PDA

View Full Version : fishing in/near snags

the gaffer
24-06-2013, 12:48
guys a slight issue i have with my ATTX alarms, i.e lack of indication in this perticular fishing synario??

Picture this, fished the weekend into a small bay thats only reachable from a swim 70 yards away and is at 90 degrees to the actual swim that i am fishing from, so i am fishing at effectively a right angle with one rod!! (no other swim on the lake can fish this area) fished solid bags with 3 inch hook links and drop of in line leads.

now i stood in the exact same spot and cast to a small but heavily baited area at 16 3/4 wraps, hit the spot on most occaissions (actually bagged 19 carp in the session so not to displeased ) but the problem i had was that on any take the fish could only actually go left, right or come back towards me.

You would think that most would turn and try and head out of the area?? or so i thought!! but no most went either left or right ( this only actually gives them anout 2 yards either of the baited spot to run into) obviously fishing with a reasonably tight clutch and line you would expect some form of indication, this however is not the case with the attx, now i am not slating ATTX and i am also not in a position to buy new alarms, however having had a great session banking 19, i also lost at least 10 or more carp due to no indication on the alarm. Yes i could and often did sit on my rods and effectively fished as if i was barbleing on the river watching the rod tip, but doing this for 2 days is proper hard work.

Any thoughts on fishing this synario to actually get a positve indication from my buzzers?? do i need to change the rig/lead set up etc etc.

cheers chaps ,

masterbaits.
24-06-2013, 13:04
How much potential room have the fish got mate? The title says in/near snags.

If room allows, could you not fish with a slight drop of a few inches on a heavy bobbin but still with a locked up clutch?

the gaffer
24-06-2013, 13:35
when the hookbait is picked up they have a maximum if 1.5 metres left or right, that being from 90 degrees from the angle of the line from the swim,

a bit confusing i thinks, imagine from the rod tip the line is at 90 degrees down to the lead into the bay on my left 60 odd yards away, the hookbait is very tight against the margin shelf, the carp on most takes either went left or right from that point so actually took no line at all

crowd11
24-06-2013, 14:24
I know it's not what you wanna hear but you need delkims.

T22
24-06-2013, 16:04
By fishing locked up it sounds like your not doing yourself any favours by making the fish kite on a tight line.
Maybe slacken off a little and sit on your rods or don't fish there at all, 10 lost fish is a bit excessive!

Clee
24-06-2013, 16:06
10 fish is way to many to lose, the swim should be roped of.

MrFrosty
24-06-2013, 16:42
Can you not use single bank sticks and point the rod at the snags?

MainMan
24-06-2013, 17:41
running rigs

Mulletmanmofo
24-06-2013, 18:04

That's what I was going to say and would do. Put the rod across the swim at a 90 degree angle

the gaffer
24-06-2013, 20:23
10 fish is way to many to lose, the swim should be roped of.

Dont be so daft clee, im fishing safe and not once did i lose a fish that was rammed in weed or caught around snags, the reason i lost fish is only down to no indication and not lifting into them, the carp were picking up the bait moving of left or right and droping it, its called getthing away with it!!!

When you reel in after a couple of hours and the rig is not where it originally landed then to me its been picked up does it not? ?????????

the gaffer
24-06-2013, 20:24

Thought about this mrfrosty, the swim thoufh is concrete based and only allows bank sticks in two areas straight out into the lake

the gaffer
24-06-2013, 20:27
running rigs

Thats a good shout, big heavey lead? ? Would you use a bead stopper a couple of feet up th leadcore or xshrink tube? ??

Suprafisher
24-06-2013, 21:54
get a long bankstick and put your buzzer out in the water 2-3ft to the left/right of your rod tip...get the bait in position place the rod on the rests, ensure the line is in the buzzer and tension it up so there is a slight bend in the rod. On a take the rod may take on more of a bend (hence the 2-3ft gap) or straighten either way it should be enough for a bleep or two.

Or another option is get a solar line clip and put your line lightly in that, if you have the bail arm roller set at the bottom and the clip up the butt a little you should get 4-5" of line released on a take, again enough for a few bleeps?

This is one of the few times when setting up in the garden to experiment might actually be justifiable!

Clee
25-06-2013, 06:54
Your first post never read like that mate, I had visions of fishing swimming round with tackle left in them.

reaper
25-06-2013, 07:37
How about using very heavy lead, drop off, bow string lines so the tip is well bent so when they pick up and disturb the lead the rod tip bounces back, gives indication and helps hooking ? Also try tripods if you cant get sticks in.

Sam32
25-06-2013, 12:11
If theres a good chance the fish will get snaged, I'd change the spot. 29 takes in 2 days, it cant be the hardest of waters so surely you could bag up somewhere else on the lake

the gaffer
25-06-2013, 13:16
If theres a good chance the fish will get snaged, I'd change the spot. 29 takes in 2 days, it cant be the hardest of waters so surely you could bag up somewhere else on the lake

i wish, 29 takes is a great session on there trust me, many many carpers spend the weekend down there and blank, i just got onto a spot where i knew the fish could be due to the weather conditions and made the most of it, most anglers would have 2,3,4, fish over a weekend!

Joephus
25-06-2013, 13:55
Sounds dangerous! With the line like that (90 degrees to your rod tip) there is no way of stopping the fish swimming towards your own bank and at that range you have little angle to pull them away from your own bank out into the lake. Surprised you landed as many as you did.

Your lack of indication is because there not taking any line or moving towards you, just kiting on a tight line as mentioned.

That is if I am reading your post correctly.

Pistacor
25-06-2013, 17:11
i wish, 29 takes is a great session on there trust me, many many carpers spend the weekend down there and blank, i just got onto a spot where i knew the fish could be due to the weather conditions and made the most of it, most anglers would have 2,3,4, fish over a weekend!

Not being funny but it's a runs water. The whole lakes population (which i'm guessing is in the hundreds) won't all be sitting on one area.

Buy a pod and point your rod tips at the spot.

wac
26-06-2013, 08:39
Change the rollers in the ATTX's from the standard 2 to 6, available at the Tackle Box. Miles more sensitive then