PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of changing my DSLR?

masterbaiter
06-07-2010, 14:09
Hi boys i got one of the first DSLRs that came out, Nikon Dynax 5D. Although a good camera, im finindg that pictures on the latest point and shoots to be better and more vivid. Could it just be i need a new lense? Would you keep the camera and buy a better lense, would that make much difference,. I think its about 8 mega pixels, but even my missus handheld is 12.1 and takes a cracking photo. I mainly want it for nature, carp and holiday snaps. Any advise welcome as would like to avoid shelling out loads for a new camera if i dont need one. Cheers, MB

LUKE2709
06-07-2010, 15:20
Technology is always moving at a fast rate and yes some of the point and shoots do take cracking photo's but I think I'd stick to a DSLR, you have many more options with lenses etc and I don't think the mega pixel rating is a great issue unless you want to blow your photo's up to a very large size?

Les_Paul
06-07-2010, 15:35
Hi boys i got one of the first DSLRs that came out, Nikon Dynax 5D. Although a good camera, im finindg that pictures on the latest point and shoots to be better and more vivid. Could it just be i need a new lense? Would you keep the camera and buy a better lense, would that make much difference,. I think its about 8 mega pixels, but even my missus handheld is 12.1 and takes a cracking photo. I mainly want it for nature, carp and holiday snaps. Any advise welcome as would like to avoid shelling out loads for a new camera if i dont need one. Cheers, MB

Its not a Nikon but Konica Minolta who were swallowed up by Sony. That's your first consideration, do you have lenses for this camera because they should be compatible with the latest Sony bodies, so you could end up with a nice new DSLR without having to shell for lenses. Even the entry level Sony DSLR cameras are very good and competitively priced.

Failing that then yep technology has advanced a long long way since 2005 when your 5D was released so the latest higher end compacts might well be producing better image quality though may not be quite as versatile. As ever its down to cash and what you want the camera to do.

Shrop
09-07-2010, 15:58
If you have Konica Lenses, as Mr.Les says, they will fit Sony Alpha DSLRs. I have been using my Alpha for the past year or so; its not too bad for the money, but I am looking at upgrading it soon to a Canon or a Nikon. Sony are 'pretty,' new to the SLR market and have a lack of decent quality lenses, compared the Canon/Nikon, their accessories and terribly overpriced and their customer service is crap. They also have a lack of semi-pro style models, the A-700 is at least 2 years old now and needs updating, they have loads of low end models; 230/330/350/380/480/500... need I go on?! Then the full frame A850/900, a price gap of about 1.5K... a massive hole in the market that could be filled. I'm afraid I might go the dark side and splash out on a Nikon D300 or a Canon 7D soon.

MartinJ
10-07-2010, 16:11
I agree, if you haven't got a huge investment in lenses then do the sensible thing and go for one of the two market leaders; Canon or Nikon. You'll get top quality pics for your money.
I recently upgraded from Nikon D70 to D90 and it's an amazing piece of kit ;)

If you have Konica Lenses, as Mr.Les says, they will fit Sony Alpha DSLRs. I have been using my Alpha for the past year or so; its not too bad for the money, but I am looking at upgrading it soon to a Canon or a Nikon. Sony are 'pretty,' new to the SLR market and have a lack of decent quality lenses, compared the Canon/Nikon, their accessories and terribly overpriced and their customer service is crap. They also have a lack of semi-pro style models, the A-700 is at least 2 years old now and needs updating, they have loads of low end models; 230/330/350/380/480/500... need I go on?! Then the full frame A850/900, a price gap of about 1.5K... a massive hole in the market that could be filled. I'm afraid I might go the dark side and splash out on a Nikon D300 or a Canon 7D soon.

Les_Paul
10-07-2010, 23:38

You certainly would not regret getting a D300, it is a fantastic piece of kit and an absolute gem. The 7d is nice as well but I wonder if Canon have pushed the boundary with 18mp on APS C sensors. I'm testing one soon as the user claims his images are soft. I think the 7d might need some L glass to get the best from it.

Shrop
11-07-2010, 13:14
Nice one. I have been looking for a while to be honest. It has done me proud for the past year or so, getting to grips with all the different settings, but I feel I have exhausted it now. The lack of taking bursts of images, say 10 at 3 second intervals, something which 50 quid compacts can do, terrible low light handling, bad ISO noise even at ISO 400. I have heard nothing but praise of the A700, but as I say, its getting on and really showing it. I hope Sony get their act together and produce a mid-range, semi-pro style camera similar to the likes of the D300/7D; other wise, the Alpha, my tele-lens and nifty-fifty will be getting upgraded to a superior model.

Its a big jump up, but I feel it can be justified. My Alpha can take some nice shots, but I don't think its a patch on Canon/Nikons lower end models. Looks like a D300 with a 50mm f/1.4 and a wide angle Sigma or a 7D with an all round 'L' lens will soon drain my bank account!

Les_Paul
11-07-2010, 15:28
Yes the A700 is a very well specced camera and can certainly hold its own but as you say its showing its age and could do with a refresh. The D300 is about the same age but still very much the camera to beat on DX format as is the 7D ( alledged problems aside )

Fair play to Canon for updating their range they have possibly jumped ahead in their leap frog game with Nikon, but looking at Nikons release timeline new products will possibly appear around September no doubt sticking them back at the front. Not hearing anything from the Sony camp, but totally agree with them needing something to really match the likes of the cameras mentioned above. Not just that but without a choice of competitively priced lenses and accesories I wonder whether Sony can really crack the DSLR duoploly of Canikon unless their aim is to edge out Olympus and Pentax?

Sounds like your at a halfway house at the moment being somewhat invested in Sony glass, so making the jump might not be too painful if you get a decent price for the gear you have now. I did this 2 years ago offloading my Olympus gear and moving to Nikon. Never regretted it for a second.

Shrop
11-07-2010, 15:46
Sounds good then. Its a shame really. The A700 is well respected and the A100/200 are good little entry level SLRs. I don't think have gone the right way or trying to compete with Canon/Nikon. They have just released their range of NEX cameras; which are a sort of hybrid model, SLR style lenses in an expensive, gimmicky compact style body; never mind that! Give us some decent glass that can compete with Canon and Nikon, as well as a mid-ranged SLR akin to the 7D and D300!

masterbaiter
19-07-2010, 09:35
good descussion boys. i went ahead and got a Canon 550D. Even for a numpty like me the photos are awesome. i review them on my 37" LCD TV and the quality and sharpness are out of this world. managed to get on in currys for 620 as they done a price match deal, over the moon with it!

Benny_the_bream
19-07-2010, 19:48
Shrop some of the sony glass is the best around I have seen websites where cannon and nikon users modify the zeiss lenses to fit there bodies.
any zeiss or G will be superb
70-400 won lens of the year last year.