than stoats. What about the black beast? Did you see that? I don't mean the carp. I had a tame mouse in one swim. I called him Boris. I used to feed him in winter, and take food for the birds. You don't see the birdwatchers doing that do you.

<<<How about the close season move for Priory.....strange isnt it....i mean,surely <<<it shares the same bird populations as the Mere and Wraysbury 1 and 2. <<<Wraysbury 1 falls into the same sssi category as the Mere so i dare say that it <<<has a similar bird population,seem to remember it being open the spring i <<<spent on the Mere though................

No idea mate - don't know anything about Priory. Haven't read a mag. or angling paper for many years. I still have some quiet places, so I don't bump into many anglers either. But as you well know, I believe strongly in having a close season for all waters. There is just so much pressure on the fish now - can't we all give a little back, show a bit of appreciation and respect by giving them a break?

<<< Like you say Al,you saw lots of unusual birds during your visits to the Mere-<<<even though most of your visits were during the open season???

Remember, I fished it in the winter too - you know I wouldn't have fished there in the close season. You want to try it there in mid-winter!

<<<When you saw those unusual birds did you feel as if,sat there quietly like you <<<was,that you were disturbing the birds with your presence.....

No. not at all, there was an over-the-top reaction to that, stirred by birdwatchers, who you well know created more disturbance than we did. You know, some of the best nature reserves in the country are the big estates that are preserved for shooting. But we are up against a Joe Public full of nouveau-greens, namby-pamby people who have turned to the countryside because they suddenly find they have some free time; turned to it, but they will never understand it. Throw up their hands in horror at the thought of a pheasant being shot, then go home to their dinner of factory farmed cows. Anglers will always suffer from those people - they might even win in the end, force us all onto sterile fisheries so soul-less, or with rules so prohibitive they won't be worth fishing. . But OT or not, if I wanted to get the fishing on CM, I had to take notice. In the end, you lot beat me.. I gave up.

Anyway, good to hear from you - I'm going now, to get my roach rods ready for tomorrow - oh - overnight frost again - great!

Atb

Alan
oh yes,some of you were asking where you could see those articles, I suppose you could pressure TP to reprint them.. I might get some money out of it - I could do with it! :-)

Paulharris
07-12-2001, 21:01
I've never seen Colnemere let alone fished it but i have a friend who happened to be fishing Yateley for Bazil the same time as me. He was watching Bazil, maybe two or three years ago? (not sure) and later the same day was over the mere and saw the Black mirror. He SWEARS to me and i do believe him as he has never exagerated a tale that i know of before that this big common was in there for sure and as Alan says was some size, every bit as big as the Black mirror and believe me it wasn't just once he saw it!
Such a shame this special place looks like it's history has changed forever. You couldn't help but not be inspired by your articles on there Alan, and i thought Terry your chapter on the Mere was probably the best in your book.
Regards to you both.
Paul

junglist
07-12-2001, 21:37
I too have never seen colne mere and have only read about it in Tels book. If everyone is genuinely interetsed in the fishes welfare perhaps we as carp anglers should hold our hands up and say okay we will leave the lake in peace, because it is ours actions that have forced the mere to be netted which is going to put so much strain on the beautiful old fish.
They should be left there to live out the rest of their lives.
I have, however really enjoyed reading this thread on one of the most historical carp waters in recent times and would love carpworld to reprint AT's series. If not could the series be brought back to life on this site so everyone can read them ???

Junglist

Tenchy
07-12-2001, 22:10
Hi ya Al.Glad you liked the cartoon!
Love the story about the teacher,sounds about right,maybe he was the "phantom dumper" - reckon he used to place bog roll on top of his dogs poos so as to make it look like the anglers.
I only remember seeing the one stoat myself as it goes....stuck in my mind though.Like you say,plenty of weasles...noticed how common theyve become recently...maybe its just me but they seem to be cropping up all over the place,especially this past year.Wouldnt mind seeing one of those tackle a bunny! Im told they do,although its hard to imagine given thier tiny size.
Hmmm,the Black Beast,maybe that was one of the wierd creatures that Rich claimed to have seen.Remember him showing me a chewed up rod butt once.Hed shot home,and on his return one of his rod butts had been almost completely stripped of duplon.Ive had plenty of chewed rod butts,and just lately had one of my wooden Daiwa tournament handles chewed up(ouch..),but ive never seen anything like Richs "eaten" rod butt.One thing for certain,it wasnt no rat!!!
This happened in one of the dark cave like swims allong the Lagoon bank,and i remember there being a dirty great burrow,freshly dug in the bank behind Richs brolly.Also seem to remember Rich filling it in with rocks a bit sharpish!
On the subject of the close season,your morals are right Al,and i too think its nice to have a close season of some description,particularly on the smaller more pressured venues.Soz if it read like i was implying that you dangled on the Mere during the spring,i know you wouldnt have done that.No,all i was saying was that theres plenty of rare birds,plants and animals about at times other than the spring.The question marks were just were just there to see whether youd found the same thing...that theres rare bird species present all yr round.
"Try it there in mid winter" - no thanks mate!!!
Nice to hear from you also,
Be lucky with your roach fishing(hoping to get out perching this sunday myself)
Tel
p.s. I still wonder about that common you know,looked like a different fish to DMs,much more chesty,chunky at the front end,broad across the shoulders but tear dropped towards the back end,seemed older in appearance as well if you know what i mean....similar shape to the 30 with the nick out the bottom lobe of its tail.

riverwhy
08-12-2001, 20:45
Hi Tel

<<<Love the story about the teacher,sounds about right,maybe he was the "phantom dumper" - reckon he used to place bog roll on top of his dogs poos so as to make it look like the anglers.

The anglers now look like dog poo with bog roll stuck on top?? Blimey! ;-)

<<< Hmmm,the Black Beast,maybe that was one of the wierd creatures that Rich claimed to have seen.Remember him showing me a chewed up rod butt once

I think if it had been the black beast it might have waited & chewed Rich up too! We really did see it, but not clearly, it was very spooky.. One time I had my dog tied up by my bivvy & just as it was getting dark it came bowling down the path. My dog went berserk, & my friend (not JH) & I turned just in time to see this black thing disappear into the bushes. My dog never barked like that at other dogs. Only people, orÂ…err.. strange thingsÂ….

<<< "Try it there in mid winter" - no thanks mate!!!

I caught some bloody big eels in the winter!!

<<<Be lucky with your roach fishing

hah! After that frost? And that lovely bright sunny day???

<<<(hoping to get out perching this sunday myself)

Been doing a bit of that on the Kennet in the past few weeks.. had some lovely perch up to 3.4, lots of 2's, all on float/centrepin
.You don't fancy the roach then? Have a word with PD & we'll go up the WildernessÂ… ;-)

that commonÂ… I'm sure the real big one is dead - your jaw would have dropped if you'd seen it.

ATB - Alan

CarponlineEditor
09-12-2001, 10:52
I cant help joining in but only to say this:

Many many years ago, the place was stunning. Not only because I and others who wandered ropund the banks didnt have a clue what swam around under the waves but also because of the wildlife.

I can honestly say that in those days it was a joy to fish for unknown 'myths' and I have rarely fished anywhere since that had the air of mystery like there.

I have not been back for many years now. I never caught one either, even though one early morning two of us saw a huge black fish which we just sat and watched, jaws on our chests, swimming slowly under some bushes with a couple of smaller commons.

I will always remember the place like those days and I dont want to go back and see how it has changed. I would think it would be lovely if it stayed as it was years ago, but that sort of thing is impossible.

Oh and I dont want to see those blooming luminous mozzy thingys that tried to kill us most of the time either, lol

Andy

carpsberg
09-12-2001, 14:40
I would just like to say that in the nine months or so of me using this site, I think this is the most fascinating and absorbing thread I have seen.
Thankyou Alan and also Terry for a great insight into one of the most significant waters in our carping history.
I too missed those CW articles first time round, and would love to see them re-produced.
Alan, perhaps you should speak to Ian about re-publishing them on here? Judging by the number of views of this thread, the articles would be very much welcomed by all!
Cheers, Dave ECHO

DanCleary
10-12-2001, 09:24
chewed rod butts could of been the deer?

RichardThompson
10-12-2001, 10:23
Those articles were some (if not the) best I've read in Carpworld. There can't be many places like the Mere left. I just hope I find one before everyone else...

Rich

Garth
10-12-2001, 16:21
I agree that this has been the best thread I have seen.

Good to see that two anglers who both care about the place agree on so much!

Crispy
10-12-2001, 17:16
Garth

You are so right mate, superb thread, nice to see one that isn't "hijacked", well done Tel and Al and everyone else, makes superb reading!

Nice one RMC!

Crispy
ECHO

Dav
10-12-2001, 21:27
Those articles in carpworld were from may '98 to oct '98 (Numbers 92-97). I thought they were much earlier than that, just realised how short my carp fishing life's been!! Just reading through them again. Pukka..

Keep it real!!
DAVE

Kroneys
11-12-2001, 21:55
Naive me no. I found the fish and this was prior to me fishing never fished the closed season this year, as the fish were dying and just monitered the water.Have been going over there for the past three years and seen most of whats in there so i think i have some idea dont you?
Yes i have fished it in the closed season and apart from yourself many have, and failed miserably.The carp that i saw would never let you near them closed season or not!
You say that common was four feet long and you underestimated it so are you saying it was longer?I Have seen many a carp in other waters (in and out) weighing in excess of 55lb and that one was on my own unhooking mat.I didnt see a common of your discription but there again you say you only saw it once in all the time you were there!!
Also i have seen the black mirror plenty of times, out of the water aswell when dm caught it.Did you like the photos?

Dav
04-01-2002, 22:39
Just wondering if anyone's heard anything on the netting?? Also, does anyone know what fish are left in there after the deaths??

Keep it real!!
DAVE

Yappi
05-01-2002, 21:49
Is it still being fished after the fish kill, and does anyone know for sure which fish were lost?
Yappi

Mark99
26-03-2004, 20:54
Do you know how (and who) the carp were stocked in there in the first place? ......... I was told a famous Carp water (started with a Y) was drained for the M25 construction and a few fish were dropped into the newly dug CM.

I used to fish Hythe Lagoon next door (not for carp) and used to see most of you carpers creeping about.

Hythe has some big ones in too. I used to see them when tenching/breaming. Shame.

Mark

Bream_Boy
26-03-2004, 22:42
I think I read (possibly in this thread) that the BM is from Bedfont and the other fish all came from various waters.

squirrel
28-03-2004, 18:38
Isn't the big linear from the CM in Hythe now??

4737carling
15-04-2004, 02:21
Whats the situation with the mere now then? Has there been any changes since this thread was in its prime? Are the fish still there?

Also i ve never been there, but would like to see it as i ve heard so much about it, I take it it alright just to have a walk around the place? im not gonna get busted or anything stupid??

Cheers

molly
22-04-2004, 23:31
the Mere has been a quite subject for a while, the sonning thread makes good reading, whats happening on the mere or is it Taboo?

DanCleary
23-04-2004, 10:29
nothing and no one is on the mere at the moment, I would know as I have been on another water close by quite a lot (not fishing) and seen no cars or persons.

molly
23-04-2004, 21:56
Righto Dan, not planning on fishing it just an interesting thread, is the place open for a walk around or is permission needed? wouldnt want to upset the status quo.

NorfolkBob
24-04-2004, 09:24
i was just reading Tenchy's chapter on the Mere last night and he mentioned a large scaley mirror guestimated at 40+. Did it ever get caught or was it the big two over 40? (the big mirror and common).

Hippy
24-04-2004, 10:10
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Righto Dan, not planning on fishing it just an interesting thread, is the place open for a walk around or is permission needed? wouldnt want to upset the status quo

[/ QUOTE ]

Fishing is not strictly permitted, and therefore, unless seriously planning to angle there, I would advise that no one walks round. It is on publicly accessable land, but it would be unfair on those there to draw attention.

Bob, do you mean the linear? This was caught at 43 by Dave Mallin (only ever caught 2/3 times I believe?), but is currently presumed dead?
Dave also took a big (38 10) common. I believe there is some debate about whether it was the same big common seen by Terry and Wayne. Is this one also presumed dead?

LOUGHNANE
24-04-2004, 13:12
Mallin had the linear at 40.12,hasnt been seen after that capture i believe.Heard his 38.10 common was one that died.

Years ago before the black mirror was known,the mere held a fish called 'pinky'(i think) which was the biggest-anyone know how big it grew?
*scott*

NorfolkBob
24-04-2004, 19:47
cheers Hippy that was indeed the one I meant. never knew he'd had that!

i thought Mallin also had THE common over 40?

wish i had one of these waters down the road - perhaps i have and need to look harder!

Paulharris
24-04-2004, 22:12
Nobody's had THE common. Dave Mallin did have a 38 common but not THE common.

carpmanjay
02-12-2012, 16:50
Bump for another all time classic thread

kenmundo
02-12-2012, 17:02
that's the one jay, good find. Hope all is well with you mate.

kirk,y boy
02-12-2012, 17:08
You're on it today Jay, nice find, keep diggin :thumbs:

youngie3213
02-12-2012, 18:25
Fascinating stuff, interesting how thoughts changed over the years about the place.

With hindsight wonder what would have happened if the carp had been moved either by captors or if had been able to be netted.

We will never know!

Had it on my list back in 1987/88 to fish when it was on the old ARC ticket, but decided Priory was more of a challenge! :bonk:

kenmundo
02-12-2012, 18:31
Not that I'm going to fish it, but where is Priory? Think I remember Tency talking about it in his book? Am I right?

carpmanjay
02-12-2012, 19:01
Woi oi ken, not bad mate thanks mate. The priory lake lost its biggen a few years ago now and yeah that's the one in tenchys book.

kenmundo
02-12-2012, 19:03
cheers bud.

youngie3213
02-12-2012, 19:30
Priorys big fish that died relatively recently was a fairly new edition to its stock, the lake had history of big fish long time before that one walked there!

But thats off thread.

carpark
02-12-2012, 19:37
riverwhy.co.uk/fishing_articles.htm

pucka read :thumbs:

farfromthesun
02-12-2012, 20:18
Great thread.

hyperloop
02-12-2012, 23:57
I've spent the entire evening lost in this and the Sonning thread. Two truly enthralling pieces of history, full of such mystery and passion, two traits that are noticeably absent from the majority of modern day angling.

Also, what a breath of fresh air it is to read such well written and thought provoking posts. A far cry from the illiterate nonsense that fills forums these days ;).

Hats off to you for finding these Carpmanjay.

bulove
03-12-2012, 08:58
How things have changed eh

bigbadjon
03-12-2012, 10:32
Brilliant reading:clap:

tadpole
03-12-2012, 15:11
Has it been ...'reseeded'...... yet....??

Regards Tad

Dave_M
03-12-2012, 15:45
heard a few fish swam up there from yateley way..
not cemex yateley btw..

kenmundo
03-12-2012, 16:05
hopefully it will be left alone for a long while. And nothing stupid will be put in there.

youngie3213
03-12-2012, 16:11
Also heard something is a foot down there. A few swam across the road as well the yateley connection mentioned.

Agree hope fish dont just get chucked in without thought.

stemainwaring
03-12-2012, 16:16
Maybe if people dont mention these things.......anglers "might" leave it alone.

lardbelly
03-12-2012, 16:24
Also heard something is a foot down there. A few swam across the road as well the yateley connection mentioned.

That is truly unbelievable :dissapoint:

ttlbramley
03-12-2012, 16:39
I really don't get why people say it should be left alone, they are fish and anglers are hunters. it's just down to whether people want to risk fishing there. what's the issue?

bobreid
03-12-2012, 17:17
I really don't get why people say it should be left alone, they are fish and anglers are hunters. it's just down to whether people want to risk fishing there. what's the issue?

Really it should be left alone full stop, fishing isn't permitted on there as we all know!

I've heard there's some nice scaley ones in there now!

Elty
03-12-2012, 17:27

No point keeping that ticket then. :mad:

Palmers dan
03-12-2012, 18:52
No point keeping that ticket then. :mad:

Ticket for where not sure you no what your talking about!

kirk,y boy
03-12-2012, 19:23
The water has suffered 2 fish kills now, a 3rd may well be possible unfortunately, an historic water with 'once' historic fish, who knows if it could ever get back to it's former glory, I would like to think so but for now we should let her lie and dream of it becoming a reality for one day it may just be.......

youngie3213
03-12-2012, 20:18
Lets not get too nostalgic here!

I was involved in the ownership issues of Heron for many years, and it was made clear that at least 4 pits that side of of the motorway are under chance of Government compulsory purchase at a drop of a hat depending what the Department of Transport decide in the future, might be 5 years might be 20 years might be never.

As some know on here one pit a stones throw away from the Mere has been under planning permission threat of building a motel for years, its only the economic climate that has stopped it thus far.

Dont ever think a little thing of Colnmere being a SSSI will make any difference to its survival from Government decisions.

All good letting it mature again a fishery, that cant be fished, but then it might not even be there at all in 10 years!

Just a thought.

The_Saint
03-12-2012, 20:44
As some know on here one pit a stones throw away from the Mere has been under planning permission threat of building a motel for years, its only the economic climate that has stopped it thus far.

my wife works with a lady who's husband runs the activities there, so assuming we are talking about the same place, she will ask her about this tomorrow at pilates....

youngie3213
03-12-2012, 20:59
my wife works with a lady who's husband runs the activities there, so assuming we are talking about the same place, she will ask her about this tomorrow at pilates....

No mate, no activities go on there, just a pit. Think you are talking about Heron, disabled water ski, maybe. They are just under the possible future threat of DoT plans.

Dont want to mention the water or club on here, not fair on those fishing it. Only in the context of the Mere.

James9
03-12-2012, 22:13
The Mere will never be the same without the BM - no matter what is thrown in there. The placed turned into a circus come the end with 'bounty hunters' looking for the notch on the bedpost. There will never be another magical place like that with a fish as majestical as the BM, it was simply awesome angling which captivated not only your mind, but took over your life. It was simply awesome.

There are a few waters out there which still hold massive king carp. Long may they keep off the radar........

courtney
04-12-2012, 14:36
The Mere will never be the same without the BM - no matter what is thrown in there. The placed turned into a circus come the end with 'bounty hunters' looking for the notch on the bedpost. There will never be another magical place like that with a fish as majestical as the BM, it was simply awesome angling which captivated not only your mind, but took over your life. It was simply awesome.

There are a few waters out there which still hold massive king carp. Long may they keep off the radar........

Colnemere was so much more than any fish it contained.