PDA

View Full Version : tiger nuts

carpywire
12-09-2010, 08:38
hi all im thinkin of doing a bit of pre baiting up with tiger nuts but iv heard it doesnt work coz they get full up on em strait away can anybody please tell me is this true or cud i bait up with them :confused:

cheers daz:D

simon39
12-09-2010, 08:48
ive used them to good effect over the years, carp love the crunchy texture of a nut, but obviously you dont want to be prebaiting with kilo's a handful or two on a few spots on a regular basis along with a few chops, or a bit of hemp will get fish visiting your spots over a period of time:thumbs: Just make sure there prepared properly

carpywire
12-09-2010, 08:52
ive used them to good effect over the years, carp love the crunchy texture of a nut, but obviously you dont want to be prebaiting with kilo's a handful or two on a few spots on a regular basis along with a few chops, or a bit of hemp will get fish visiting your spots over a period of time:thumbs: Just make sure there prepared properly
cheers mate ye i defo wont be baitin with kilo.s as ya say just handfulls now and then so do ya think maize and hemp will do the job then with em and yes i always get em ready made anythin like that ya cant take chances ;)

simon39
12-09-2010, 08:58
Yes mate you can use any combinations you want, thats the beauty of using particles, my advise would be little and often. Tigers aint that daunting to prepare yourself and work out alot cheaper than buying them in a jar, especially if your going to be using them regular over a long period of time. I soak them for 48 hrs in cold water and then bring them to the boil in a pan and continue boiling for 35 mins

carpywire
12-09-2010, 08:59
Yes mate you can use any combinations you want, thats the beauty of using particles, my advise would be little and often. Tigers aint that daunting to prepare yourself and work out alot cheaper than buying them in a jar, especially if your going to be using them regular over a long period of time. I soak them for 48 hrs in cold water and then bring them to the boil in a pan and continue boiling for 35 mins
cheers m8 nice one :thumbs: :D

donkey choker
12-09-2010, 14:37
I don`t know about them filling up on them, in my experience they can`t fully digest them first time round and tend to c**p them out all over the lake thereby baiting other areas for you. Not even sure digestion takes place second time or ad infinitum ( obviously eventually they do ).

The big plus here is for every kilo you put in, it acts like several kilos. Even depositing bait in areas where they feel safe, therefore no need to overdo it with bait.

Great bait, nearly as good as peanuts.

DC

Fish on....
12-09-2010, 20:24
I prepared my own tigers the other day, can anyone tell me how hard they are/should be when prepared? I cant break mine between my fingers, is this normal or are they to hard?

I soaked them for 48 hours then brought to the boil and simmered for half hour or so.

Thanks
Sorry for hijacking the thread.

donkey choker
13-09-2010, 17:16
Quite normal, should be crunchy.

DC

simon39
13-09-2010, 17:41
I prepared my own tigers the other day, can anyone tell me how hard they are/should be when prepared? I cant break mine between my fingers, is this normal or are they to hard?

I soaked them for 48 hours then brought to the boil and simmered for half hour or so.

Thanks
Sorry for hijacking the thread.

They want go soft pal the way you have prepared them is spot on:thumbs:

Fish on....
14-09-2010, 17:31
Great, cheers guys.

courcha92
15-09-2010, 09:02
I all-ways use tigers when I can and have had some nice fish of them
a great tip I saw in a MAG was to get a small tub and put about 5-10 tigers in there and poor a can on normal coke in there. think of it like turbo charging them ;)

sidsnot65
15-09-2010, 12:17
I scrape off the skin on my hookbaits with a sharp knife , makes your hookbait stand out from the crowd

Goose144
15-09-2010, 12:47
I LOVE tigers. become a massive convert this year

topdog78
15-09-2010, 13:02
Same here, never had confidence in them before this year until i baited a margin spot with cell boilies, hemp and tigers and then witnessing carp on my spot eating the tigers and ignoring the boilies completely :confused: .

Mrtumble
15-09-2010, 15:15
So what would you guys with experience of fishing with tigers say is the best way of feeding them? i.e I will put in about 1kg of boilies over each rod on a everage start to a session but I know tigers should be used in lesser amounts how about 30 tigers instead of 150 boilies? what do you guys think

Carp-Hunter-77
16-09-2010, 09:05
when fishing with generally i used them with a small bag, of 6 free offerings and then the deadly one on the hair, or if i spod i'll generally go with a 1/2 kilo of tigers to about 5k of mix, these will be jumbo and mini's

tonystone
16-09-2010, 09:48
once prepared, what is the best way of keeping them, frozen??
Also if i wanted to keep a pot in my bag for hookbaits, what sorta soak will they need to be stored in to preserve them and how long will they last?

robhale
16-09-2010, 11:12
Tigers are perfect for freezing. Keep them in the cooking juices and either bag them up or freeze them in the bait buckets as I do in a chest freezer.

Just take a bucket out 48 hours before you leave.

Carp-Hunter-77
16-09-2010, 11:15
feezer, for storing once cooked

i keep a small tub in my bag with juice and loads of sugar

tonystone
16-09-2010, 16:03
how much sugar is needed for a pot with say 30-40 baits in it?
Does the sugar affect the nuts at all?
Is there anything else that will preserve them?

Goose144
16-09-2010, 17:07
I can only see sugar enhancing the nuts attraction, the best preservative in this situation IMO

tonystone
16-09-2010, 18:13
cool, think maybe i should get some to try.
Do other species like barbel, bream or tench eat them also?

darran
16-09-2010, 19:24
An 'enigma' who once frequently graced this forum, revealed an underground trick with preparing Tiger Nuts that was rumored to be an absolutely deadly bait.

If you look back through the archives, you might just come across this trick.

Think the fella who posted was called Nick Mossi or something :)

Herman
16-09-2010, 19:58
Kept some in a small container in Intense sweetner (nash) for over two years, used to use them for hookbaits and very effective they were too..(0:

TipTop
21-09-2010, 08:37
my experience and view on tigernuts is to use them sparingly. I have used them to best success spreading them across my swim.....spread them over an area of 5-10 metre square. Keeps the carp interested and hunting for the next pick up............ Also on a local match lake, they almost always outfish the boilie by about 3-1.....
get on the particle......much cheaper also

regards,
John