PDA

View Full Version : How far behind are the Seasons

strawberryblond
21-05-2013, 13:21
Currently out angling on the syndicate, got here earlier this morning and was amazed to find it teeming with tadpoles.
Pretty sure I read a chapter from a book written by Richie Mac going on about looking for tadpoles in March.
Well as its not far off June, how far behind are the seasons this year?
Pretty sure someone posted about having snow last week.
How many fatalities are going to happen to our quarry this year, afterall the seasons are all over the shop?

SouthEast Carper
21-05-2013, 14:11
I read somewhere that we are around about 4-6 weeks behind in our seasons at the moment and that is probably extending the longer this weather continues. Anyones guess mate.

The one thing that is constant though is the daylight hours and I think the fish and a lot of the natural world respond to that more so than the general weather.

Mr_Bump
21-05-2013, 14:44
They should be up and out of the water by June 16th, the track to a local pit is frog carnage at the start of the season :lol:

Bovis
21-05-2013, 15:31
1 thing is for certain my Havfever is yet to cause havock and that usually kicks off sometime between beginning of April and beginning of May.

I had my first fish off the top on 27th March last season, it was 19 degree's and perfectly sunny and warm. The same date this year it was 1 degree's with on/off snow! I had my first fish off top 2 days ago this year.

Greasemonkey
21-05-2013, 15:35
The large pit i fish has only produced one fish so far this year!! And it was only single figures. They are well behind as the carp are still out at mega range

JSlinn
21-05-2013, 15:48
I've been thinking its around the 2 month mark for the last ten years if not longer as feb/march tend to be the coldest months with high potential of snow, for the last 8 years its snowed on or around my birthday (mid April).

Midlander
21-05-2013, 20:51
I've been thinking its around the 2 month mark for the last ten years.

Yep, i'd go with that too.
Have thought for years that the seasons had shifted. We don't get summers like we used to when i was a kid, School holidays back in the 70's we're nearly always warm n sunny...More likely to get snow or rain at best now till late august.

Greasemonkey
22-05-2013, 07:42
Yep, i'd go with that too.
Have thought for years that the seasons had shifted. We don't get summers like we used to when i was a kid, School holidays back in the 70's we're nearly always warm n sunny...More likely to get snow or rain at best now till late august.

I was talking about this the other day, school summer holidays used to be SO hot, the grass brown and parched, it was relentless at times. Now we are lucking if we get a few warm days.

Mr_Bump
22-05-2013, 08:20
I was talking about this the other day, school summer holidays used to be SO hot, the grass brown and parched, it was relentless at times. Now we are lucking if we get a few warm days.

Global warming :lol:

Paul_not_the_bailiff
22-05-2013, 08:27
It's now been changed to 'Climate Change' so that any weather event/pattern can be blamed (and taxed) on mankind.

I'm sure that I read or heard somewhere recently that the warmimg has slowed considerably over the last 5 or so years.

Global warming :lol:

Mr_Bump
22-05-2013, 08:33
You mean they got it wrong?

;)

The_Saint
22-05-2013, 08:49
plenty of tadpoles in the local pond at the moment. itching to get the eel rods out, but still think it is still too cold, which when you consider the summer equinox is in 4 weeks time, it is crazy.

Neil_D
22-05-2013, 09:08
On this day last year I was woken by the carp crashing through the lily pads on a local lake as they went through their spawning rituals. This year on the same lake I can't even see the lilies under water.

youngie3213
22-05-2013, 12:17
Climate Change is the right term, not Global Warming.

There is only circumstantial evidence that global temperatures are changing, and they are based only on human observations over a mere 100 years. Perhaps its escaped some doom and gloom merchants across the world who want their 5 minutes of fame that the world is significantly older than 100 years!

Its been recognised even within our paltry 100 years of weather observations that there are many fluctuations across the world in things that effect the weather.
In our case the course of the Jetsream and North Atlantic Drift, and further afield El Nino and El Nina, which although are formed in warmer climes effect the whole worlds weather patterns for years following them.

Personally I think it is extremely arrogant of mankind to even suggest we are so magnificent that we could effect the power of nature, even if we wanted to.

As for the summers being always hot and sunny in the school holidays in the 70s, sadly the records dont show that, with the exception of 1976. And even that wasnt as hot as some summers in the 90s.
When we were kids we always remember the best bits, after all those 6 weeks lastest a lifetime when I was a kid, now six weeks pass in seemingly seconds!!

On the plus side, the shift south of the North Atlantic Drift has meant that the numbers of elvers arriving in the Severn has risen from 1 million in 2009 to 100 million this year. For good or bad, the Eel is back!!!

Mr_Bump
22-05-2013, 12:20
Bad luck for those elvers, the poor ******s come back just when theres a bunch of otters waiting for them!

Midlander
23-05-2013, 17:26
Bad luck for those elvers, the poor ******s come back just when theres a bunch of otters waiting for them!

Them otters can gladly have em if they leave the carp alone.

Mr.T
23-05-2013, 22:39
Global warming hasn't been mentioned in the news lately, and I wonder why ? May and summer still hasn't arrived.

Matt_C
24-05-2013, 07:46
4 degrees last night in Camberley, my car gave me an ice warning just over 1 week away from June...

Mr_Bump
24-05-2013, 08:13
Im currently in the middle of the North Sea, 60 knot winds and 10M waves last night. Had nothing like this during the winter.

A friend is further north, arctic circle, lovely and warm, little wind and sunny days.

Screwed up isnt the word.

qashqai
24-05-2013, 16:36
Global warming hasn't been mentioned in the news lately, and I wonder why ? May and summer still hasn't arrived.

According to the latest data the earth has been cooling down every year since the year 1999

Ron83
24-05-2013, 22:31
As said above I can only really judge it oy hayfever which is usally in full swing by now - this year hastn hit me yet.