PDA

View Full Version : Proofing a bivvy

dolly
10-01-2001, 12:44
Yes ronseal really does work. I also have a profile and i proof mine with Fabsil. Avalible from most camping shops.

Dave

Smarts
10-01-2001, 13:00
Do you apply this just to the seams or all over?

Smarts

dolly
10-01-2001, 13:45
Whats the ronseal stuff actually called!

andyd
10-01-2001, 13:46
Thomsons Clearsil is also very good, I've used fabsil in the past but its not as good

ian
10-01-2001, 18:12
i think its called ronson water seal has a picture of a black sealion on the tin its use is for painting brick walls or render walls to make the water proof ,as people say thompson do one very similar and wickes do one as well dont know the name but ive used it ,any diy shop should have one or the other not cheap but the come in 5 liter tins which will last years

scorpio
10-01-2001, 18:51
Isn't it Tomsons water seal? Ronson does cigarrete lighters, Ronseal does Varnish, I am sure it is thompsons

Tony

bazza
10-01-2001, 21:45
does applying waterseal all over your bivvy alter the breathability of it? i would have thought it would render it unbreathable...

CarponlineEditor
11-01-2001, 17:04
I know a friend who fixed his with some gaffer tape. It is now tatally waterproof. He just looks like hes sitting under a spaceship as the tape he used was silver lol. Worked though. My second umbrella this season blew up on me yesterday and ended up in the bin. Good job I have waterproofs cos I'll have to sit in the rain now. Awwwwwww lol

Bovis
11-01-2001, 17:44
I have this very problem with mine, Fabsil never really worked. The best method I found is using the good old Vaseline smear it all over the seams. And yes that is the seams of your umbrella I mean.

scorpio
11-01-2001, 20:47
Watch it Bovis, it "seams" you are digging yourself a hole here /images/forum/icons/laugh.gif

Tony<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by scorpio on 11/01/01 08:48 PM.</FONT></P>

Lofte
11-01-2001, 20:52
LOL
K eep it real
Lofte

jimshelley
11-01-2001, 21:29
hi fisherman,
thomsons is pukka mate.
hope it goes alright.
be lucky
jimshelley
keeping it british.

jimrawcliffe
11-01-2001, 22:39
This is music to me ears boys. Glad to hear them profiles is keeping you all moist lads. Gloat Gloat. My adice. Chuck em away and get yourself a Real mans shelter, a Tails Up Valhalla Oval or a Babylon Bivvy. Mmmmmm warm and dry. A desirable residence. Sorry I just couldn't resist this.
By the way, I should say ello to Mr. Lightnin. How the Devil are you and why the Hell aren't you fishin? I'm sure Cheryl must have seen enough of you by now.
Cheers
JR
PS. Think I'll have to have a word with Mr. W. and see if I can encourage him to buy a load of back door Froggy monkies to stick in one of those puddles you're going to have a go at this year.
Yep I'm back on form me bucko.