PDA

View Full Version : South Lake. Help???

Carpgirl
02-08-2004, 12:53
Hi Guys and Girls

I have been fishing the South Lake for the past few months consisting of 6 24hour sessions,1 48 hour session and a 72 hour session mid week. It is a lovely lake and everyone is ever so friendly. What I would like to know is this: What am I doing wrong!!! I have tried all different methods from boilies to basics including caster, maggot, worm, corn etc... I have also tried many of the swims on the lake including 3 days in the boss, and still cant get that dreamed for 20.

In all of the hours I have spent there I have had 1 carp, 2 tench and a roach. Dissapointing to say the least but hey, thats carp fishing.

I would basically like to know what baits anyone has found work well on this water or what other things I could try to hopefully get that dream fish.

I even resorted to a bit of cheese as a hook bait (something different i thought) but nothing. http://www.rmcangling.co.uk/forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Any assistance would be great.

Carpgirl

Matt_C
02-08-2004, 13:21
Are you trying too hard?

I have found previously on South Lake that fishing to the snags between the Islands from either The Boss or the Car Park swims always gave you a good chance of fish - seemed to hold fish all the time. Also in the car park there are some nice margins. Some good productive swims off around Matts Corner area as well.

If I remember rightly fishing from The Boss there was a gully about 10ft back from the island that was a good shout.

South Lake is not a difficult water and doing the normal stuff should catch as long as you get your bait in the right place. I have found that they don't seem to like big beds of bait in there though.

The only thing with South lake is that the average size of fish in there seemed to be about 12lb - 14lb and I dont know what proportion of the stock are 20's. Fishing with my mate we have had some large hauls of fish (10 or more in a weekend) without getting a 20 between us.

Carpgirl
02-08-2004, 14:15
I must be.

I wouldn't mind catching 10 without getting a 20, but when you sit there for 24, 48 or 72 hours without a take, you can get a bit disheartened.

Matt_C
02-08-2004, 15:36
I have found that the car park and the boss are the best bet for action - others may disagree. The other parts of the lake can tend to be a bit moody.

xxxgaryxxx
02-08-2004, 21:44
Only fished the place a few times.. I quite like Fjords Gap, casting just under or apprx' 6 feet out from the point of the island using a single 14 mm bottom hookbait (or a snowman) with 10mm freebies (boilies) forgetting the use of a pva bag.. Squirrell and Cream Cajousers have worked well for me but so has a mix I like from Quality Baits. I also think it's more about location than the bait you are using so I wouldn't try messing too much on that front with the cheese etc.. get one of the first two baits in the right place and you should do ok.

p.s. If I remember right, the gravel bar finishes approx' 6 feet away from the over hanging tree.. I tended to have more takes fishing just off it than on it, hence the advice to fish fairly close to the overhanging tree so you're not right on top of the gravel bar.

p.s. there's also a little gravel bar / patch in the left hand corner of Matt's Corner, again, just out from the overhanging tree and about 10 feet out from the bank that runs up towards Fjords Gap... I believe produces well on hot days

Hope that helps.

Dave777
02-08-2004, 22:07
Fjords gap has produced for me too, on the bar. The margin to your left, next to the bush produced a few takes about dawn. Off of a little gravel patch. ASAP and squirel good.

Staff
03-08-2004, 13:12
I haven't fished the South Lake this year, but last year I had good success on it. Simple simple tactics did it for me. Nylon hook length knotless knot. Semi fixed lead. Bait was Assin-8 boilies with a little PVA net bag filled with matching pellets! Never had a 20 myself but caught on every occasion like this. I cast to showing fish, to the island, and a little gravel bar running along the bank with the houses on! And in the little back bay bit under the over hanging trees.