PDA

View Full Version : lockwood res

Mrtumble
09-09-2010, 20:22
anyone had a dabble on there ive been hearing word it is worth putting time into

twarner
09-09-2010, 20:24
done a bit on there what av u heard

Mrtumble
09-09-2010, 20:27
just that its worth the hassle of alot of hours a couple of fish worth fishing for

paul.v
09-09-2010, 20:30
ssshhhhhhh nothing in there better off on the no1

twarner
09-09-2010, 20:34
reckon no more than 10 fish max had 4 fish 3 of them twice 1 of them 3 times to scraper 30 the biggest 1 i had came out at 34 earlier in the yr not sure if theres anything better than that but u never know what could turn up

paul.v
09-09-2010, 21:02
your be chasing dreams read terrys book and martin clarks it aint what it used to be. nothing last for ever

Anthonyd
10-09-2010, 07:43
was drained down and most of the fish took out. some left the complex entirely. known big fish went in west warwick, a lot of them passed on now.

sub was a low forty in the end by the way

Lee S
10-09-2010, 15:55
on t'other hand, plenty of room for casting up the Dan!

citycountry
17-09-2010, 20:31
Any photos of these fish? I've seen a few...would like to know if they've been out.....
it's nice and quiet up there but also quite alot of this :brick: :bonk:

Python
22-09-2010, 20:00
your be chasing dreams read terrys book and martin clarks it aint what it used to be. nothing last for ever
You're dead right mate, it had some real big fish in years ago and was a real challenge (unless you poached it at night!) Don't think it's worth it now though, better off going on the Lower or Higher next door. Shame really because there is a ressy there that has the potential to produce some huge carp, if only they put them in there instead of taking them out!

travelling carper
22-09-2010, 21:07
i fished the lockwood for a couple of years in the late 90s same time as phil harper, clarke ,terry came up for a dabble didnt like the look of it said it was a bit bare for him it always was rumoured to have something special in tatoo kevin fished it most evenings for years he always said the sub was the biggest then they had the fish kill and some were moved to the warwick as with most of the dealings to do with the stow its done very badly some stunning fish fantastic opertunity wasted (fished it for 20 years)

Lee S
22-09-2010, 22:44
as with most of the dealings to do with the stow its done very badly

You certainly got that right!

Fished it from about '83/'84 through the 90's too, could easily have been a premier complex imo.

Look at what the Coppermill stream held at one point! Now it's empty!

Caught my first 'propper' Carp from the Coppermill, all 10lb 5oz of it on a float fished trotted boilie of all things (it was intentional) and served my apprenticeship on there for god knows how many seasons.

A couple of years ago i went back for a couple of sessions but it'll never be the same for me personally now.

such a waste.

fishmaster
23-09-2010, 09:27
:brick:make you right there lee, not a patch on what it was, but saying that there are still some good fish in there, just not an easy place.
what thames water let happen to the coppermill was scandalous mate, that place was rammed every day of the week and had a phenominal amount of fish in it, the revenue they must of lost just from the anglers on there....then they moan they havn't got any money.

andyd
23-09-2010, 09:37
What did happen to the coppermill? I used to fish it in lat eighties and it was possible to get large bags of big roach on the right day, went back in the late nineties and it seemed devoid of fish, I assumed it had been hammered by the cormorants, or did something else happen

Hitchy
23-09-2010, 09:46
Used to be good Barbel too, used to see hords of them down past the section you couldnt fish where the pipes run from one bank to the other along the banks of the lower.

Still decent Chub in their or there was a couple of years back, good carp too but all up river on the train-track side.

Still see the odd angler fishing the 1st swim opposite the pub next to the bridge, wonder if the paper plates still yeild much?

Paul_the_Bailiff
23-09-2010, 10:10
What did happen to the coppermill? I used to fish it in lat eighties and it was possible to get large bags of big roach on the right day, went back in the late nineties and it seemed devoid of fish, I assumed it had been hammered by the cormorants, or did something else happen

The Black Plague.

Hitchy
23-09-2010, 10:22
The Black Plague.

Seen what their droppings has done to all the tree's on the islands too :dissapoint:

There is meant to be over 500 nesting pair's on the Stow site.... A thousand ffs and I bet that's conservative.

Read a very interesting and factual article of John Wilson's in a recent Carpworld - Cormorants combinded with Otter's = total wipe out.

The Cormorants will take the small fish that do successfully spawn and what do manage to filter through to adulthood will be had by the Otter's, doesn't bode well at all.

mark boyle
23-09-2010, 10:29
popped back over there a few years back joe and was blown away by the amount of cormorants over there, all settled up in the tree's looking like vultures.

lump
23-09-2010, 11:10
Stand to be beaten up by Brian the warden but didnt the carp from the coppermill end up in some lake near Hertford?

Dodgy dealings with the KG5 fish... tut tut

Stow could have been the best complex in the UK with the fish i witnessed being electrofished from their

dodgy w*****s

Dan_H
23-09-2010, 11:35
Many a lump has gone walkies from there....Better managed now though. Days only kills it for me.

LOUGHNANE2
23-09-2010, 12:46
Something very nice about the complex, just always enjoyed my time there.

Hitchy
23-09-2010, 12:57
Your right there, always enjoyed any time I have spent their & have fond memories from my younger year's but taking in to consideration what has gone on over their during the years you can only think how good it could have been…...

Example, the carp from the 1 where taken out a few years ago and sold on and it was to become a match fishery, ten years later it was re-stocked with carp, ten lost years of growth and fishery development! If that hadn't of happened the 1 would be a cracking water on par if not better than the 2-3 & to be honest the example given is only in respect of recent times, go back further & the running of the place was worse.

The last time I was over their it did seem as if things where changing, I hope they continue to do so. The water over their is top notch notch with the continued movement and fresh intakes of water that leads to an idea environment, you hardly ever catch gutty fish from their, lean and all fish.

One things for sure what ever happened in the past you can never knock the stock they stocked, classic fish.

Lee S
23-09-2010, 14:48
That's what i loved about the place, no matter what you fancied having a bash for, it was there (apart from Grayling i'd think)

Even as a teenager you could easily jump in any of those first 4 swims on the pub side and have 1lb roach a chuck! And if you were lucky to get in peg 1 under the bridge... :eek:

I wasted more hours over the Stow than anywhere i've ever fished even to this day. I think i'm very fortunate to have fished it at it's peak and have had fish from all the reservoirs (and river) on the complex bar the Lockwood obviously :rolleyes:

I'm trying to renew my passion for trotting and the stream was my first thought of venue, the reality is i'd probably be wasting my time on there now.

Holds some great memories for me though that place.

LOUGHNANE2
23-09-2010, 15:05
think it was two yrs ago the last time i was there, and before the gates opened shakey and his mate were flicking pellets into the stream, feeding a group of 4 or 5 carp. Biggest one a good upper 20.
Great sight, especially as id never seen a carp in a river before. Made the day

Lee S
23-09-2010, 15:21
right down the far end of the stream just before you get to the mill house we used to fish right in the margins under the bridge (you couldn't fish past the bridge)

bloody hell some of those takes were unreal! if you hooked into a 20lb+ fish when it was pumping through it was mental!

back in the day before realtree was fashionable lol.... it was said you wouldn't catch unless you wore cut downs in those days!

only small ones but look at the potential, cracking fish at the time.

(face blanked out incase DLC robs them for his website)

http://i52.tinypic.com/25kpgm8.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/e99hlg.jpg