PDA

View Full Version : snag/ fluro leaders

carpy12
02-06-2013, 19:09
hi, im after some advise regarding using either a snag leader or fluro leader. Im fishing a new lake and one of the most productive swims is the last swim on the bank with a tree lined unreachable bay to the right. the main problem with this is there is an old staging /jetty that is built using scaffold poles into the water between the trees(it doest come right out of the water but it protrudes the tree line). I have no intention of fishing into this bay. but the fish that I have hooked and landed have all been hooked in open water and both fish have darted round the staging and after wading out have been landed safely. I am fishing locked up and sitting on my rods but cant prevent it. after landing these fish I have noticed chaffing to the line were it has rubbed on the staging poles an im concerned I am going to get cut off one off these times. so I am looking for the safest way of preventing this! should I be using a snag leader ie a braided leader or a higher breaking strain fluro leader last thing a want if a fishing getting tethered so any advise would be great. thanks in advance

Lea Valley Carper
03-06-2013, 10:14
Check out the Solar "unleaded" in 80lb .......after all it's what Lockey designed for and uses at Rainbow. Snag central.

mikrog
03-06-2013, 11:12
Would say it depends how far up the line the chaffing is, last couple of foot then the solar unleaded or leadcore will do the job. If you need say a leader of twenty foot then something like the ultima mono leader in 25lbs b/s would be worth look at.

Lea Valley Carper
03-06-2013, 11:33
Would say it depends how far up the line the chaffing is, last couple of foot then the solar unleaded or leadcore will do the job. If you need say a leader of twenty foot then something like the ultima mono leader in 25lbs b/s would be worth look at.

I've used a rod length of the solar unleaded before, with a nice neat little splice, you could probably have the splice on the spool for casting too. As long as the splice is neat, it's a very supple material.

mark100
03-06-2013, 14:28
gardner subterfuge in 25lb