PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen the winter weather prediction?

gingerbloke
14-10-2013, 14:14
Coldest winter for 100 years and record snowfall as early as November!
Apparently due to the jet stream being where it is that led to us having such a good summer.
Hope they are wrong. Was hoping to add significantly to the massive 4 nights I've done this year.

MasterCarpBaits
14-10-2013, 14:25
Hope not, was hoping to kick start my season this winter as I have only been out a hand full of times this year. doesn't sound promising though :(

Onslow
14-10-2013, 14:28
Thought the snow in Nov was the Sun hyping it up.

At least it'll get the fair weather anglers snuggled up next to their radiators sooner:thumbs:

Cooperman
14-10-2013, 14:58
they can't predict tomorrow's weather, what makes you think they can see into the future? Every year they say "long hot summer", "coldest winter for a decade" etc, etc.

I predict that it will be frosty from November until late March, with some mild patches in-between, with possible heavy snow fall in January and February, getting warmer towards the end of March. Doesn't take Einstein to predict the weather when you are being vague about it.

wac
14-10-2013, 15:08
Its usually the Daily Express that spouts stuff like that, and it did last week

If you look on the BBC Weather it even states

The weather beyond about a week ahead stretches even the most experienced weather forecaster. Complex numerical weather forecast models from the Met Office and the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) are run many times for the month (and season) ahead to build up a picture of the likelihood of different weather types affecting the UK.

Lea Valley Carper
14-10-2013, 15:11
Coldest winter for 100 years eh? ..............Thought that was last year! I fished in it regularly and it was bleedin orrible! :lol:

gingerbloke
14-10-2013, 15:16
Funny enough it was the express where I read it. I hope its bollox anyway. Your right coops they are usually wrong about these things.

Klewless
14-10-2013, 15:19
The jet-stream does have a significant bearing and if the wave like movement falters like it did a few years ago it leads to prolonged periods of cold Arctic air being pulled in across northern Europe again - brrrrrrrr.
Sweet j'sus I hope they're wrong...
Its been a late autumn... lots of leaves will be in the water just starting to decompose come November.

I hope the owners/managers of (smaller well stocked) waters are ready to allow gaseous exchange to avoid the tragedies that occurred on waters like Frimley Pit 2, Papercourt stock pond, etc a few winters ago....

stuart666
14-10-2013, 15:58
Apparently due to the jet stream being where it is that led to us having such a good summer.
Hope they are wrong. Was hoping to add significantly to the massive 4 nights I've done this year.

Thats 4 more nights than ive done.

gingerbloke
14-10-2013, 16:40
Lol! New addition to the family too?

qashqai
14-10-2013, 16:58
According to the long range met office forcast it is supposed to be a mild winter with a short cold snap in November,just hope they are correct !!!!!!!!!

common
14-10-2013, 17:26
Im pretty sure its going to be a brutal winter. I had a great feeling about the summer, and I always think they match up. Great summer, proper winter.

A few of us have been talking about winter campaigns this year. As long as the bait keeps going in...

Chasing Myths
14-10-2013, 17:31
I saw this yesterday, its the same forecasting group (Exacta Weather) that predicted the same story almost a year to this day - the Met Office have squashed the story, have to say the forecast at the minute for early November actually looks quite mild.

daveaylett
14-10-2013, 17:34
I thought the met office stopped doing medium range forecasting as it was too difficult to do with accuracy (remember the forecast for the BBQ summer they did the other year when we had record summer rainfall)
However,I do have a weather stone hanging up in the garden and found it spot on.
If it's wet it's raining,dry it's sunny and swinging means it's windy
Then there's groundhog day

Dannyboy1978
14-10-2013, 18:03
Coldest winter for 100 years eh? ..............Thought that was last year! I fished in it regularly and it was bleedin orrible! :lol: lol I fished in March and had minus 6 which made me buy a new sleeping bag

msc 63
14-10-2013, 18:05
What I use
http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy209/dudleywudley/b80dc640a93e6cad60448d83f6da98ae.jpg

daveaylett
14-10-2013, 18:13
That's where I got mine from !!!lol

gingerbloke
14-10-2013, 18:20
Ha ha, like that!

Lea Valley Carper
14-10-2013, 18:24
lol I fished in March and had minus 6 which made me buy a new sleeping bag

Sorry to go slightly off thread, did anyone read (and question) that guy in this months carpworld who did a diary of thirty thirties last year?

There was a picture of him in april (early april I think) holding a fish in a short sleeved shirt (possible as their was the odd sunny day), but more to the point, the bankside and reeds where green??!! This was supposedly on an Essex syndicate water which isn't a million miles from me. No Way........... It looked and felt pretty much like the middle of winter here in april last year.........we where still getting sleet and snow.

Tim1
14-10-2013, 18:44
Essex has its own microclimate

msc 63
14-10-2013, 18:53
Essex has its own microclimate

Is that why all the birds are Orange !!

Boycie04
14-10-2013, 18:59
Lol! New addition to the family too?

New addition here too, in July. Although I have managed 2 nights in the last couple of weeks but just wanted to be home with him. Was looking forward to the quiet banks and some long winter nights to catch up on sleep!

ChrisRobson
14-10-2013, 19:14

LOL, that's made me chuckle!

JSlinn
14-10-2013, 19:38

And usually a large amount of snow all year round.

Dannyboy1978
14-10-2013, 19:52
And usually a large amount of snow all year round. yep heard the orange birds love the snow big time _____________

farfromthesun
14-10-2013, 19:55
Yeah, right, all they do is complain they're cold.

Dannyboy1978
14-10-2013, 19:56
I'm still wanting a snow fish shot :-) pray that I wake up covered in snow but hasn't happened yet

alemac1
15-10-2013, 10:10

i heard it was something in the food haha

Cyprinius
15-10-2013, 10:23
I haven't seen the long range weather forecast, but I did see the forecast for last Friday on Thursday night - windy and peeing down rain.... Funny enough, it turned out to be a lovely day, with plenty of sunshine and a pleasant breeze.

.... So I don't think I'll be taking too much notice of what they're telling us will be happening in a few months time.

Nellyspania
15-10-2013, 12:10
Funny enough it was the express where I read it. I hope its bollox anyway. Your right coops they are usually wrong about these things.

The Daily Express weather stories are just that - made up stories (usually when they have run out of ideas for new stories about Madeline/Diana/Immigrants)

Santa3
15-10-2013, 12:26
Yes they do it every year,I remember September last year was coming back from a fishing trip to belgium and on boat went to shop at the Express said a mega winter storm was on it's way within weeks,pmsl........anyway santa's forecast is for some snow fall early December and then again mid january.

Phippo
15-10-2013, 18:13
The Daily Express weather stories are just that - made up stories (usually when they have run out of ideas for new stories about Madeline/Diana/Immigrants)

Bang on. The gulf stream could cause a prolonged spell of cold whether to sit over the UK, but nobody reallly knows, let alone those gutter journalists in disguise at the Express!

Dannyboy1978
16-10-2013, 20:47
Some nice south westerly winds this weekend il be out for a 24hr can't wait

shane24
17-10-2013, 08:13
It was quite hot towards the end of April this year, I had 2 weeks off work and spent most of it fishing... I distinctly remember it as I was surface fishing for 3 days and got toasted in the sun, last night of the 2 weeks my mate had a 43lb common from the opposite end of the lake!

shane24
17-10-2013, 08:15
Oh and could you actually see the difference between any of the 30 x 30s? To me they all looked like scaleless, pale looking peas in a pod...!

Deanmyster
17-10-2013, 12:09
There are numerous and sometimes conflicting forecasts for the coming winter flying around the internet, the media and the streets.

Some of these are based on little more than a gut instinct while others use computer modelling and analysis of atmospheric and oceanic variables, such as sea surface temperatures, extent of sea ice, the current La Niña episode and so on.

There are many old saws which try to predict the coming season’s weather, many referring to the behaviour of flora and fauna. November is no exception, with various sayings predicting how the winter will evolve based on the weather during the late autumn.

Perhaps the most famous is, “Ice in November to bear a duck, the rest of the winter will be slush and muck”. It is essentially saying that if November is cold and icy we can expect the winter to turn milder and wetter.

Several other sayings seem to complement this. For example, “A cold November, a warm Christmas” and “Ice in November brings mud in December” both indicate similar predictions.

In the last 50 years or so there have been seven notably cold Novembers. Of these, two were followed by mild winters, two by cold winters, and three where temperatures were near average.

Furthermore, the 16 very mild winters which have occurred since 1925 were preceded by one mild, 12 average, and three cold Novembers.

These figures suggest that there is no real correlation between the weather in November and the winter to follow. Moreover, which part of November do we use? November 2010 was quite mild for a while, and temperatures only fell below average after about the 21st. They have, however, done so in spectacularly cold fashion.

Whatever the method of prediction of winter weather people choose to use or believe, they should remember that seasonal forecasting is prone to large errors.

The_Poacher1
17-10-2013, 17:30
So, what you saying?

Lea Valley Carper
17-10-2013, 17:37
So, what you saying?

:lol:

common
17-10-2013, 17:55
So, what you saying?

He appears to be saying Jim, that he doesn't know either.

Floaters
17-10-2013, 18:18
nothing to worry about.......

http://www.ukweatherforecast.co.uk/terrible-tabloid-tales/

Deanmyster
17-10-2013, 18:59
He appears to be saying Jim, that he doesn't know either.

Exactly....

It is what it is, just get the rods out whatever the weather.

The_Poacher1
17-10-2013, 19:05
I can not understand it captain!

Mr Moody
17-10-2013, 19:23
Walthamstow will be cold, so very very cold, with or without snow. I love it!

Santa3
22-10-2013, 08:44
I see the Express have done it again today," Worst storm of the century on it's way" they do love to jazz things up..

common
22-10-2013, 08:53
I can not understand it captain!

Hang on a minute. Youre Jim. Now Im confused.

JSlinn
23-10-2013, 04:29
He talks to himself

bernard
30-10-2013, 01:40
Apparently hell is going to freeze over!
They can't get it right from 1hr to the next, let alone weeks in advance! You'll catch more than sitting in front of the tv!

dee bo
11-01-2014, 18:34
What ever happened to the predicted big freeze???:bonk:

davidof
11-01-2014, 18:43
Itv said the polar vortex is on its way but our mild air will turn it in to more wind and rain.

Surely we cant go the whole winter with no proper freeze.? I hope so because I still haven't been this winter and im feeling the itch a bit.

gingerbloke
11-01-2014, 18:46
Turned out to be rubbish didn't it. The seasons have definitely shifted forward a month though I reckon so you never now, it might happen yet?

daveaylett
11-01-2014, 23:14
Apparently hell is going to freeze over!
They can't get it right from 1hr to the next, let alone weeks in advance! You'll catch more than sitting in front of the tv!

For once they got it absolutely spot on.hell did in fact freeze over (yeeha)

yumbolt
12-01-2014, 08:53
Polar Vortex is that stickies new winter bait ?

Best bet for the weather is go outdoors, much more reliable.

Nellyspania
12-01-2014, 14:02
Daily express were peddling same tired old bull**** a couple of days back about the uk getting blasted with siberian weather from the east next week whereas everyone else was predicting southwesterlies :lol:

Blanker Joe
14-01-2014, 07:33
sensesational headlines always gets more viewers attention!

yumbolt
14-01-2014, 12:44
Guaranteed hose pipe ban here in the southeast even though we've had about 40 gazillion cubic meters fall !
Bloke over the back from me has started building an ark..

Humbers
06-02-2014, 13:34

Did they say anything about it raining in that forecast?

Are any of you guys still getting out on the bank or have conditions stopped the dangle?

Midlander
06-02-2014, 17:48
Polar Vortex is that stickies new winter bait ?

Best bet for the weather is go outdoors, much more reliable.

Do you get a better forecast i you use your discount card? :)

common
06-02-2014, 18:13
Did they say anything about it raining in that forecast?

Are any of you guys still getting out on the bank or have conditions stopped the dangle?

My pal is fishing tonight so I went for a brew and a catch up. To be honest it was 5'C and horrible, the rain was belting down and the fish hadn't done a bite for a while. I am not sad to be at home tonight.

NorthernJohn
06-02-2014, 18:38
Just photographed a mint 29-02 common for a mate. That is the 9th bite on the lake in the last two weeks (for than the last three winters put together. Wet, muddy but mild conditions and loving being out here away from the real world

yumbolt
07-02-2014, 16:24
[QUOTE=Midlander;2183232]Do you get a better forecast i you use your discount card? :)[/QUOT

Haha...i you don't.

The Dawg
07-02-2014, 18:02
A couple of fish have been out at our lake and it did feel a bit 'spring like' when I was there yesterday.

The trees and plants are budding early and there was 'love in the air' amongst some of the wildlife on the site. Today was a bit cooler though with a fresh westerly.

It's a comin......