PDA

View Full Version : Seriously Read This

mark2002
15-09-2010, 19:10
Wildlife Trust bans fishing at 65 of its waters

If there was ever a reason to get behind the Angling Trust. Now is the time....

Angling has begun the fight against an ‘anti-fishing’ wildlife organisation after it banned the sport at 65 of its waters.

The Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust has caused outrage among local anglers and fishing clubs with its decision to stop fishing at all but one of its reserves, including the popular Sutton and Lound gravel pits and the 450-hectare Idle Valley Reserve at Retford.

Not only has the controversial decision made by the organisation, which is part of a wider network of 47 Wildlife Trusts who own and control 2,200 sites throughout the UK, been made with little or no consultation with angling communities, but it’s news that also sets a worrying precedent for the future of fishing at other WT venues.

But the Angling Trust and the Pike Angling Club of Great Britain have vowed to fight the decision, and both are already in discussions with top representatives at the Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust to set up a meeting to look at its controversial decision.

“It’s impossible not to be concerned, as many of these waters have been enjoyed by anglers for many, many years, and they’ve been taken away with little or no warning whatsoever,” said Mike Heylin, Chairman of the Angling Trust.

“The trust is teaming up with the PAC and local anglers to try to turn some of these decisions around. I just hope that other Wildlife Trusts don’t have the same negative view of angling because they control a lot of water around the country.”
Nottingham Anglers Association is one of the biggest clubs in the area and still has fishing rights at a venue that’s under the control of the Wildlife Trust, a body partially funded by Natural England.

Members have enjoyed the first-class bream and pike fishing at Attenborough Nature Reserve for many years, but recently the NWT has slowly been restricting fishing, and now over 40 per cent of the complex is out of bounds to anglers.
“Organisations like this always say that they’re pro-angling, but how can they be when they’ve banned fishing at so many venues? Their actions contradict their words,” said David Kent, chairman of NAA.

“Every year they take a bit more of Attenborough away from us, and I really think that this venue could be next to see a total ban.”

Angling Times contacted the Nottingham Wildlife Trust and it supplied this statement:

“Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust, one of 47 individual Wildlife Trusts across the UK, has a long-standing policy of not allowing recreational fishing, hunting or shooting at nature reserves where it holds the rights to control such activities.

“It manages several sites where it does not hold these rights and, as such, has experience of working closely with people exercising those rights to maximise benefits to wildlife. Across the UK, the Wildlife Trusts have close working relationships with many angling clubs such as Nottingham Anglers Association and other river trusts.”

As mentioned above Attenborough gravels is controlled by notts AA, now you southerners may not be to concerned till you find out that cemex own this land, if we as anglers dont do anything then our sport WILL be closed down. this is just the start.

WE MUST all join the Angling Trust NOW.

Dannyboy1978
15-09-2010, 19:20
Good point Mark but i see this being the start of chinese whispers amongst some members thinking this will happen to cemex waters, whats the bet within a week it will be news that some waters are gonna ban fishing....

DavoTheRavo
15-09-2010, 19:25
The AT should get in touch with the EA and everyone that buys a rod license should automatically be signed up, even if it's costs a couple quid extra.
I can't see any other way of getting the AT the weight of numbers it may need in the future.

jamiebell
15-09-2010, 19:33
the bird pervs and all other organisations have been slowly ruining attenborough for years :mad: bit by bit they wont be happy until the whole place is ruined

i remember only 10 years ago you could go and get lost down there for days on end fishing new little spots and no one knowing about it and now its a different story all together

VanDiesil
15-09-2010, 19:33
Club I am a committee member of almost folded last year due to the "Angling Trust" making promises over legal action that the NFA were fully backing.AT promised to carry on the case as it was nearing completion with the club due to being awarded costs and compensation (which would easily have cleared any costs to the Angling Trust should there have been any), yet as soon as the Angling Trust took over, they broke their promise and pulled out of everything losing the club almost every penny in their coffers.
I would rather give up angling than join the AT and if it was made compulsory through the rod license, my gear would be up for sale instantly.

JasonM
15-09-2010, 21:18
To be honest some anglers are our worst enemy, I've seen folk in the past carp fishing (yes I hate to say it but mostly carp anglers) do nothing but tarnish the reputation of angling, the drinking, the antisocial bankside behaviour.
Shooting at birdlife with air rifles or using laser pens to scare them and even setting their dogs on geese and swans.

If you were a member of the wildlife trust and saw this happening put yourself in their shoes....

Comfortably_Numb
15-09-2010, 21:28
I agree, but not sure its relevant to original post, but we do not have a right to fish these waters & therefore we should treat the water, its inhabitants & surroundings with utmost respect .... unfortunately a lot of our breed of angler fall very short of whats required for this

Carpandco
16-09-2010, 06:41
my grandfather was one of the founding members of the nottinghamshire wildlife trust

this would have never happened while he was alive :(

but saying that you cannot blame them, they want the areas to remain unspoilt for our native wildlife to flourish

watto
16-09-2010, 07:13
I must be physic, I said something like this would happen and that it would be the wildlife trusts to go first and it has. Watch the others follow suit.

Slowly slowly catchee monkey. Enjoy it.

mark2002
16-09-2010, 07:31
its going to be a slow thing but its started

hubbs
16-09-2010, 07:59
free fishing for all...

PondPikey
16-09-2010, 10:47
Official Reply from WT I had regarding this:

I think the rumour you refer to started with a piece in the Angling Times of 3rd September. This reported that Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust ‘has banned fishing on 65 of 66 reserves’ and speculated that the news ‘set a worrying precedent for the future of fishing at other Wildlife Trust venues’.fficeffice" />>>
>>
In fact, of its 70 nature reserves, there are 21 which contain water bodies with any potential for fishing. Fishing is permitted on five of these sites currently. It has not been permitted at the others since 1987. So the AT piece does not reflect the reality of the situation in Nottinghamshire or that across the Wildlife Trusts.

Across the UK the 47 individual Wildlife Trusts work with fishery interests in a diversity of ways. We join forces with anglers to tackle control of non-native species, such as Himalayan balsam, along river corridors. We work with anglers to enhance habitat to benefit fish and other species and we share many of the same aspirations e.g. to see barriers to fish migration removed and water quality improved in rivers and wetlands. As you say anglers are also an incredibly valuable source of wildlife information and they often send local Trusts records of wildlife they have seen.
>>
I totally agree with you that responsible angling can (and often does) go hand in hand with nature and nature conservation and we have some great examples of where this works well on nature reserves (for example at sites in Derbyshire, Cheshire and Radnorshire) and in the wider countryside -where Wildlife Trusts work closely with angling clubs, the Rivers Trusts, the Angling Trust and the Wild Trout Trust.

I hope that provides you with some reassurance, but if you would like to discuss this further please don’t hesitate to contact me

Crispy
16-09-2010, 12:17
And that is why the Angling Trust is a joke, it's own chairman hasn't got a clue!!!

I would love to be more positive about it and get behind them but as I have said all along, it is being run by the wrong people. Respectfully they are people who are probably very good at many things, but running an organisation such as the angling trust, no!

Olly1
16-09-2010, 12:35
Having worked with WTs on behalf of angling I agree with Crispy!

Negotiate not dictate!