PDA

View Full Version : Hay feaver

bivyman
15-06-2013, 22:11
Just joined a new lake on a country estate and went there yesturday to have a chat/look around, the lake is in the middle of wild grass lands and i had to leave after about an hour my eyes started to itch really bad, when i got home i took a allergy relief tablet which did helped a bit but my eyes nearly closed with the swelling, today i woke up and my eye lids were stuck together and have not stoped weeping or itching all day even after taking another tablet washed my eyes a few times and even had the shower running into my eyes holding my eyes open by hand

Anyone had the same problem and found a cure/tablet that works?

mr_crabtree
15-06-2013, 22:23
Some years I suffer really bad mate. Personally I found piriteze to be the most effective but apparently different types behave differently for different people. I do find I have to take it for a while before I notice any difference though. A small smear of Vaseline up the nose can help and although I haven't tried it I read somewhere that eating locally harvested honey can help! A mate of mine who suffers it really badly every year has even gone as far as to dry clothes in a tumble drier so as to not pick up any pollen on the washing line!

JSlinn
16-06-2013, 00:17
Eat local honey should sort it

tuggers
16-06-2013, 07:40
Yesterday nearly killed me too! You can get medication prescribed if really bad. The stuff in the chemists are made from different ingredients and one normally works better than the other for each person, you just have to try them and see which is best for you.

hardtail
16-06-2013, 07:47
i use to have really bad hay fever for over 20 years vertually killed my fishing till i popped to the doctors to get the hay fever jab (in the ass may i add) after that i havent had any signs of it since and saved me a fortune in weekly tablets etc ,well worth the little jab

chadd
16-06-2013, 08:17
Never tried it but it's supposed to help

goldeneye243
16-06-2013, 08:34
I am struggling with cold like symptoms at the moment that I think might be hay fever. Going to get some honey I think :)

The_Saint
16-06-2013, 08:53
another bad hayfever w/e for me. throat feels closed, deffo my sign for hayfever.
local honey is a good call

LeeOn
16-06-2013, 08:55
Best make it manuka then goldeneye, for hayfever local honey only works taken long term and before you have a reaction ( through the winter realy) ive found.

bivyman
16-06-2013, 09:45
My eyes are still streaming and itching 2 days later

I don't like the taste of honey so thats not really an option for me

Hayfeaver jab in the arse thats a real possibility as i don't mind needles because i have testosterone injections every 10 weeks so im used to that.

At the minute i do think the type of tablet im taking is wrong for me, i usaly take one with anti-histomine in it but the ones ive got now don't say it has that in them, they were the only type they had at the airport when my wife and i went to poland to see our son getting married last saturday

I need to get some more later so will try and find the anti-histomine ones and give them a go

Cyprinius
16-06-2013, 10:49
Suffered from Hayfever all my life. Over the last few years I've found that Boot's own brand, non-drowsy tablets work for me - BUT... You have to keep taking them, one a day throughout the hayfever season It appears that they have a cumulative effect that doesn't work if you just take one whenever the hayfever is bad.

Good luck with finding something that works for you. I'm more than aware just what a pain in the arse it can be.

MiniMilk
16-06-2013, 13:19
You are suffering from allergic conjunctivitis. I would recommend not spraying water in eyes with eyelids open as increases risk of infection. A saline solution would be best. Go and consult your gp and or chemist. A antihistamine eye drop would be a good recommendation or possibly if you wear glasses, contact lenses as reduces the amount of eye exposed. Your going to want more than a tablet unfortunately. In certain cases can get an injection now to boost the effect. See your gp for more info. We see a lot of it my place of work being an opticians.

mikrog
16-06-2013, 13:58
My eyes are still streaming and itching 2 days later

I don't like the taste of honey so thats not really an option for me

Hayfeaver jab in the arse thats a real possibility as i don't mind needles because i have testosterone injections every 10 weeks so im used to that.

At the minute i do think the type of tablet im taking is wrong for me, i usaly take one with anti-histomine in it but the ones ive got now don't say it has that in them, they were the only type they had at the airport when my wife and i went to poland to see our son getting married last saturday

I need to get some more later so will try and find the anti-histomine ones and give them a go

Give Prevalin a go, quite new but some friends that suffer have found this to be quite effective. its one of the nasel type sprays, think boots and lloyds have it.

as someone who suffered since the age of 7 with real bad hay fever i would have to say that the local honey option is worth a ago even if your not a big fan of honey. i started taking a small teaspoon every morning with breakfast from feb onwards and have to say its made a massive difference. still get the odd day in the spring with cherry blossom but otherwise the last 3 years i have really not suffered at all. As i say you have to start early and stick with it but well worth it.

Hippy
16-06-2013, 14:25
Check the actuall active ingredients and use whichever own brand uses the same. I find cetirizene works for me, but needs to be taken everyday through summer!

carpman2
16-06-2013, 18:17
I have only suffered for the last few years strangly but after trying all the better known brands I have found the Sainsburys own brand one to be excellent. They do 2 versions but I think the non drowsy version is the one with loratadine in it. They sell it as one a day but sometimes it starts to wear off by late evening but at 1 for 14 days worth I'm not complaining.

BIGCHUB
16-06-2013, 18:55
Cetirizine work well for me as well but you have to take one tablet everyday for it to become effective and because I'm epileptic I have to be really careful which tablets I take in case they counteract the medication I'm on for that . Really cetirizine should be taken long before you get the symptoms of hay fever. Hay fever only tends to affect me at certain times of year so it must be a specific type of pollen. Also I don't know if anyone else has noticed any difference but wrap around sun glasses certainly helped to comabt the itchy eyes.
Now I live on the coast my hay fever isn't too bad but I remember years ago when I lived in the countryside all the pollen collected on my lungs and all I couldn't stop coughing. A really wrasping dry cough that was so bad I had to go to the doctors and be put on two very strong steroid inhalers.

bivyman
16-06-2013, 21:30
All seems to be ok at the minute seeing as its been raining most of the day LOL

It only seems to be wild grass pollen with me, i don't usaly have a problem with flower or tree pollens

The Mrs has bought me some Benadryl 1 a day tablets with Cetirizine so ill give them a try

bungle87
17-06-2013, 11:09
I used to suffer really bad, a few times I've gone fishing and had to just basically sleep the whole time to stop me from itching, try opticom eye drops mate they are the most effective for me, I put them in whenever my eyes started to feel itchy 20 times a day if I had to! Can't let hayfever ruin ur fishing one of the most horrible things! If u look what's in the branded tablets u will find the same stuff in most of the cheaper ones too, and I would have one every 12hrs not 24hrs!

Fingers
17-06-2013, 12:31
Been a sufferer of hayfever(grass pollen only) since i was 21(nearly 17 years), you really have to find what suits you and ultimately what works!. I originally took piriton(cant remember which product, but was a tablet every 3-4hrs) which was a pain in the arris, but it worked. Loretidine did not do anything on days like this weekend but worked on 'lower' days. The product i take for most of the grass pollen season(end of may-end of july) now is cetirizine one a day from sainsburys or such like(marketed by GalPharm?) but even on days where i know im going to rural places i will still resort to treating the problem rather treating the effect by using Beconase nasal spray. Do-not use the nasal sprays as your only treatment as reports suggests longterm usage can effect your sense of smell/sinuses. There is also an anti histimine type injection which can be administered annually in extreme cases.

BuggedByTench
17-06-2013, 19:40
You need to start your treatment (pills and nasal sparys) approximately 1 month before the pollens your reactive to are produced, I sh1t you not it will make all the difference. I've suffered since I 1983 and only recently made this discovery and life has been bliss ever since.

Hippy
17-06-2013, 20:04
I always remember getting into the Spindly Tree swim during my first season on Horton. At that point, it had done more bites than any other swim and produced both the forties (Parrot and shoulders).
It was the first time I had seen the swim empty and I dived in - just as the combine fired up and started cutting the rape seed in the field that runs about a rodlength behind your bivvy.
I spent five days almost unable to see and sleep, not daring to move out! Worst session of my life... and I blanked :(

sarob
18-06-2013, 16:33
Best thing i have found is a tablet called fexofenadine which you can only get from your Gp they dont like prescribing it because it is expensive but it does work. I have been a sufferer for about 30 years and this is the only thing that works. The jab is very difficult to get now as the wonderful nhs does not do it anymore and gp's dont like it eaither.

LIP
18-06-2013, 20:58
Zirtek works well for me and a couple of weeks of optrex eye drops,as stated earlier you need to be taking tablets early doors,I tend to start with tablets mid march time.

Bovis
18-06-2013, 21:20
I'm sure its going to kick off big style at any time for me, but touch wood my hayfever this year has been the best its been since i was a wee lad. I've had only 1 bad day since Spring starting, which was angling last Friday. I'm sure its due to get bad imminently as everything is in full bloom now and the tree's are full of sap.

What's everyone elses been like this year on the whole and are you a grass pollen or tree pollen sufferer? Be interested to hear.

I always take Loratadine tablets most days (May-July) each year, seems pretty good stuff on the whole and keeps it at bay moderately. Its one of those that if you take it before any symptoms arise in the morning it keeps it at bay for the day, but if the hayfever comes on bad and you then take the tablet it has little effect on it.

sheps31
19-06-2013, 10:33
I did my first ever river session on Monday night and my eyes are still streaming now. At times I was stood on the bank sneezing over 20 times, I looked up and people on the other side of the river were just staring at me in disbelief, lol. I am sat at my desk now and my eyes are still streaming even after eye drops, cetrizine and I have tried the fexofenadine but nothing seems to be working :(

In the past I have found that I have to keep changing the types of tablets I take as my body builds an immunity and my symptoms come back, even though the doctor says I shouldn't swap and change tablets

pest_control
20-06-2013, 18:46
Suffered from Hayfever all my life. Over the last few years I've found that Boot's own brand, non-drowsy tablets work for me - BUT... You have to keep taking them, one a day throughout the hayfever season It appears that they have a cumulative effect that doesn't work if you just take one whenever the hayfever is bad.

Good luck with finding something that works for you. I'm more than aware just what a pain in the arse it can be.

Spot on advice. You need to take the tablets regular throughout the season, once the symptoms start its to late, the tablets won't touch it. Also wearing sunglasses really helps me, once you've had that 1st rub of the eyes it's game over.

BuggedByTench
20-06-2013, 18:49
Sheps you're missing something in your medication, where's the nasal spray?

Ask the GP to prescribe you Fluticasone Propionate 50mcg (2 squirts each nostril once a day), combine this with the pills and eye drops and use daily from approximately 1 month before the hayfever season and not just when you have symptoms and you should notice a difference. Obviously come August most grasses have finished so you can then look to knock the treatment on the head for the next 6-8months unless fungi spores are a problem :lol:

sheps31
20-06-2013, 18:54
I forgot to say I am taking flixonase or beconase, whichever is at hand first, lol

I think I will go to the GP and see if there is anything stronger that they can prescribe :)

Mr.T
21-06-2013, 13:56
The nasal sprays work well, but I would rather take the tablets. Some of the tablets don't even work for a whole day even when they say they should do. But, I normally get hay fever quite bad, and when I get bitten my mozzies, my reactions to the bites are quite bad. I think Zirtek is the best for the people who suffer more than most.

LeeOn
21-06-2013, 16:53
Best thing i have found is a tablet called fexofenadine which you can only get from your Gp they dont like prescribing it because it is expensive but it does work. I have been a sufferer for about 30 years and this is the only thing that works. The jab is very difficult to get now as the wonderful nhs does not do it anymore and gp's dont like it eaither.

The Fexofenadine in 180mg tablets is what i was perscribed. i had a serious reaction to pollen at the time but they were very effective. Much more potent than any over the counter stuff, but a big tablet to swallow as i remember. As luck would have it over the last decade my hayfever has eased a lot, so much so that just the local honey over the winter keeps it down to just a runny nose and itchy eyes on high pollen days, where i used to all but stop breathing, and my eyes would swell shut.