PDA

View Full Version : Are Catfish farmed in England ?

JBULLA
25-06-2012, 08:21
Anyone know what kind of stuff Catfish would be fed in fish farms ?

And if yes, where would one purchase this stuff in bulk ?

karpychris
25-06-2012, 09:07
Farmed catfish like carp are reared on pellet.
The same that can be purchased from an animal feed store

common
25-06-2012, 09:09
Hi JB

Cats arent farmed here as far as Im aware, however that doesnt mean they wont be on a farm somewhere. The fish farms Ive been on just have havent had any cat ponds.

Re feed, they are fed pellets just like most aquacultured species. Well, the ones Ive seen that are kept for research are fed pellets and they are fine. I also had a good friend undertake a tagging study on them and those fish were fed pellets too so Im pretty sure you can go with a good old fishmeal pellet and feel confident.

Jack.

Cooperman
25-06-2012, 14:13
Coppens do a cat fish pellet which is specifically designed for their dietary needs, used all over Europe by the cat fish farmers.

ADS1
25-06-2012, 20:48
Coppens do a cat fish pellet which is specifically designed for their dietary needs, used all over Europe by the cat fish farmers.

Coops, with the majority of Cat waters in the UK being carp/coarse waters would introducing this in significant volumes have a negative effect on the other species present?

Just wondering as I guess the matabolic system of a cat is, I assume, quite different

Ads